Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page > [2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 2, 15, 12:15 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the 2015 "NEWBIE LOUNGE":
Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (FLAME FREE)

Thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE threads are archived here

And

2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Some very useful threads for new members to check include.

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

HELP DESK: Ask questions about Lounge Access, Challenges, Upgrades, Miles & Points

Link to thread covering Weather, IRROPS (irregular operations) etc. of significance affecting American Airlines' operations. This thread contains links to some very useful assistance, AA weather policy and other tools.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 5, 15, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Flying DFW-NRT-CGK and I no longer need to go to CGK. Will AA allow me to cancel the NRT-CGK-NRT segments without penalty? I could use the extra time for business in Tokyo.
Award travel, or paid travel?
Old Jan 5, 15, 2:45 pm

After volunteering to stay behind for 3 hours on a ORD-LAS flight in F (due to overbooking) i was issues 2x$12 in food vouchers (didn't need then as I used the Flagship Lounge) and $300 as a travel voucher. I was ensured that I could use it on a OW flight, but after checking the website I find that a OW flight must be to/from the USA or something similar. I was hoping to use this voucher on an intra-Europe flight. Is this possible?
Old Jan 5, 15, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Award travel, or paid travel?
Paid travel. Per the AA folks, $1400+ for the change.
Old Jan 5, 15, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NordicMaster
After volunteering to stay behind for 3 hours on a ORD-LAS flight in F (due to overbooking) i was issues 2x$12 in food vouchers (didn't need then as I used the Flagship Lounge) and $300 as a travel voucher. I was ensured that I could use it on a OW flight, but after checking the website I find that a OW flight must be to/from the USA or something similar. I was hoping to use this voucher on an intra-Europe flight. Is this possible?
By "OW" do you mean "one-way" or "oneworld"?
Old Jan 5, 15, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post

By "OW" do you mean "one-way" or "oneworld"?
Sorry for the confusion. Over at "British Airways | Executive Club" on FT (where I spend way to much time) OW is used for oneworld.
Old Jan 5, 15, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Gold: Hilton Gold
EXP here, booked a pair of "Z" award tix on same PNR in FC using miles, but now need to change return date. Can I cancel them and rebook for no/low fee, or am I stuck with paying a hefty change fee? Other advice?
Old Jan 5, 15, 10:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Dan_E View Post
EXP here, booked a pair of "Z" award tix on same PNR in FC using miles, but now need to change return date. Can I cancel them and rebook for no/low fee, or am I stuck with paying a hefty change fee? Other advice?
If you're just changing date (and no changes to carrier, routing, destination/origin, etc.), then it's a fairly free and painfree process.

As long as there is award availability, just call up the EXP desk with the new return date, and they'll get that reticketed for you for no charge.
Old Jan 6, 15, 12:21 am

Good evening all.

I have an award on hold (JL/CX). When I log in to my account on AA.com, and select 'my trips', it does not appear. However, if I search for it using the record locator, it appears just fine. Oddly though, it doesn't give me the option to purchase the held reservation anywhere.

Is this a glitch? Or is it not possible to complete the purchase of a held partner reservation online?

Very annoying, as I've been on hold for 85 minutes already just trying to get someone on the line to help me complete the purchase of the held reservation...

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jan 6, 15, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by dublin487 View Post
Good evening all.

I have an award on hold (JL/CX). When I log in to my account on AA.com, and select 'my trips', it does not appear. However, if I search for it using the record locator, it appears just fine. Oddly though, it doesn't give me the option to purchase the held reservation anywhere.

Is this a glitch? Or is it not possible to complete the purchase of a held partner reservation online?

Very annoying, as I've been on hold for 85 minutes already just trying to get someone on the line to help me complete the purchase of the held reservation...

Thanks for any advice!
It's common for partner flights to not stick in the "My Trips" section on AA.com, but as you discovered, they are there, and you can search them using the PNR.

