Search

AA Officially Banning "Knee Defender"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2004, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
AA Officially Banning "Knee Defender"

From American's corporate communications this week:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Flight attendants may encounter customers using seat-restricting devices, currently available under such brand names as "Knee Defender" (tm) to limit the ability of the seat in front of them to recline.

AA policy prohibits the use of devices that diminish the design function or capability of any aircraft part or component.

Beginning March 15, the following notice will appear in the "Passenger Information" section of American Way:

"American Airlines does not permit the use of any device that could cause damage to existing equipment, or that may diminish the design, function or capability of any aircraft part or component."

This policy will ensure that every customer has the opportunity to use the aircraft's equipment in the manner for which it was designed. </font>

[This message has been edited by T/BE20/G (edited Feb 23, 2004).]
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
All I have to do is to figure out how to detach my legs when I am flying on 757s and A300s...
Old Feb 24, 2004, 12:16 am

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
what about the ash trays? ever since the FAA banned smoking, the ash trays couldn't be used as they were supposed to.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 1:06 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sowalsky:
what about the ash trays? ever since the FAA banned smoking, the ash trays couldn't be used as they were supposed to.</font>
good point
Old Feb 24, 2004, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sowalsky:
what about the ash trays? ever since the FAA banned smoking, the ash trays couldn't be used as they were supposed to.</font>
There are/were no devices in use that "diminish the design function or capability of" the ashtrays... the tops were still openable until they were replaced by no-smoking placards. Ever notice how much small trash people put in them when they were ashless?
Old Feb 24, 2004, 1:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver
Good. This item could cause a riot in the air. I'm glad AA banned it.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 2:41 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Psychocadet:
Good. This item could cause a riot in the air. I'm glad AA banned it. </font>
I totally concur. 10 hour flight in coach? I'm reclining my seat.

(hang on, when did I last fly coach....?)
Old Feb 24, 2004, 4:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
What about flight attendants that wake you to move your chair up when the passenger behind you is eating?

I find that to be offensive, since I am entitled to use the chair as it was designed. Right?
Old Feb 24, 2004, 5:45 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777Brit:
I totally concur. 10 hour flight in coach? I'm reclining my seat.

</font>
That is a good decision, AA. Thank you!
Old Feb 24, 2004, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Yup. I wasn't looking forward to reaching back and seizing one, but I would've done it.

So, generally people change policy like this in response to an incident. Anyone have a scoop?
Old Feb 24, 2004, 7:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Well, here's an innovative idea, AA. Why not consider... extending the seat pitch on ALL aircraft! You could call it something like "Seat Pitch Incrementation Program", SPIT. (I think that's a great name, since it seems AA mAArketing folks don't know SPIT...) Hmmm, maybe "More Room Throughout Coach", then? Then, take the concept to MARKET - a lot!

(My "knee defender" strategy is to avoid B757 and A300 aircraft, as well as the variety of RJ's, but sometimes it's unavoidable. 10A, F or 9B, C, D, E...)

[This message has been edited by JDiver (edited Feb 24, 2004).]
Old Feb 24, 2004, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
They should rig the seats on the LRTC aircraft so that they DON'T FREAKING RECLINE.

Recline on the MRTC planes sucks as well, but I can live with it.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Another move in the right direction by AA!!!

Good point on the Ash tray though
Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:12 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Recline is fine, but the seat in front always manages to recline further back than mine does. Next time I will ask an AA for dentist tools and check out his gums or some other dental procedure while s/he is in my lap.

Now if they could just prohibit those children who kick the back of your seat constantly.

------------------
Please click daily and help those less fortunate at www.thehungersite.com
Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Not to get technical, and I realize that this post was a least partly tongue in cheek, but a regulation is not a "device." The part about using the aircraft's equipment, etc., was by way of explaining and justifying the policy. It wasn't the policy itself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.