FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Platinum Challenge -- 189 q-points short (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/163389-platinum-challenge-189-q-points-short.html)

777 Jan 27, 2004 9:01 pm

Platinum Challenge -- 189 q-points short

Hello AA people,

Ex-CO Gold Elite here who has finally decided enough is enough with Continental.

Decided to go elite with AA this year and enrolled in the Platinum Challenge. Booked four SAN/SNA/LGB-JFK transcons to take "AAdvantage" of the AANYC promo. At the end of these flights, I'll have 19,622 miles and 9,811 q-points, which is a hair shy of the 10,000 q-point requirement for Platinum.

I probably should have done at least one of the transcons with a connection in SFO, but I thought it wouldn't qualify for the AANYC promo when I booked the flights originally - too late now to make any changes.

I would like to get the 189 q-points by the challenge deadline of April 15th. My backup is to do another LGB-JFK on a Saturday for $175, but would like to find something even cheaper, if possible. Decided against doing two more transcons to BOS since I will not be able to use a third free ticket by its expiration.

Based in SAN/SNA/LGB or could even do LAX. Any suggestions for getting the remaining q-points I need in the cheapest way possible would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

andrzej Jan 27, 2004 9:05 pm

All considered the $175 is a good deal. You will get a nice bonus on miles as well. Remember, 100% Plat bonus will kick-in. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

I believe there is a 2 free ticket limit, so don't do any more of these runs for that reason.

wanaflyforless Jan 27, 2004 10:09 pm

My understanding was that the AABOS and AANYC promos are separate promos - and each of them allows one to earn two tickets - so if I qualify for both, I should recieve 4 tickets. Is this incorect?

ernie8575 Jan 27, 2004 10:11 pm

Look at flying LAX to SJC or LAS to get the needed q-points at cheaper rate. We flew LAX to LAS and got 500 q-points.

mangoMan Jan 28, 2004 2:17 pm

Try SNA-OAK on AS (Alaska). You will earn 500 q-pts each way, and they were recently advertising this for $29 each way.

maximizer Jan 28, 2004 2:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777:
Decided against doing two more transcons to BOS since I will not be able to use a third free ticket by its expiration.
</font>
The free tickets are transferable, and make excellent gifts http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

AAlton Jan 28, 2004 2:47 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 777:
I probably should have done at least one of the transcons with a connection in SFO, but I thought it wouldn't qualify for the AANYC promo when I booked the flights originally - too late now to make any changes.</font>
Don't kick yourself hard on this. It might not have worked out the way you hoped with an SFO connection. Chances are, the valid routings are non-stop only! If not, remember you can stand-by for an earlier flight or routing as long as it is valid under the fare rules! I suggest trying to stand-by for an earlier connection through SFO if the fare allows for it. There will be your 189 miles.

[This message has been edited by AAlton (edited Jan 28, 2004).]

LLZ Jan 28, 2004 4:00 pm

Another option, which would not require flying anymore than already planned, is to reticket one of your trips already purchased into a higher fare code (H,K,M,Q,W,V) that will earn 1 q-point/mile instead of the 1/2 it appears you will be earning.

AA will charge you $25 to re-ticket and then the fare difference. Many times it's not very much and it will double your q-pts which will put you well over the 10k.

This would save you time from doing another run if that's appealing to you.

twofly19 Oct 4, 2004 9:14 am

Short only 114 Q Points

In a similar position as OP, I'm 114 Q-points short of completing Plat Challenge and will successfully complete with upcoming transcon travel.

Using miles to upgrade outbound on this next trip and then looking for Plat to kick in 72 hour Electronic Upgrade advantage on returning red-eye but am concerned AA will not process my status upgrade in time for the quick trip turnaround (4 days).

Any chance on getting AA to say 114 points is close enough, you have completed the challenge.... or I am just dreaming (or being greedy)

Thanks, TW

JDiver Oct 4, 2004 9:24 am

IMO, dreaming ;) - the system sometimes isn't that fast (batch processing,) and they will undoubtedly say "No, it must be 10k points."

But you also could do a minimum 500 point cheapest run on AA or AS before your transcon, or call and talk to a real person who can access your PNR and account info to put you on the upgrade list.

Originally Posted by twofly19
In a similar position as OP, I'm 114 Q-points short of completing Plat Challenge and will successfully complete with upcoming transcon travel.

Using miles to upgrade outbound on this next trip and then looking for Plat to kick in 72 hour Electronic Upgrade advantage on returning red-eye but am concerned AA will not process my status upgrade in time for the quick trip turnaround (4 days).

Any chance on getting AA to say 114 points is close enough, you have completed the challenge.... or I am just dreaming (or being greedy)

Thanks, TW

rpmkwpw Oct 4, 2004 10:09 am

Being greedy

Originally Posted by twofly19

Thanks, TW

It's a challenge... That means, they've lowered the bar to help you get to plat in hopes you'll fly more. if you can't do that, why on earth should they accommodate you?

sorry to sound jerky but come on. it's 114 points. fly it or lose it

twofly19 Oct 4, 2004 10:43 am

Mea Culpa, but if it's OK to sound jerky, I suppose it's OK to Sound greedy! Glad to be in good company.

As for the challenge, I am flying it, they already have my cash for the tix. I will not lose it and will wait patiently for AA to process the miles and recognize that I have met their terms. Never again shall I ask for silly considerations from AA. I am pleased and grateful that they even have such a program. It is a privilege to acheive Plat status without having to actually fly the 50K (or Points). Thanks AA

JDiver Oct 4, 2004 10:53 am

Mea culpa, er, twofly19, ;), I'd fly it and talk to a CSR at the far end - explain, try to get on the upgrade list (it might help if you are on the list already, and have the upgrades bought / miles in your account,) and try again if it doesn't work the first time. (Depending on how close you are to post time, a lot of batch posing occurs, if memory serves, Tuesday and Saturday nights.)

In any case, you will earn the Platinum 2x bonus miles on your return flight, as well as on the flight you cross the threshhold on - that should help ease the pain :). Enjoy!

And stick around - though a disclaimer should be made that you might become addicted and decide Platinum isn't enough, plot MRs and all manner of strangeness you read on this forum and others. :D

fly co to see the yanks Oct 4, 2004 11:09 am

Originally Posted by 777
Any suggestions for getting the remaining q-points I need in the cheapest way possible would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

well, how did it turn out? i'm on pins AAnd needles. ;) :)

chicaloca453 Oct 4, 2004 11:09 am

Originally Posted by mangoMan
Try SNA-OAK on AS (Alaska). You will earn 500 q-pts each way, and they were recently advertising this for $29 each way.

That's no good. Platinum challenges have to be done on AA metal.

My advice is to try a weekend fare. You can get some good LAX-SBA fares for $90 RT, and you'll get at least 500 q points each way.

There are also good fares from LAX-LAS if you plan ahead. Just find a Southwest market in the western US (OAK, LAS, PHX, etc) and go for it. AA usually matches Southwest's advance purchase rates.