Why the Hostility???

Old Jan 23, 04, 4:30 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Why the Hostility???

I have noticed lately that some members are quick to jump down the throat of new FTers, simply because they pose a question that can be interpreted as "taking advantage" of AA.

The guy that was nice to a GA and got upgrades for being NICE, and he gave her SOS's, as well as the guy that had his MR rerouted and didn't know that Cust Service would give him Original Routing credit.

We are ALL on here to share ways of utilizing the system. Let's not make someone feel like a criminal for asking a question.

Hope MOST of you agree with me.
Old Jan 23, 04, 6:07 pm

I have also noticed a growing trend towards general impatience and outright rudeness by some posters on FT, some of which are new, some of which are "old school" and act as if this is a private country club for their little cliques. I'm not talking about some of the humorous sarcasm (which I happen to love...but I'm a bit twisted, so...), I mean the direct, personal blasts that serve absolutely no other purpose than to bully and belittle.

Some longer term members have either left FT completely or severely curbed their once highly contributory and often amusing posts due to this problem, and they've let it be known that the personal attacks and rumour mongering are why they left. This really bothers me, as I hope it does others. I would hope that a post such as this can call attention to the fact that this "rude and curtness" problem not only exists, but, IMHO as well, is on the rise. There has to be a more constructive way to voice an opinion that is contrary without blasting that other person outright.

I'm sure we've all noticed that FT membership is growing rapidly and attracting a lot of new folks; many of these, if "cultivated" and helped by some of the more experienced posters here, will grow to become contributors that just may help out some of the "old timers" someday. A gentle urging to do searches and the providing of links to helpful "primers" instead of blasting new people for asking repetitive questions will not only assist the "newbies", but encourage them to continue to do their own homework en route to becoming "veterans". After all, we all had our first posts, and many of us got our elite status partially or directly as a result of the assistance from FT'ers. I know I did.

Hey, I like this place, and I know I've taken a few shots at trolls that were less than kind, so I'm not going to pretend to sit here on the perfect perch with an angelic veil. I'm just agreeing that it's maybe time to recognize this and curb it before things get any worse. Take it FWIW, one opinion.
Old Jan 23, 04, 7:08 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I agree. Since I contributed to the thread about the rerouted MR guy, and stated an opinion that the original poster may not like, let me expand on this. I've been around here awhile, and like fredmartens, have noticed exactly what he's talking about.

One thing that I'd like to point out is that sometimes I think that some types of posts (perhaps including some that I may make) are misinterpreted by some readers. Specifically, sometimes a post that agrees with the carrier and disagrees with a passenger is interpreted as generally "negative" or perhaps an attack, when in fact it is merely stating an opinion on the business matter at hand. Some people are of the mind that the passenger is always right, or at least mostly right, and view people with a different opinion as cold and heartless. So be it.

Personally, I certainly hope that few of my posts end up being truely negative, and I have to say that there are fewer than 5 of my 2000+ posts that I regret making.

I too have greatly reduced my time spent on FlyerTalk, and have moved on to greener pastures. I still enjoy the time I spend here, but find that it is increasinly non-productive.

In an odd way, I think that some people might do what appears to be "pouncing" on new members precisely to help maintain the decorum on FlyerTalk. Some people view online communities such as FlyerTalk as their opportunity to "punish" a company for all the ways they've been wronged over the years, or even from a single situation, and are willing to spend nearly unbounded amounts of energy to this end no matter how much damage is done to the community. I think that these situations need to be nipped in the bud.

We recently went through a problem that had been brewing for years in the CO forum, and it only got contained by direct intervention from Randy. Unfortunately, we lost some longstanding members who chose to leave us rather than accept that they might possibly have been wrong (However much I may disagree with them, I wish they were still here, and had chosen to rejoin the set of members that contribute as well as state their opinions).

May we all hope that everyone will try to contribute as much as possible, not attack others, and nurture FlyerTalk with a sense of community.
Old Jan 23, 04, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alhcfp:
I have noticed lately that some members are quick to jump down the throat of new FTers, simply because they pose a question that can be interpreted as "taking advantage" of AA.

The guy that was nice to a GA and got upgrades for being NICE, and he gave her SOS's, as well as the guy that had his MR rerouted and didn't know that Cust Service would give him Original Routing credit.

We are ALL on here to share ways of utilizing the system. Let's not make someone feel like a criminal for asking a question.

Hope MOST of you agree with me.
</font>
TALKING ABOUT SOSs in 2004?

You should be put to death.
Old Jan 23, 04, 7:33 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Thumper:
TALKING ABOUT SOSs in 2004?

You should be put to death.
</font>
Thats the spirit!!!!

