Help! Timing of my AA PLT Challenge

Old Jan 27, 04, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier, Hyatt GP Diamond
Help! Timing of my AA PLT Challenge

Hello everyone,

May be someone can help me with this one.

I am interested in doing the AA PLT Challenge very soon because I have 2 trips coming up: IAD-ORD-IAD (on AA in Feb) and DCA-JFK-HKG-HAN-HKG-LAX-IAD (on AA, CX in Mar). From the (excellent) website FewMiles' Unofficial Guide to AA Advantage, I understand that if I complete the challenge in Mar, my PLT membership will expire in Feb. 05.

The problem I have is that I do not fly that often, but would like to take "advantage" of being an "elitist" with its perks. I plan to fly to Hanoi, Vietnam each March, but also be considered PLT during these trips. So... should I even attempt the PLT challenge, or will it be irrevelent for my Hanoi trips each March?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 27, 04, 4:57 pm

You can find help with your AA questions in the AA forum.
Old Jan 27, 04, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Welcome to Flyertalk, CX747-467! Nice to see a fellow Alexandrian - I'm sitting at home in Old Town as we speak.

I think you'll get a better answer to your question in the American Airlines forum so I'll try to help you out by moving this thread there. Please continue to follow in the American forum.

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
MilesBuzz and Delta moderator
Old Jan 30, 04, 8:08 pm

I was just told that I need to register by 16th of any month if I want Plat challenge to start after that date.
I would like to know if this is true.
I thought that you had to register after 16th of june for plat for `18 mths but any time before that and you got plat till feb the following year.
I had not read that the challenge must be registered by 16th of any month.
I am now confused

[This message has been edited by tinkybelle (edited Jan 30, 2004).]
Old Jan 31, 04, 6:48 am

Programs: AA PLT & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Howdy,

Challenges must be started on the 1st or 16th of the month. Also note that only flown miles count for QPoints. 5k QPoints within the 90 day window will earn you Gold status and 10k QPoints within the 90 day window will earn you Platinum status.

Note: In the past it has been the experience of some people that you can call after the 1st or 16th of a given month and request the challenge date start on that prior date. (For example, it's the 2nd of FEB, and you suddenly realize you are going to fly 10kQPoints on the 3rd, 4th and 5th of FEB. Some folks have called up and gotten enrolled in a challege starting FEB 1. Warning: Your milage may vary. Some folks have been denied this 'back dating'.)

1. If you start a PLT (or GLD) challenge on or before June 16th of year N you are PLT (or GLD) for year N, expiring in February of year N+1.

2. If you start a PLT (or GLD) challenge on or before July 1 you are PLT (or GLD) for year N, N+1 expiring in February of year N+2.

3. If you qualify for PLT (or GLD) via the challenge before June 30th of year N and you also reach 50kQMiles (or for GLD 25kQMiles) or 50kQPoints (or for GLD 25kQPoints) prior to 31 December of year N, you are are PLT (or GLD) for year N, N+1 expiring in February of year N+2.

4. Immediatly after you reach 10kQPoints you can call Customer Service and request that as you have fullfilled the challenge to have your status changed (otherwise - it can take anywhere from a day or two up to weeks).

* Note: Your highest level of status dominates; regardless of method earned.

To wit: If during a PLT challenge, you qualify for GLD on Points or Miles - you will be GLD for the rest of the challenge period, and if you fail to complete your challenge you will still have GLD status. If you should complete your PLT challenge your PLT status trumps your GLD status.

i.e. In my own case a few years back, I enrolled in a PLT challenge, earned GLD via QPoints during the challenge; and later on during the year I qualified for EXP. I ended up with EXP status for the remainder of the year and the following status year.

Following 4 - you are PLT and have all benefits of being PLT.

Therefore - depending upon the exact points you accure - i.e. If during the trip to Hanoi you qualify you may get plat status and therefore milage benefit from some segments (such as the return). However, if you don't make the points - then it won't help and you'll not have status the following year.

I would recommend you complete the challenge because generally AA will only drop you from PLT to GLD. This is an unpublished benefit and may disappear at any time. However - if you make PLT this year on your March trips; that might get you GLD status next year for your following trips. There is no guarantee of this; and you can expect it - but there is no harm trying for it.

Good luck to you and let us know how it turns out.

Keep the faith,

Pakse

p.s. Edited to correct the mistake pointed out by pb9997. Thanks.

p.p.s. Edited to correct the mistake pointed out by hockeydiva. Also added a few other minor points. Thanks

[This message has been edited by Pakse (edited Feb 02, 2004).]
Old Jan 31, 04, 10:33 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pakse:
(...)4. Immediatly after you reach 20kQPoints (...)</font>
After such a compreheensive answer I'm sure Pakse meant 10kQpoints, sometimes achieved through flying 20kQcheapo miles...
Old Feb 2, 04, 12:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum, SW A List
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pakse:
Howdy,

1. If you qualify for PLT via the challenge before June 30th of year N you are PLT for year N, expiring in February of year N+1.

