Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the 2015 "NEWBIE LOUNGE":
Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (FLAME FREE)

Thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE threads are archived here

And

2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Some very useful threads for new members to check include.

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

HELP DESK: Ask questions about Lounge Access, Challenges, Upgrades, Miles & Points

Link to thread covering Weather, IRROPS (irregular operations) etc. of significance affecting American Airlines' operations. This thread contains links to some very useful assistance, AA weather policy and other tools.

Print Wikipost

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM
United 1K SFO switching to AA

I need some guidance on :

* status match - I am a 1K (140K last year and $14K spend)
* airline lounge access - i have the United Presidential Plus card - what is hte comparable card or is AMEX Plat accepted?

Thanks for your help.

Bhavit
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA is offering a challenge to match your UA status:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

AMEX Platinum gets you AMEX a Centurion lounge access, nothing with AA.

Card: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:35 am

I asked this a few months back but didnt get a response so sorry for asking again.

I am flying on a BA issued ticket - ORD-DCA/IAD-LHR next week. The ORD-DCA leg is on AA metal (i assume I check in with AA at ORD then) with an airport change to my IAD-LHR flight on BA metal.

My question regards my bag. i will be checking a bag for these flights. I understand I will have to pick it up at DCA and recheck it for the next flight.

Will AA attempt to charge me for my bag because of the airport change makes it look like a domestic flight? My theory is that I should get this bag checked free because of my international itinerary.

thanks
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
Originally Posted by ridepow
I have a question about an AAdvantage member domestic upgrades while flying on AA-marketed, US-operated flights.

I did some research and it looks like AAdvantage members in the scenario are eligible for complimentary upgrades at the time of check-in. Is this correct?

My question is: do I need to check-in via the US Air website to confirm an upgrade or be added to the airport upgrade standby list? Going a bit further, it looks like I need to get the US Air record locator (which is different than the AA number) and login with the record locator? Or, can I go to the AA website and click 'change seats' to be redirected to the US Air website?

Any insight/tips/suggestions will be very much appreciated!
Just giving this a bump...might have gotten lost in the shuffle...
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by PJV33
I am flying on a BA issued ticket - ORD-DCA/IAD-LHR next week. The ORD-DCA leg is on AA metal (i assume I check in with AA at ORD then) with an airport change to my IAD-LHR flight on BA metal.

My question regards my bag. i will be checking a bag for these flights. I understand I will have to pick it up at DCA and recheck it for the next flight.

Will AA attempt to charge me for my bag because of the airport change makes it look like a domestic flight? My theory is that I should get this bag checked free because of my international itinerary.
How long is the layover between DCA-IAD. Is it merely a transit or are you staying for more than a day? If just a transit, then you are correct that the int'l itinerary determines what, if any, bag charge there will be. Thus, you should not be charged.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:13 pm

I have 5 hours between flights, so I should be ok then. thanks
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:44 pm

Can anyone help me out, please, with this refund issue
I thank you kindly
Old Feb 20, 2015, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Mahe
Can anyone help me out, please, with this refund issue
I thank you kindly
You were already refunded $91 for a broken Business Class seat on a YUL-MIA flight. How much more of a refund do you think you are entitled to, and why?
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You were already refunded $91 for a broken Business Class seat on a YUL-MIA flight. How much more of a refund do you think you are entitled to, and why?
The ticket cost was $933+
I really think it should be at least be half of the cost or double air miles
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:01 pm

gift card for award tax

Is it ok to use a generic $500 visa gift card to pay and book an AA award reservation? I didn't see gift card listed as an accepted form of payment, but I clicked credit card and after 5 minutes I received the email stating it was ticketed and paid for. I'm wondering if between now and my travel date will AA cancel the tickets because I used the gift card? Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oktoberfest
Is it ok to use a generic $500 visa gift card to pay and book an AA award reservation? I didn't see gift card listed as an accepted form of payment, but I clicked credit card and after 5 minutes I received the email stating it was ticketed and paid for. I'm wondering if between now and my travel date will AA cancel the tickets because I used the gift card? Thanks
A visa is a visa, they won't cancel the tickets
Old Feb 20, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Does anyone know of any good deals regarding the purchase of AA gift cards? Are there good secrets on getting discounts? Already took advantage of my AMEX Platinum $200. Thinking about buying cards from ABC gift cards but don't know how reliable this is...
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
It is not consistent w/AA compensation to refund 1/2 the cost of the ticket for a broken seat.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 7:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
What, exactly, was wrong with the seat that a 50% refund was being asked for? AA provided transportation, meals, drinks, and got you to your destination. You could have stayed behind and waited for the next flight if the seat was unacceptable, yet still decided to fly, so it must not have been a safety issue. Was it something like the seat not being able to properly recline? I'm surprised AA have you a 10% cash refund and just didn't give you some miles. Hard to see why you think a 50% cash refund is due with the details you've provided.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: IHG Plat
Originally Posted by indelible
AA changed my itinerary, booked on award (U).

Original itinerary: ONT-PHX-EWR-JFK-BHX (redeye PHX-EWR)

Current itinerary: ONT-PHX-DWF-EWR-JFK-BHX (9 hrs overnight in PHX)

Departure and arrival times and dates remain the same. All legs are on US except for JFK-BHX.

ONT is a co-terminal of LAX. Can I change it to LAX-JFK-BHX, with LAX-JFK on AA? With or without the fee? There are only Y and J fares available.
I put a hold on LAX-LHR the same day and just called them today, citing that the change in itinerary didn't work for me. I asked to have my flight changed to the new reservation. The rep took a few minutes to ask somebody for help, redepositing the points, canceling the flight, refunding the taxes, and reapplying the points to the new itinerary.

It was all done without having to pay the change fee despite it being a different origin (although they are co-terminals) and destination.

So I got a $5.60 refund from taxes and I got 2 U seats on the 77W.

+1 to AA!

Last edited by indelible; Feb 21, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.