FA: "You can't leave the business class cabin"

Old Nov 27, 2014, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN
FA: "You can't leave the business class cabin"

Hello,

I recently flew AA international longhaul in business (miles/copay upgrade) on the 772 in the old layout, a journey I've made many times. Midway through the flight, I got up and made a lap down one aisle through Y to the very back of the plane and back up the other aisle, just to stretch my legs. I do this nearly every flight. I did not loiter, chat, use the lav -- just walked in a big circle.

When I got back to the business cabin, an FA told (scolded) me that I was not allowed to leave the business cabin. Please note, I only went through Y, not F.

I've done this many times and never been scolded. I feel I am less likely to disturb people this way than walking back and forth in the (relatively) small business cabin to get stretched out. And again, I never stopped moving. I made the circuit in 2-3 minutes, I would guess.

Was I wrong? Of course I didn't argue with her, but I was really surprised.

Thanks for your perspectives.
JM
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Has the rule regarding passengers being required to remain in their ticketed cabins on international flights been rescinded?
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, WN
Good question. I find nothing in AA's Contract of Carriage about it, nor do Google searches with several combinations of search terms return anything about this. We all hear the announcement about using the lav in your cabin, but not only did I not use the lav, I only went aft -- I didn't enter the F cabin. Thus, my questions.

I hope it can be answered here! Because I certainly have no desire to question an FA in flight and deal with the possible consequences.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
I often make a lap from F on TATL flights on BA and AA. But I always ask an FA before doing so. I do not recall one saying no. I also stand up by my seat fairly often. Besides comfort there is the concern about DVTs.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Every time I take a flight to the US, even if flying on a non-US carrier like CX, they make an announcement that as per US regulations, passengers are not permitted to cross between cabins and congregate on the aircraft.

The latter I rarely see enforced (especially since these flights are usually very long).
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The FA is just trying to protect you from coach pax like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeIKMAdZ9bY
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by alphaod
Every time I take a flight to the US, even if flying on a non-US carrier like CX, they make an announcement that as per US regulations, passengers are not permitted to cross between cabins and congregate on the aircraft.

The latter I rarely see enforced (especially since these flights are usually very long).
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Has the rule regarding passengers being required to remain in their ticketed cabins on international flights been rescinded?
Apparently not. It was announced by the captain during climb on the MEX-DFW flight I'm writing this from now, both to remain in the ticketed cabin and to use the lavs in your cabin, citing "US security regulations".
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:09 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Although they typically do make the announcement on most international flights to stay in your assigned cabin, this sounds like an overzealous FA who feels they must enforce this with no regard to common sense.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

It's annoying when coach passengers do the same (lap around the plane thru biz), so it's also annoying when prem cabin passengers do it. You can do stretches at your seat - plenty of room for that. Or even by the galley/exit.

Last flight I was on, I was in the aisle seat and the "walker" kept grabbing the aisles' headrests for stability (he was old). That's just what we all want - someone grabbing your seat every so often.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GB
Although they typically do make the announcement on most international flights to stay in your assigned cabin, this sounds like an overzealous FA who feels they must enforce this with no regard to common sense.
Given that there is a US regulation that explicitly prohibits it , how is ensuring that the laws are complied with being "ovezealous"

Sounds like a FA actually doing their job

I didn't think that the rule had been rescinded, but wasn't sure , but assuming it hadn't the OP should not have been wandering around other cabins
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
OP, you have to listen to the little old lady or you will get spanked. :-)
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
Next time say, "That you are worried about DVT and that you plan to take walks every now and then. So go away."
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Inimitable.

OP, keep doing your walks, they are healthy and promote good circulation and prevent DVTs. Your FA was having a grumpy day. Best to just ignore people who are feeling this way. If you run into it again, tell them you got medical advice to take the little walks.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:23 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 5:05 am
Old Nov 27, 2014, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't read every post in that thread, but the federal rule that requires airlines to tell passengers to stay in their ticketed cabin on in-bound international flights was not memorialized in a federal regulation. The rule was communicated to airlines as a "Security Directive," and as such, its existence is not recognized by the TSA or any other part of DHS. Sort of like the prohibition applicable to airlines on disclosing why your F seats were taken away when the sky marshals requisition them.

The security directive requires that airlines tell passengers not to move between cabins, but it does not require airlines to physically prohibit passengers from crossing cabin boundaries.

In the past 13+ years that this directive has been in effect, I have never been accosted when moving rear-ward on an inbound aircraft, as the obvious intent of the rule is to prohibit passengers from moving from economy or business to First Class, not the other way around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.