We hate everyone!!
Old Jan 23, 04, 11:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alhcfp:
the guy that had his MR rerouted and didn't know that Cust Service would give him Original Routing credit.</font>
I'd really encourage you to read over the evolution of this tread. In this specific event, the original poster didn't complain about mileage credit and the concern wasn't cured with the suggestion of asking customer service for original routing credit either. The poster accused the airline of failing to deliver on the purchased ticket without ever taking the time to understand the terms. When other members explained that American Airlines actually did fulfill it's obligation, the original poster refused to hear it and became increasingly petulant. After the number of explanations, the original poster earned it.
Old Jan 24, 04, 6:04 am

Amen! Some responders are rude. Makes me wonder if they operate the same way in life. When I was new here 2 years back, I posted a general comment about my disappointment with deterioration in service post-911. Well, couple of people really blasted me, and it was intimidating. But several posters stuck up for my post, stating I had stated a very valid point.
Reminds us all: LIFE IS SO SHORT! WE'RE ALL ON THIS "VOYAGE" TOGETHER, SO LET'S MAKE IT AS PLEASANT AS POSSIBLE WITH A BIT OF KINDNESS & COURTESY.
P.S. - Most here are wonderful, helpful, kind.

Old Jan 26, 04, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
We are ALL on here to share ways of utilizing the system. Let's not make someone feel like a criminal for asking a question.</font>
Agree with you 100%. I lurked on FT for a good six months before I first posted, due to the intimidation factor (all these top level frequent flyers, and even though I was one myself just didn't know if I'd be welcome).

I try to make everyone feel welcome here on FT, even though they may ask a question that's been asked a hundred times before. We were all new here on FT at one point.

I would ask everyone to join me in making a commitment to make FT, and particularly the AA board, a place for new members to feel welcome, and their input valuable. Let's not run the newbies off.

Old Jan 26, 04, 4:38 pm
Suspended

on flyertalk, hostility is just plain ol' sport. for some twisted reason, flyertalkers get off on it. i don't know why.

it used to be worse on some boards more than others (continental used to be bad). but, maybe as people drifted from continental (tough to get standard awards, delta-like changes to its frequent flyer program, etc.) to forums such as AAmericAAn, these forums also became hostile and bitter.

just a thought....

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited Jan 26, 2004).]
Old Jan 26, 04, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...and then there are those who aren't new, should know better by now (after 1000's of posts) and yet seemingly go out of their way to engender the hostility above-referenced.

And then whine about it.

[This message has been edited by JonNYC (edited Jan 26, 2004).]
Old Jan 26, 04, 5:02 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JonNYC:
...and then there are those who aren't new, should know better by now (after 1000's of posts) and yet seemingly go out of their way to engender the hostility above-referenced.

And then whine about it.
</font>
I resemble that remark!

Seriously - it's amazing to me that there's hostility. It took me a good 6 months before thinking about asking questions that I legitimately didn't know and was greeted with "You should have searched for this" and other remarks.

I guess it breaks down into two camps: Those of us who like AA so much that we'd like to share our enthusiasm and knowledge with others and there are those who like AA so much that they want to keep a good thing to themselves.

Old Jan 26, 04, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I get e-mails from new folk all the time-- several times a month usually-- and I am always extremely welcoming, friendly and helpful in those exchanges and I'm sure that's true for many others here. I've even solicited such questions by e-mail on other boards (trying to get people to switch to AA) and I find it very satisfying to help in that way-- as well as answering questions here when I happen to know the answer-- no matter how many times it's been asked before.
Old Jan 26, 04, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JonNYC:
I get e-mails from new folk all the time-- several times a month usually-- and I am always extremely welcoming, friendly and helpful in those exchanges and I'm sure that's true for many others here.</font>
And that's the way it should be, right? I get the occasional e-mails, too, asking for help, and I'm always glad to respond, as there were times I needed help, too. I'm glad there are people on the AA board that regularly offer advice, help and encouragement, both to those of us that have been here a while (I seem to learn something new every week), and the newcomers. It's a better board for that, and something we can take pride in.

Old Jan 26, 04, 8:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Gold
I just assumed it was the disgruntled, ex-DL flyers who have moved on to other forums!! Seriously, there seems to be a lot of angst among the more vocal Flyertalkers. Perhaps Flyertalk is really some barometer of business traveler stress...As someone who lurks for deals and makes a few contributions here and there, there is a clique-ish atmosphere... but not radically different from other (focussed) message boards.
Old Jan 27, 04, 3:21 am

There are only two types of posts that encounter knee-jerk hostility on a regular basis:

1. Those that criticize AA in any way

2. Those that ask questions that could be easily searched for.

AA board is a bit more extreme than other boards for (1) above and there is not much you can do about it other than ask posters to sit on their hands and avoid knee-jerking and to ask posters to phrase the post in such a way that it doesn't look like they are criticizing AA. But that is difficult for newbies to understand.

For (2), the old-timers who get bored with such questions could look at the post count and give a break to people who have a low count rather than be nasty about it.

Search this Thread