AAdvantage awards on JL and CX cannot be booked online, so you must call to book. Calling to construct an itinerary and then putting it on hold doesn't change the fact that you still can't book these awards online. These are the partners whose awards can be booked online.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/partner...=partnerawards
Old Jan 6, 15, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
It's common for partner flights to not stick in the "My Trips" section on AA.com, but as you discovered, they are there, and you can search them using the PNR.

AAdvantage awards on JL and CX cannot be booked online, so you must call to book. Calling to construct an itinerary and then putting it on hold doesn't change the fact that you still can't book these awards online. These are the partners whose awards can be booked online.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/partner...=partnerawards
Ah, ok, I was afraid that might be the case - thanks for the reply! Back to the hold queue for me...
Old Jan 6, 15, 11:04 pm

Couple of follow ups, as I try to nail down the homeward routing:

1) I assume minimum connection times are strict and non-negotiable, right? There's a great-looking routing but it misses the minimum connection time at ORD by all of 5 minutes.

2) I'm traveling with my wife and <1 year old son. We're each booked with miles, no lap infant situation. If I can find an HKG-ORD segment with 3x C available, but the ORD-BOS only has 2 F seats, can I book the ORD-BOS segment as 2F, 1Y, then hope to later find a third F seat, and if not, we'll just hold the baby on our lap for the ORD-BOS segment? Or will I run into a problem because the baby has to be seated with an adult and they wouldn't let the other adult, who would be ticketed in Y, 'share' the baby's seat in F?
Old Jan 7, 15, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Couple of follow ups, as I try to nail down the homeward routing:

1) I assume minimum connection times are strict and non-negotiable, right?
Correct

2) I'm traveling with my wife and <1 year old son. We're each booked with miles, no lap infant situation. If I can find an HKG-ORD segment with 3x C available, but the ORD-BOS only has 2 F seats, can I book the ORD-BOS segment as 2F, 1Y, then hope to later find a third F seat, and if not, we'll just hold the baby on our lap for the ORD-BOS segment? Or will I run into a problem because the baby has to be seated with an adult and they wouldn't let the other adult, who would be ticketed in Y, 'share' the baby's seat in F?
That *should* be ok.

If you have to book this way (entirely possible as three "F" award seats on a domestic flight could be difficult to find), ask the agent to note that one of the adult has taken a voluntary downgrade and, if possible, wishes to be placed in their ticketed cabin.
Old Jan 7, 15, 9:24 am

Hi all, thanks for taking the time. My question is in regards to changing a rewards booking, multiple times if need be. For instance, say I book an award ticket for this summer, June to July, JFK to HKG RT (AA/CX award using AA miles). Plans change, and I can no longer make it. As long as I maintain the same origin and destination, can I change the ticket for free (plus or minus any applicable taxes for routing) to another month, and then do that again to postpone it until 2016 when seats open up? Is this a convoluted way to protect me from a mileage devaluation if I am certain I want to take this trip? Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 15, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ccohen322
Hi all, thanks for taking the time. My question is in regards to changing a rewards booking, multiple times if need be. For instance, say I book an award ticket for this summer, June to July, JFK to HKG RT (AA/CX award using AA miles). Plans change, and I can no longer make it. As long as I maintain the same origin and destination, can I change the ticket for free (plus or minus any applicable taxes for routing) to another month, and then do that again to postpone it until 2016 when seats open up? Is this a convoluted way to protect me from a mileage devaluation if I am certain I want to take this trip? Thanks!
Currently, you can change such an award multiple times without incurring any fees from AA. But all travel on an award must be completed within one year of original ticketing date, regardless of the date of the first flight on the award ticket.
Old Jan 7, 15, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria View Post
Correct

That *should* be ok.

If you have to book this way (entirely possible as three "F" award seats on a domestic flight could be difficult to find), ask the agent to note that one of the adult has taken a voluntary downgrade and, if possible, wishes to be placed in their ticketed cabin.
Thanks for the info and the tip - agent I spoke to today indicated that should work just as you described.

Search this Thread