Transcon MR ex-NYC puzzle (min. 2500 miles with max. 5 stickers)

Old Jan 25, 04, 11:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/3MM
Transcon MR ex-NYC puzzle (min. 2500 miles with max. 5 stickers)

Since I have a free week, I'm thinking about doing 2 transcon RTs (same-day turnarounds but not necessarily nonstops) for 10K miles by January 31. SEA, SJC, LGB, SNA and SAN are all pricing out at about $220. However, all my routings either fall a few miles short of 2500, or require 6 stickers to upgrade. Using the 51-mile grace provision, can anyone come up with an ingenious 5-sticker routing that will yield a minimum of 2500 miles? It will save me having to purchase 4 extra stickers!

------------------
Vasant
Old Jan 25, 04, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Why buy stickers? You can add a Y leg for $299 which would be the cost of 6 stickers, then you wouldn't have to worry about buying them. Even before the 2 NYC or BOS promo, I've been buying one way Y fares for every time I have had to go to NYC. I haven't had to pay for an upgrade in a while (I just burnt a bunch of upgrades when I flew to PAP over the holidays).
Old Jan 25, 04, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Your choices are JFK-LAX/SNA/SAN/LGB/SEA and EWR-LAX for 5 sticker upgrades. You'll want to do something like JFK-LAX-SAN, JFK-SNA-SJC/SFO, etc.
Old Jan 26, 04, 12:27 am

Programs: aa exp, spg plat, HH gold
I just got back Friday from an LAX-JFK-SFO-LAX run that cost just a little more than the direct round trip.
Old Jan 26, 04, 1:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Excellent ideas all. Thank you!

------------------
Vasant
Old Jan 26, 04, 1:22 am
Community Director

Fly JFK-LAX-SAN-LAX-JFK. You can't upgrade the 109 miles from LAX-SAN, as it is only 1 class service - but you will earn 500 miles for it.
Old Jan 26, 04, 7:57 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SFOJFK:
Why buy stickers? You can add a Y leg for $299 which would be the cost of 6 stickers, then you wouldn't have to worry about buying them. </font>
so, flying the Y leg instead of buying the $50 stickers is neutral except: (1) you get to upgrade immediately, (2) you get a fare class bonus?

are either of these statements true? just trying to figure out the difference of buying Y instead of buying cheap coach and using stickers from JFK to Los Angeles.

thx.
Old Jan 26, 04, 9:11 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Certainly seems that way, although I think your upgrade clears only at the upgrade window (unless it's a YUP fare) subject to available inventory. Great idea, SFOJFK! I didn't realize the Y fares were this reasonable, relatively speaking.

------------------
Vasant
Old Jan 26, 04, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Your Y leg upgrade clears with your normal elite window. The $299 segments apply to JFK-SJC/LGB/SNA/SAN in either direction. When this fare sale was listed in Fare Specials, it was set to expire on March 31, 2004. They don't list it any more, but you can still get a leg for $299.

I've been buying Y fares to/from SJC/JFK for a while. Now, I don't bother to buy my tickets until a couple of days before I leave. I've been buying one ways since this fare came out. I guess this is the reason why I'm not getting the 100,000/Y segment bonus offer.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly co to see the yanks:
so, flying the Y leg instead of buying the $50 stickers is neutral except: (1) you get to upgrade immediately, (2) you get a fare class bonus?

are either of these statements true? just trying to figure out the difference of buying Y instead of buying cheap coach and using stickers from JFK to Los Angeles.

thx.
</font>
Old Jan 26, 04, 4:35 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SFOJFK:
Your Y leg upgrade clears with your normal elite window. The $299 segments apply to JFK-SJC/LGB/SNA/SAN in either direction.</font>
interesting. so, you don't use stickers, you just have to wait for your elite window.

do you get a class of service bonus for Y?
Old Jan 26, 04, 5:35 pm
Val

Programs: AA Platinum, 2 Million Miles
No, but you get 1.5 Qpoints per mile flown.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly co to see the yanks:
interesting. so, you don't use stickers, you just have to wait for your elite window.

do you get a class of service bonus for Y?
</font>

[This message has been edited by Val (edited Jan 26, 2004).]
Old Jan 26, 04, 6:17 pm

</font>
just in case you've got an eye on weird statement activity realted to these free upgrades--- the accounting trail is a little jury-rigged; they subtract out the credits, then add them back for Y/B fare segments...

Old Jan 26, 04, 9:34 pm

I recommend the JFK-LAX-SAN routing since you get to ride in a 762 instead of a 757.
Old Jan 27, 04, 11:11 am

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold

VasantnI know your motivation may be different , but FWIW, I routinely fly SNA-JFK and don't always upgrade as the coach product on the non-stop is quite tolerable, especially with MRTC exit row seating, of course YMMV
Old Jan 27, 04, 12:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks Vaze, and nice to hear from you. I guess you've been busy with your new family responsibilities! Hope all is going well.

------------------
Vasant

Search this Thread