FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Question on J Seats on 777 vs. J on Reconfigued 767. What is the consensus on comfort (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/163976-question-j-seats-777-vs-j-reconfigued-767-what-consensus-comfort.html)

jk5598224 Aug 24, 2003 12:31 pm

Question on J Seats on 777 vs. J on Reconfigued 767. What is the consensus on comfort

After reading numerous posts and i haven't come away with a consensus that the 'new' reconfigured 767 J class is more comfortable than uncomfotable J on the 777 J. I have flown numerous time in J (well actually C) old 767 & 777 down to Latin America. I have some upcoming flights where I may have a choice of either the reconfigured 767 or uncomfortable 777.

BTW any change on the headreast on the new reconfigured 767?

Thanks in advance.

------------------

freeupgrade Aug 24, 2003 4:38 pm

Take the 767 - the food is sooo much better than J on 777. I also did not notice a huge difference in the seat either.

JonNYC Aug 24, 2003 6:01 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by freeupgrade:
...I also did not notice a huge difference in the seat either.</font>
Brave of you to say so-- certain members here go absolutely stark raving ape$h|† when they read that sentance-- I personally feel that whatever the barely noticable increase in recline/pitch is, it may (or may not be) mitigated by the commensurate reduction in seat width on the 767.

inlanikai Aug 24, 2003 7:16 pm

Bottom line, all of the advantages/disadvantages of one vs. the other comes down to a matter of preference and the specifc in-flight experience. All of the differences are "on the margain", IMHO.

If you have a wide girth, you'll appreciate the extra width of the 777 seat. If you are rather tall, the extra legroom (about 2") may mean a lot to you on the 767. If you like peace and quiet and a sense of space, the 777's cabin will suit you. Want some extra room and solitude, go for the middile aisle seat on the 777 and pray for a light flight and no one will sit next to you. Hate the IFE that is canned, fly the 767 and get your own personal video player on Int'l (not Hawaii) flights.

But, in the end, if the food and/or the crew are not good (it happens sometimes) and that is important to you it will not matter what plane you are on.

------------------
What do you want to be, American?

rbAA Aug 24, 2003 9:24 pm

I just returned from a SFO-LGW-SFO MR with J on a 763 DFW-LGW and J on a 777 from LGW-DFW. I can tell you that there is a huge difference, The 777 is far superior: wider seat, roomer cabin, better IFE as you don't need to westle with the DVD player. I can sleep just about anywhere and I had trouble in the 763, no problem on the 777. Also, can usually get the aisle seat on the three middle seats and generally, no one in the center. Not so on the 763 as no First Class and few J seats

JonNYC Aug 24, 2003 9:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rbAA:
I just returned from a SFO-LGW-SFO MR with J on a 763 DFW-LGW and J on a 777 from LGW-DFW. I can tell you that there is a huge difference, The 777 is far superior: wider seat, roomer cabin...</font>
Oh that's not gonna sit well...

chuck1 Aug 24, 2003 10:29 pm

If you are skinny you will like the seat just fine on the 767 plus you will get a nicer inflight service that is comparable to first class on the 777. As previously mentioned, if you are wide, you will find the 767 seat too narrow. I personally feel the 767 business class seat is more narrow than even the MD80 and more like the F100. On seatguru.com, the width of the 767-300 seat is 18.5 in, the F100 18 in, the MD80 19.5 in, and the 777 20 in.

BlatheringPenguin Aug 24, 2003 10:53 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rbAA:
IThe 777 is far superior: wider seat, roomer cabin, better IFE as you don't need to westle with the DVD player. </font>
As alluded to by earlier posters it all depends on what you like. I much prefer the dvd player and pack of discs to the n-channels of unpauseable selection. The only time I haven't found something to happily watch in the dvd pack was the month or two where I was commuting SFO-BOS way too many times in the 762.

rothsteg Aug 25, 2003 10:36 am

To me, the real point is that the AA int'l biz seat is not competitive with BA/CO/DL and, soon, NW to name a few. Particularly as it drops int'l F, that presents a huge competitive proble. I've always flown, for example, AA from JFK to CDG in F, either paid or on upgrades. Now it'll be either CO or DL with their superior biz product, or if I'm in the mood, AF for it's excellent first product.

UAL_Rulez Aug 25, 2003 6:58 pm

If anyone here has flown both the old Trans World One (TWA's equivalent of BusinessFirst) and the new AA 2-class 763 Business service I would be very interested in a comparison of the seat comfort and in-flight services.

dallasflyer Aug 25, 2003 7:04 pm

I am six feet tall and weigh 230 and I am comfortable in the 767 seat, I can turn on my side somewhat and sleep in the seat. The 777 seat is wider but you have 3 across in the middle. 767 has at least as much legroom and 2 across in the middle. So no one is stepping over you if you have a middle aisle seat. Also the service is better on the 767. If I was flying J class I would take the 777 to upgrade into F. If flying Y, then take the 767 to upgrade into J.

------------------
dallasflyer

prudentbear Aug 25, 2003 7:10 pm

I recently flew on reconfigured 763 business class ORD-CDG-ORD. Quite a disppointment. Seats are narrow and althouth the recline is more than 777, the footrest does not elevate high enough to make the seat comfortable.

UAL_Rulez Aug 25, 2003 7:17 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by prudentbear:
I recently flew on reconfigured 763 business class ORD-CDG-ORD. Quite a disppointment. Seats are narrow and althouth the recline is more than 777, the footrest does not elevate high enough to make the seat comfortable.</font>

Sounds exactly like TWOne.

JonNYC Aug 25, 2003 7:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by prudentbear:
I recently flew on reconfigured 763 business class ORD-CDG-ORD. Quite a disppointment. Seats are narrow and althouth the recline is more than 777, the footrest does not elevate high enough to make the seat comfortable.</font>
In fairness, I don't think that's peculiar to 763 J-seat at all, IMHO. Sometimes the footrests just plain don't come up enough-- it can happen on either config in J. The seats get "tired" or whatever. Sometimes it's even necessary to jam something under the footrest to get it to come up even remotely high enough.

bedelman Aug 25, 2003 7:25 pm

I have the same problem on AA's 763s and 777s in J. Recommend placing 1-2 extra pillows (or, in a pinch, your winter jacket, a backpack full of anything not fragile, or whatever else you can find) on top of your legrest. Then prop your feet on that. You may sleep better as a result. I know I do.