Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Question on J Seats on 777 vs. J on Reconfigued 767. What is the consensus on comfort

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question on J Seats on 777 vs. J on Reconfigued 767. What is the consensus on comfort

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2003, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bedelman:
I have the same problem on AA's 763s and 777s in J. Recommend placing 1-2 extra pillows (or, in a pinch, your winter jacket, a backpack full of anything not fragile, or whatever else you can find) on top of your legrest. Then prop your feet on that. You may sleep better as a result. I know I do.</font>
This is the main reason why I always go for bulkheads on 777 or 767 J class flights. Sure, I sacrafice underseat storage and get last dibs on meals half the time, but I can always prop my feet (while wearing shoes ) on the wall or rest them on the little ledge created by the magazine rack. I need my legs horizontal to be comfortable, just like in my recliner at home.
Old Aug 30, 2003, 7:20 pm

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UAL_Rulez:
If anyone here has flown both the old Trans World One (TWA's equivalent of BusinessFirst) and the new AA 2-class 763 Business service I would be very interested in a comparison of the seat comfort and in-flight services.</font>
I would say AA took it's best shot at copying the TW1 services on the International 763 flights.

Some of these will sound familiar to you if you experienced TW1 service:

Beverage service from the kitchen instead of a cart. (Although no pre-ordering of drinks as they used to do in the Ambassador's Club).
Additionally, no individual bottles as with TWA. A big adjustment for 'mixologists.' (Personally, I think it was TWA's liberal beverrage policy which finally did them in.)

Salad from a large bowl individually made at seatside.

IFE via DVD players (vs. the 8MM tapes in TW1). One up for AA. Powerports are also a plus.

Seats that are basically of the same configuration as the TWA767's (Although the recline is slightly less with AA and for me the cushion on the TWA seats were superior. I also feel the leg rests were superior on the TWA equipment (although not on a few of the more recent 763's they took)).

No Down Comforters as with the early TW1 service.

Meals individually plated in the Kitchen and served individually vs. tray service on the 777.

No pre-departure meals as they used to have at JFK in the Constellation Club. But hey...you do get two drink vouchers at the Admirals Club.

A general feeling of importance on the plane (vs. feeling decidedly coach+ in J on a 777).

If you have any specific service questions feel free to fire away.

Old Aug 30, 2003, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold (RIP UA), AA PLT (2MM), MR PLT
Thanks for all they great posts/comments!!

In a nut shell J on AA is crap regardless of a 767 or 777. I was hoping for something better.... Not.

On the reconfigured 767 still have the alwful (sp?) head rests?

Saludos.

------------------
Old Aug 31, 2003, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nyc6035:
I would say AA took it's best shot at copying the TW1 services on the International 763 flights.
&lt;snip snip snip&gt;
</font>
Thanks for the detailed info nyc6035...it confirms what I suspected. Maybe they didn't just "imitate" TW1, as TWA was still operating that service when AA bought them (IOW they have all the "manuals"!) I always liked TW1, though I recall TW being really stingy with international upgrades, even the "SWU-style" ones they used to send you 2 of after you flew any full-Y international trip.

I get the feeling one big reason AA's premium international products are (IMO) weak is that, as with domestic service, they rely heavily on "captive" customers (EXPs, fortress hub O/D traffic and corporate contracts) to buy the seats and don't feel they have to compete for int'l J/F business primarily on quality of seating, catering and IFE (much less on price). Contrast this to the top-ranked long-haul carriers (CX/SQ/NH/BA et al.) who have to win premium customers mainly on quality and value for money.

[This message has been edited by UAL_Rulez (edited 08-31-2003).]
Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:27 am
DKM

Just returned from Paris. On flight 42 ORD-CDG (02/11/04)we were in seats 3H and 3J. Both seats did not recline as much as the others. They reclined about halfway and that was it - and both reclined to the same degree. I asked the FA about it, he asked around, and no one could explain why. I think I've noticed this before in these seats. Our return was in 5H and 5J and the recline was the way it should be. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:12 am

Programs: AA 3MM
Aside from the issue over which aircraft type is best for J, it is still way better than coach, and as it doesn't really cost you any miles to upgrade (at least one way), I will always burn the miles.

Off to UK tomorrow, what with PLT, FLY04, EUR04 etc I end up "miles" ahead on net miles.

My own tips :
- I have a laptop case with a hard shell inside that works really well for propping the legrest higher.
- Snag as many pillows and blankets as possible to wedge behind your neck to reduce the torture caused by the headrest.
- Go online and choose a centre aisle seat at whichever end of the cabin gets last choice of meal service and hope you don't get anyone sitting next to you, then you have the space on the seat next to you.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 6:36 pm

I find the "airbag" lumbar a bit lame in the 777 J - I'd rather have a 2nd pillow instead.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
DKM-- did you happen to notice if 3A&B reclined all the way? We have those seats on an upcoming DFW-CDG trip. I certainly want to move if the entire row had a limited recline.

Old Feb 18, 2004, 7:00 am
DKM

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JIMCHI:
DKM-- did you happen to notice if 3A&B reclined all the way? We have those seats on an upcoming DFW-CDG trip. I certainly want to move if the entire row had a limited recline.

</font>
I'm afraid I didn't notice if 3A&B had the same problem. I personally won't select 3H&J again.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 9:21 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UAL_Rulez:
If anyone here has flown both the old Trans World One (TWA's equivalent of BusinessFirst) and the new AA 2-class 763 Business service I would be very interested in a comparison of the seat comfort and in-flight services.</font>

I used to fly TWA-One LGW-STL on a regular Basis, Miss The Menu with the nice Red Ribbon, but the TWA-One highlight in the early days was always the Afternoon Tea: Whole Fresh Salmon served at your seat.767 Seats very much the same except AA are leather.SomeHow TWA semed closer to First Than AA which is closer to Business. The nearest I can find to TWA-One is BMI to Manchester IMHO the best Transatlantic Business Class service for food with on-board Chef. Virgin though now has the best Business Class seats.

------------------
Bring Back First Class Food on ALL flights over 2.5 hours
Old Feb 18, 2004, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jk5598224:
In a nut shell J on AA is crap regardless of a 767 or 777. I was hoping for something better.... Not.</font>
Nice summary, but J is more like crAAp.

I've switched to BA for transatlantic business trips and are always more and more disappointed with AA's transatlantic service (use for pleasure/family). I can't believe people who are paying the same $$ for that service--what a waste!
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:25 am

In business class is it better to have a window and aisle or the 2 center seats for the two of us?
Old Feb 19, 2004, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Howdy,

I've flown 777 in J ORD-LHR and 767 trans-con and to HNL and OGG a few times.

Hmm - I'm a pretty wide guy; but I'm not real tall (yeah - it's a sad picture )

I like the 777 a bit better due to IFE. However I am also a big fan of all the recline I can get; so the 767 is fine with me (and with the laptop - I can carry plenty of my own IFE).

I'd most likey take the 777 if only to hope for an op-up I've been lucky with those a few times.

Let us know how it works out for you.

Keep the faith,

Pakse
Old Feb 19, 2004, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by trav25:
In business class is it better to have a window and aisle or the 2 center seats for the two of us?</font>
On a 767, the seats are the same - room is the same. Only difference is that both center seats are on the aisle and neither has good window views. Other than that, I'm indifferent. All the J seats beat the hell out of coach.

On a 777, some dislike the center seat in the center section. Me? Sure beats the back of the bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.