Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA MasterCard w/ 10,000 Bonus Miles AND 6 mo. fee waiver (not even targeted!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2003, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Edited to add: (The Gold/AAdvantage card described below carries a lower annual fee than the Platinum Select/AAdvantage card AA is now pushing on their website.)

The Chronology of Fortune:

Past month or so: Lurk on FT, read about the 10,000 bonus miles targeted offer, I hoped I'd also receive such an offer in the mail.

Yesterday: Receive crappy 3,000 bonus mile solicitation in the mail.

Today, call #1: Called 1-800-FLY-4444 (x3), spoke with agent. I said I'd heard some people could get 10,000 miles, and asked if I could too. She instantly said sure, and asked if I wanted to do it then and there. Getting greedy, I said I'd also heard that the fee could be waived in some cases. She said sure, she could set me up with a 6-month waiver too, and asked if I wanted to go ahead. I balked and said I wanted to think about it for a while and call back. She said ok, but warned me that I might have to call back a bunch of times, since the calls get routed to different call centers and not all of them have the ability to give me this offer.

Call #2: Called 1-800-FLY-4444. Agent spent a long time digging up information to try to get the offer code. Then as she tried to apply it, the fact that I'd received the crappy mail offer was getting in the way and she couldn't override that offer code. After 15 minutes of researching, she told me to call 1-800-818-9841, and said they could override the code.

Call #3: Called 1-800-818-9841. They informed me that they could give me the 10,000 bonus miles but not the 6-month fee waiver.

Call #4: Called 1-800-FLY-4444. This time I spoke with someone who said that the best they could do was 5,000 bonus miles, period. They also suggested that I call 1-800-818-9841 if I want 10,000 miles.

Call #5: Called 1-800-FLY-4444. This was my lucky call, as I spoke with a gentleman who was able to quickly give me the deal I wanted -- 10,000 bonus miles and 6 month fee waiver.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for giving me the idea to call them and ask! I hope I can contribute to the community by posting this information :-)

[This message has been edited by CheapTraveller (edited 07-01-2003).]

[This message has been edited by CheapTraveller (edited 07-02-2003).]
Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:23 am

The 10,000 miles, 6-months free deal is advertised on aa.com. You even get a $25 discount certificate on your next flight. The phone number to call is 1-877-248-8863. The link was on my aa.com home page under "AA News and Info".
Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:52 am

Location: SEATTLE, WA, Preferred airlines NW/AS/AA lots of mile but no status on any :(
Just applied on phone took 13 minutes

What if i cancel card after 4-5 months
Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:55 am

Programs: OW Emerald
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hka_mm:
What if i cancel card after 4-5 months </font>
As long as the miles have posted, you keep them and get charged nothing. They just flag that you shouldn't be offered anything else in the future :P
Old Jul 1, 2003, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, 6C AMB, HH Silver
My question pertains to all of the Citibank/AA cards... can you consolidate the miles in one AA account... So... If both my wife and I have cards in our name, can the miles be funnelled to my AA account? Or do they have to go to the name on the card?

Thanks
Old Jul 1, 2003, 11:45 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by model_un:
My question pertains to all of the Citibank/AA cards... can you consolidate the miles in one AA account... So... If both my wife and I have cards in our name, can the miles be funnelled to my AA account? Or do they have to go to the name on the card?
</font>
If the two cards have one account number (i.e. you get one bill between you) then all the miles go to the AAdvantage account of the primary cardholder. If you each have a separate account (i.e. you get two monthly bills, pay two annual fees) then the miles from each card go into the respective cardholder's AAdvantage account.

[This message has been edited by jridge (edited 07-01-2003).]
Old Jul 1, 2003, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, 6C AMB, HH Silver
OK... getting the picture...

Many thanks! Will have to assure that I get the primary designation.

Old Jul 1, 2003, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; Bonvoy Gold; Wynd Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hka_mm:
Just applied on phone took 13 minutes

What if i cancel card after 4-5 months
</font>

10 min 26 seconds here.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 2:38 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">It was on my home page at aa.com under "AA News and Info" </font>
Where is this at? Is it accessible from one of the pull-down menus in the left?
Old Jul 1, 2003, 2:46 pm

Location: SEATTLE, WA, Preferred airlines NW/AS/AA lots of mile but no status on any :(
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jmartin:
Where is this at? Is it accessible from one of the pull-down menus in the left?</font>
nope. On the AA home page look "AA News and info" in to content area (no left nav items) the first link says Get 10,000 Bonus Miles With A Citi / AAdvantage Credit Card. If you still unable to get search for "credit card on the page
Old Jul 1, 2003, 3:05 pm

Thank you!
Old Jul 1, 2003, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

The link's on my aa.com home page now ... i guess its a general rule with airline-related stuff that after you buy, the deal always gets better ... at least my tickets are always booked into L, so the $25 doesn't make me feel too bad ...
Old Jul 2, 2003, 12:11 am
Original Poster

After looking a bit closer, I noticed that they're actually not the same product:

What I originally applied for: Citi Gold/AAdvantage World MasterCard ($50 annual fee, 1 mi/$).

What they're pushing now: Citi Platinum Select/AAdvantage World MasterCard ($85 annual fee, also $1 mi/$)

Traditionally the Platinum Select comes with more bonus miles, but now we know we can get the same 10,000 bonus miles on the one with the lower annual fee, should we choose to keep them beyond 6 months.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 2:05 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CheapTraveller:
After looking a bit closer, I noticed that they're actually not the same product:

What I originally applied for: Citi Gold/AAdvantage World MasterCard ($50 annual fee, 1 mi/$).

What they're pushing now: Citi Platinum Select/AAdvantage World MasterCard ($85 annual fee, also $1 mi/$)

Traditionally the Platinum Select comes with more bonus miles, but now we know we can get the same 10,000 bonus miles on the one with the lower annual fee, should we choose to keep them beyond 6 months.
</font>
If you do want to keep a card, it should also be possible to apply for the Platinum Select then "downgrade" it before the 6 months is up. Citi can't stop you from cancelling, and faced with the choice of downgrading you to Gold or losing you altogether, it's an easy decision for them.
Old Jul 4, 2003, 10:33 pm

Thank you all for your inputs. It was so easy to sign up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.