MD 80 with/without powerports?

Old Jan 27, 04, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm, Fairmont Plt. Starwood Plt
MD 80 with/without powerports?

How can I tell if the MD80 that I am flying on has powerports and which of these has the increased legroom in F in the left side? I have flown both.
Old Jan 27, 04, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
I cannot answer your question but beware of power ports that are not yet connected.
Old Jan 27, 04, 1:56 pm

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
Go to AA.com, I believe it's listed under "travel information" - "our planes" on the menu on the left hand side
Old Jan 27, 04, 2:03 pm

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SeAAttle:
I cannot answer your question but beware of power ports that are not yet connected.</font>
FYI - On a recent flight from PBI, the power port "on" light was unlit, I asked the FA if he could turn it on, he flipped a switch somewhere and power was on.

(Edited to fix slepping )

[This message has been edited by Vaze (edited Jan 27, 2004).]
Old Jan 27, 04, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SeAAttle:
I cannot answer your question but beware of power ports that are not yet connected.</font>
Also beware of TWA planes masquerading as AA planes. Old TWA planes do not have power ports.

I haven't found a way to determine ahead of time whether my flight will be AA metal or TWA metal pressed into AA service. I'd love to hear if there are any indicators.
Old Jan 27, 04, 3:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spyder:
Also beware of TWA planes masquerading as AA planes. Old TWA planes do not have power ports. I haven't found a way to determine ahead of time whether my flight will be AA metal or TWA metal pressed into AA service. I'd love to hear if there are any indicators. </font>
The AA PC edition timetable indicates whether the aircraft is an MD-80 (AA metal) or an MD-83 (TWA metal); however, since equipment changes can take place with little or no warning (as I have found out numerous times at the last minute), there's no guarantee that the MD-80/83 series aircraft scheduled to fly your route actually will.

Confused? Yeah, me too, as I also play the guessing game every time I get on one of these flights...thus, an extra battery probably isn't a bad idea. Oh, how I long for standardization across the fleet...
Old Jan 27, 04, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Thanks for the tip fredmartens!
Old Jan 27, 04, 3:20 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fredmartens:
The AA PC edition timetable indicates whether the aircraft is an MD-80 (AA metal) or an MD-83 (TWA metal)</font>
It's not quite that simple... TWA had MD-81 and MD-82 aircraft as well as the MD-83s.

Just because a plane is listed as an MD-80, doesn't mean it will be an AA aircraft/have powerports.

Greg

Old Jan 27, 04, 3:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spyder:
I haven't found a way to determine ahead of time whether my flight will be AA metal or TWA metal pressed into AA service. I'd love to hear if there are any indicators. </font>
check the seat map for your flight.

twa planes will have 30ab and the coat closet is in front of first class.
aa planes will not have 30ab and the coat closet is behind 5ab, between first & coach.

Old Jan 27, 04, 3:48 pm

Greg, I'm sure you're correct, but from my experiences, the timetable does not discern between MD80, -81, -82 and -83 aircraft. It simply lists them as being either M80 or M83. The M83 listed are ex-TWA, the M80 are AA metal (wouldn't it be nice if we still had the 2800-3199 flight codes to use as determining factors...).

I have yet to board a DC-9-80 series AA plane and not have power ports installed (in the last 2 years, anyhow); whether they're working or not is another story. I wish the seat maps were a great prediction device for determining whether or not you'll be "power port positive", but I find them as reliable as the PC timetable; that is, the equipment changes (especially through DFW or ORD) often enough at the last minute to throw a monkey wrench into the best of plans. YMMV.
Old Jan 28, 04, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fredmartens:
Greg, I'm sure you're correct, but from my experiences, the timetable does not discern between MD80, -81, -82 and -83 aircraft. It simply lists them as being either M80 or M83. The M83 listed are ex-TWA, the M80 are AA metal (wouldn't it be nice if we still had the 2800-3199 flight codes to use as determining factors...).
</font>
I've been confused about this as well. The seatmaps on AA.com. www.aa.com/content/aboutAA/ourPlanes/boeingMD80.jhtml show 4 variants (two MD80s and two MD83s), and also mention the 2800-2999 flight numbers as determining factors. Looks like the only real time you know what plane you'll be on is at boarding.

[This message has been edited by mangoMan (edited Jan 28, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by mangoMan (edited Jan 28, 2004).]
Old Jan 28, 04, 6:33 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Greg, I'm sure you're correct, but from my experiences, the timetable does not discern between MD80, -81, -82 and -83 aircraft.
</font>
You are correct in saying it doesn't differentiate between MD-81 and MD-82, they both appear as M80, regardless of if it was an ex-TW or native AA aircraft.

I can tell you this for certain because there are/were 28XX and 29XX (TWA LLC) flight numbers shown as M80 or M83, depending on which subfleet was flying the route. (MD-83s have a longer range, so they were usually on west coast flights)

As a result, I would not guarantee that an M80 designation is an AA aircraft, although the odds are quite high that it is. TWA had 103 MD-8x aircraft of which at least 60 were MD-83. That means there are, at most, 40 ex-TW M80s compared to AA's 260+.

Greg
Old Jan 28, 04, 7:29 pm

AA also had MD83 aircraft before absorbing TW. There is no real way to determine if you will be on a former TW aircraft from the timetable. The seatmap will be a good way to tell what is scheduled for the flight, but equipment swaps are common. As noted, any flight number between 2800 and 3199 (inclusive) is a TW operated flight and will be a TW aircraft.
Old Jan 28, 04, 8:27 pm

All excellent information, learned a few things here I didn't know about the AA MD-80/81/82/83 inventory...didn't know AA bought any MD-83's. At any rate, I think we're all in a bit of a quandry trying to figure out ahead of time whether or not we can discern which aircraft have PP's.

Any AA people out there? Anyone know anything new about the scheduled "retrofit" that was supposed to be completed 12/03, then canceleed, then OK'd again, now in a state of ???
Old Jan 31, 04, 1:23 pm
mikejos

I have been on MD80(81/82/83) aircraft 11 times in the last two months and have found the following method to be reliable 10 out of 11 times:

1. Flight number 2800-2999 are TWA planes and DO NOT have power ports. Some of the first class seats look like they have power ports but that's because all of the newer F seats are designed alike. So if a new F seat is in a TWA plane, the power port will be there but will not work.

2. If you look at the seat map and see the coat closet at the back of 1st class, three rows of seats on the left side of 1st class and no 30AB seats, you WILL HAVE power ports.

3. If any of the qualifications is not true in step 2, you WILL NOT have power ports.

4. Steps 1-3 are subject to last minute aircraft changes.

Mike

Search this Thread