New Q-points Dis-AAdvantage?

Old Jan 20, 04, 8:18 am

New Q-points Dis-AAdvantage?

I came close to maintaining my EXP status last year with the retroactive Q point programme but will drop to PLT in March as I was several thousand points shy of the magic 100k. However, after reviewing my upcoming Q1+Q2 travel plans, it looks I will reach EXP by mid-June, thanks to full-fare/business fare q-points changing from 1x/1.25x to 1.5x.

Now from the intel that I have read here on FT, the timing of any elite status milestone is crucial in determing whether you qualify for a one or a one-and-a-half year membership. It is my understanding that if you achieve any elite status before July, then the membership year runs until the following February. However, if it is achieved in July or later, then the membership year runs much throughout the following year until the February after.

The question arises: should my qualifying June travel be done "anonymously" in terms of NOT providing AA with my aadvantage # and waiting until July and request retroactive credit, thereby achieving EXP in July instead of June?

Old Jan 20, 04, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is no difference for EXP qualification.

The timing issue is only related to Gold Challenge and Platinum challenge, not to regular qualification.
Old Jan 20, 04, 8:55 am

You have nothing to worry about. If it were physically possible, flying 100,000 miles or earning 100,000 Q-points on January 1, 2004, would still get you EXP through Feb. 28, 2006, just the same as reaching 100,000 points or miles on December 31, 2004.
Old Jan 20, 04, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
The rationale in the above post lets you keep EXP continuously by flying 100K miles/points every other year, as long as you do it by the end of February in the "on" years. One well-planned RTW through the southern hemisphere and the tropics in January can be a pleasant way to do this!
Old Jan 20, 04, 1:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by [email protected]:
I came close to maintaining my EXP status last year with the retroactive Q point programme but will drop to PLT in March as I was several thousand points shy of the magic 100k. However, after reviewing my upcoming Q1+Q2 travel plans, it looks I will reach EXP by mid-June, thanks to full-fare/business fare q-points changing from 1x/1.25x to 1.5x.
</font>
Your miles from Jan-Jun (actually Jan-Dec 04) go into the 2004 qualifying year, which determines status for the March05-Feb06 Membership year. It has long been AAdvantage policy to "comp" you any increase in status for the current Member year as well, in your case from the date of increase through Feb05.

As others have pointed out, the Challenges are different.
Old Jan 20, 04, 3:12 pm

Location: California, AA EXP,HH Gold,Hyatt Diamond, *wood PLT, Amex PLT,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Efrem:
One well-planned RTW through the southern hemisphere and the tropics in January can be a pleasant way to do this!</font>
Hi Efrem:
Have read the RTW suggestion on a number of posts and it sounds quite appealing. What are the dynamics of making this happen:i.e.how do u get 100K miles? Where do u book it? How many days required?
A response to any/all ?? would be appreciated. Thanks
kelly786
P.S. I have read the OneWorld forum and still don't have much of an idea on how to go about the above. I do feel slightly dimwitted for asking but ...
kelly
Old Jan 20, 04, 10:17 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kelly786:
Hi Efrem:
Have read the RTW suggestion on a number of posts and it sounds quite appealing. What are the dynamics of making this happen:i.e.how do u get 100K miles? Where do u book it? How many days required?
A response to any/all ?? would be appreciated. Thanks
kelly786
P.S. I have read the OneWorld forum and still don't have much of an idea on how to go about the above. I do feel slightly dimwitted for asking but ...
kelly
</font>
There's no particular magic. The key is to fly an rtw fare called OneWorld Explorer (OWE) which is segment-based, not miles based, so you can do silly butt-annoying things like fly long mileage-run segments to Timbuktu and back. (Just kidding, Timbuktu probably doesn't even have an airport.)