2. If you qualify for PLT via the challenge after June30th of year N you are PLT for year N, N+1 expiring in February of year N+2.

[This message has been edited by Pakse (edited Jan 31, 2004).]
</font>
Another correction--it's the START date of the challenge that determines the membership length.

If you START the challenge on or before June 16 of year N and you complete the challenge, your status runs through Feb. of N + 1.

If you START the challenge on or after July 1 of year N and you complete the challenge, your status runs through Feb. of N + 2.

I learned this the hard way when I completed a challenge in early July one year--a challenge I had started on April 16. My status was only good through Feb. of the following year.

[edited to make start dates more clear]

[This message has been edited by hockeydiva (edited Feb 02, 2004).]
Old Feb 2, 04, 2:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tinkybelle:
I was just told that I need to register by 16th of any month if I want Plat challenge to start after that date.
I would like to know if this is true.
I thought that you had to register after 16th of june for plat for `18 mths but any time before that and you got plat till feb the following year.
I had not read that the challenge must be registered by 16th of any month.
I am now confused
.]
</font>
That was not my question,.

I was unaware that one MUST register before the 1st or 16th of any month if one wishes to parttake in a challenge.
Is everyone aware of this?

[This message has been edited by tinkybelle (edited Feb 02, 2004).]
Old Feb 2, 04, 4:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tinkybelle:

I was unaware that one MUST register before the 1st or 16th of any month if one wishes to parttake in a challenge.

</font>
As to the original poster -CX, I love your handle and hope that everything has been taken care of.

As for the challenge, yes, everyone should know they must register as when you call the AAdv. desk they will explain everything to you. I find the AAdv. folk some of the nicest of any airline FF desk staff.

Pick your 3 months that you know you can successfully complete the challenge, then go for it. Once you start the challenge you are stuck till the end of the period.

It should also be seen as something special to be given a challenge, as some are actually turned away, which is not good business sense.

------------------
YAS+
Old Feb 2, 04, 11:17 am

</font>
Challenges can start on the 1st or the 16th of any month, and the date you pick determines when your 90-day window starts. You can call after that date has passed, but AA won't count any flights before the date you registered.

So, for example, if you suddenly found out you were going to make a trip in the next few days, and you wanted to start a challenge, you could call and have the challenge start as of the most recent 1st/16th date that had passed. [Hope that is clear!]

You can call at any time, but the challenge windows all start on the 1st or 16th.

Old Feb 2, 04, 11:31 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hockeydiva:
If you START the challenge on or before June 16 of year N and you complete the challenge, your status runs through Feb. of N + 1.

If you START the challenge on or after July 1 of year N and you complete the challenge, your status runs through Feb. of N + 2.

</font>
I notice now that the fewmiles website:

http://members.shaw.ca/fewmiles/AA/index2.html

states that challenges started on June 16 will also earn elite status for N + 2 years. I thought I had heard/read that July 1st was the earliest date for N + 2, but fewmiles information is the most comprehensive I've seen. [Except that the q-points information has not yet been updated.]

I guess if I were starting a challenge on June 16th, I'd email AA to get the information in writing.

Old Feb 2, 04, 2:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, HGVC, AA, UA
I have been told miles earned through the AA/Citi CC also count towards the challenge, however I haven't been able to confirm or deny this. Anybody know for sure?
Old Feb 2, 04, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Road King:
I have been told miles earned through the AA/Citi CC also count towards the challenge, however I haven't been able to confirm or deny this. Anybody know for sure?</font>

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've been told wrong. Only butt-in-the-seat miles count for challenges and regular qualifications.
Old Feb 2, 04, 3:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, HGVC, AA, UA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andrzej:

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've been told wrong. Only butt-in-the-seat miles count for challenges and regular qualifications.
</font>
Thanks for the info. It only makes sense or everyone could just "buy" their way in.
Old Feb 2, 04, 3:38 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hockeydiva:
Challenges can start on the 1st or the 16th of any month, and the date you pick determines when your 90-day window starts. You can call after that date has passed, but AA won't count any flights before the date you registered.

So, for example, if you suddenly found out you were going to make a trip in the next few days, and you wanted to start a challenge, you could call and have the challenge start as of the most recent 1st/16th date that had passed. [Hope that is clear!]

You can call at any time, but the challenge windows all start on the 1st or 16th.

</font>

Quote from reply for request to challenge on 20th jan.
Please understand that our challenges are programmed to start on the 1st and 16th of each month without exception.Since the start date of the 16th january chalenbge has already started we are unable to backdate the challenge you requested.
I have enrolled you in the next challenge.

As I said you MUST call before the 1st or 16th-so if you have an urgent flight before the 1st you cannot count those flights.
Either this info is wrong or everyone must know that they must plan to call before the 1st or 16th.

Search this Thread