Wiki Posts
Search

What is the American Airlines issued crew carry on

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
What is the American Airlines issued crew carry on

I was recently traveling on AA and noticed what looked to be new issued carry ons. I saw many crew members with this bag walking around DFW. It looked nice and I was trying to get a better look at it. Does anyone know what it is? The handle was black but the corners at the top of the handle were grey.

thanks in advance
Old Dec 29, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TravelPro Crew 10 has black and grey handles as does the Flight Crew 4.

http://www.crewoutfitters.com/t-p-fl...ollaboard.html
Old Dec 29, 2014, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
TravelPro Crew 10 has black and grey handles as does the Flight Crew 4.

http://www.crewoutfitters.com/t-p-fl...ollaboard.html
Thanks Vicki. it was the flight crew 4.

have these been newly issued to AA crew members or did I just observe it for the first time.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 2:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by theshaun

have these been newly issued to AA crew members or did I just observe it for the first time.
Take care though, you will probably find that the quoted 22" length does not match the actual length including wheels/handle etc.

Doesn't matter to the flight crew of course but could prove a problem for you if the GA decides to check ...

Last edited by Mark_T; Dec 30, 2014 at 2:12 pm
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theshaun

Not sure how it works at AA, but my aunt who was PM-Cont now at United just orders them from the employee store. She does not get them free.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Not sure how it works at AA, but my aunt who was PM-Cont now at United just orders them from the employee store. She does not get them free.
I don't know for sure, either, but I would assume it's similar at AA. Before the US Airways company store closed earlier this month, they sold crew baggage.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:24 pm

They may be new, as we need to use up our point allotment by the end of the year, or lose it.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:41 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
You can buy these on line from the dfw employee store at a discounted price.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:40 pm

Location: Right Next to Gate C3 in Terminal C at the DFW Airpor
Programs: American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, United Airlines, Southwest Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines
AA Flight Crew Luggage

You can purchase it at C2 at DFW at the DFW Employee Store or online at www.airlineemployeeshop.com and get free shipping on orders of $150 or more to the continental US.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Take care though, you will probably find that the quoted 22" length does not match the actual length including wheels/handle etc.

Doesn't matter to the flight crew of course but could prove a problem for you if the GA decides to check ...
I have the 22" Flightcrew3 It is a struggle to fit it in the sizers. I can force it in if lightly loaded. I keep a crew tag on mine hoping GA will overlook it. Its within size guidelines for AS, B6 and WN but pushing it for all other carriers
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
The 22" version says it is actually "24 inches" with wheels and handles, so while it may not matter for FAs and other crew, I suspect some passengers may get it denied as a carry-on. The website does have a "20 inch" version which would seem to be OK for most airlines (actually 22 inches). Prices seem so-so; do I assume anybody with money in their hand can purchase, even if not flight crew? What is the morality/legality of having a crew tag if not crew ?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by DFWEmployeeStore
You can purchase it at C2 at DFW at the DFW Employee Store or online at www.airlineemployeeshop.com and get free shipping on orders of $150 or more to the continental US.
I have been to the DFW Employee Store many times and always enjoy myself. The people working there are really nice and helpful.

Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus(ick)
Originally Posted by relangford
The 22" version says it is actually "24 inches" with wheels and handles, so while it may not matter for FAs and other crew, I suspect some passengers may get it denied as a carry-on. The website does have a "20 inch" version which would seem to be OK for most airlines (actually 22 inches). Prices seem so-so; do I assume anybody with money in their hand can purchase, even if not flight crew? What is the morality/legality of having a crew tag if not crew ?
Back in the 'tulip' days I bought a United Tulip tail keychain and put it on my bag. After that....no more baggage issues (not scientific of course!).
Staff always thought I was an employee, but maybe not crew.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
You want the 20" model if you want to consistently fit the 22" limit on sizers. Even then you have to pack without overstuffing if you don't want the bag to be too thick to fit (the rigid wall of the main compartment is about 7" but the various front pockets can easily bulge out more than 2"). These bags are quite heavy, around 8.5 lbs empty, but very tough. Given their weight, they are kind of useless on foreign carriers that enforce 5-7 kg weight limits for carryons (8.5 lbs is almost 4 kg).

These days I mostly use a Muji brand Medium size spinner, which is about 2.3 kg (~5 lbs) but sometimes use the Crew 20" if I need extra capacity or am sure I am going to check something that I want a little more protection with and am flying a US carrier. Though I've checked the Mujis a few times now and they seem to hold up despite being much more lighweight.

My review of the Flightcrew 3 and and post comparing Flightcrew 4 to Crew 8.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-vs-crew8.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ollaboard.html

Stopover Store is another option for purchasing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.