Recently, the rules were amended to limit a trip to 20 segments. You can intersperse as many open-jaws as you like to position yourself to fly 20 really long segments, but the limit certainly makes exp more difficult to achieve. The other rules that tend to be dampers include limits on certain juicy long hauls, e.g. only one trip from London to a far-away place like DXB and back and only one non-stop cross-country in North America and Australia. Only one trip between any two "continents" e.g. LHR-HKG (with a couple of exceptions). One and only one crossing of each ocean.

The basic rules, not particularly related to MR's are: 6 segments max in each "continent" (4 included in base fare, 2 avail for purchase) except in North America it's 8 max, 6 included, and in the continent of origin you can't purchase the extra two. Stopovers are unlimited except in the continent of origin, two max.

When you return to continent of origin, if you return to the city of origin you can't go any further, e.g. if you intend to start westbound from California and return to North America on a LHR-LAX flight, be sure to start from SFO or someplace other than LAX or you won't be able to use those 6 North American segments.

Otherwise there are no restrictions on re-visiting cities, and no restrictions on your travels within a continent, except the segment (and stopover) counts mentioned.

I don't know if my summary of the rules has helped or confused. The real rules are easily found in links in oneworld forum threads, and the gang over there is very, very newbie friendly. Although I personally prefer to travel for pleasure rather than mileage accumulation, there are plenty of folks over there who will gladly lay out a mileage-maximization route for you. There's also archival chatter about such routes, but remember that until a year ago the number of segments was unlimited and I suppose a determined body on a six-continent could have made lifetime gold in a single trip. (Just kidding.)

Costs depend on country of origin, and there are linked tables in the appropriate forum. For talking purposes, figure USD8000 for a three-continent first-class trip ex-US, not including more than the "free" segments. Since the biz class q-points multiplier is the same as first class now, for a mileage run you'd do that, I suppose. Remember you don't get credit for BA trans-atlantic to the U.S. Airport taxes tend to add $350 or so to the ticket price.

[This message has been edited by JohnAx (edited Jan 20, 2004).]
Old Jan 20, 04, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Somwhere on the highways and byways of the United States
Programs: WWBTNFTMTP Evangelist
Thanks JohnAx, I have a question. You said that RTW's used to have unlimited segments. There must have been some kind of limitation, what was that. Thanks and Timbuktu has a great airport with camels providing great ground transfers.
Old Jan 20, 04, 11:53 pm

Thank you for the excellent info on RTWs. I have had questions about these for a while now and I know that is how many make EXP or LH Senator. Apparently with the first class bonus in both programs it is easy to get to the top. In order to accomplish this they would have to double my luggage allowance as I would want to go shopping.

------------------
YAS+
Old Jan 21, 04, 12:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Efrem:
The rationale in the above post lets you keep EXP continuously by flying 100K miles/points every other year, as long as you do it by the end of February in the "on" years. One well-planned RTW through the southern hemisphere and the tropics in January can be a pleasant way to do this!</font>
Well, 2004 must be my "on" year, including a soon-to-start RTW that includes a visit to the Southwest Pacific. Many thanks to all of the posters for this clarification. I have no idea what I was thinking - never even done a challenge!

Old Jan 21, 04, 1:14 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by myefre:
Thanks JohnAx, I have a question. You said that RTW's used to have unlimited segments. There must have been some kind of limitation, what was that. </font>
There used to not be any explicit limit to the total number of segments, now the limit is 20, and it's rumoured to fall further to 16 soon (there is a thread about this in the oneworld forum). However, in reality there was, of course, a limit, since the number of segments allowed per continent was limited, and there are only so many continents on this planet.
Old Jan 21, 04, 4:56 pm

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
The number of segments in the "old" days was often limited by what your travel agent or ticketing office machine would print.

I remember having to make my travel agent hand write many RTWs for myself and my wife.

But back the the 10% commission made it worthwhile for them.
Old Jan 23, 04, 8:02 pm

Location: California, AA EXP,HH Gold,Hyatt Diamond, *wood PLT, Amex PLT,
Hi John

Thank you so much for your gracious and wonderful explanation of RTW trips. Members like you are what make FT such a great community. Thanks again
kelly786

Search this Thread