Have you ever pulled rank on an FA?

Old Jan 19, 04, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Have you ever pulled rank on an FA?

I was wondering if anyone here has ever pulled rank on the FA to get what you need/want during a flight.

For example: I was seated in the coach cabin and had to go to the bathroom badly. The coach lav was occupied, so I walked up to the F lavatory. The FA told me this lav was only for F class PAX and told me to use the coach lav. I flashed my PLT card and she said "Sure, go ahead!".

It's funny how some FAs are lavatory nazis and others couldn't care a less.

Old Jan 19, 04, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Wow! Flash your elite card to use the FC head. Never even thought of that one.

Never "pulled rank" in the air. But I did once with a GA who was assigning seats when the equipment was changed and I had four FC tix and was EXP. This guy was just assigning new seats on a first come, last served basis and I was first on line. Then I not only flashed my EXP card but called the EXP desk on my cell and had them speak to him personally.

------------------
AA - Home of the best FF program in the world.

[This message has been edited by inlanikai (edited Jan 19, 2004).]
Old Jan 19, 04, 8:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Aladinsane4miles:
The FA told me this lav was only for F class PAX and told me to use the coach lav.</font>
On most of the flights I have taken in the last year, the Captain has mentioned that each cabin should use the restrooms for that particular cabin. I agree with this.

To answer the original question specified in the post, no, I have not pulled rank - because in the air, the crew outrank me.

------------------
The perfect ladies' man is a perfect gentleman.

[This message has been edited by studley (edited Jan 19, 2004).]
Old Jan 19, 04, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL PLT; EK SLV; VX GLD; HHonors DIAM; SPG Platinum
Hmmm.... by pulling rank, could I claim that I am an Admiral and flash my AC card?
Old Jan 19, 04, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by studley:
On most of the flights I have taken in the last year, the Captain has mentioned that each cabin should use the restrooms for that particular cabin. I agree with this.
</font>
I totally agree with you here, but my teeth were floating!

Old Jan 19, 04, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Hmmm.... by pulling rank, could I claim that I am an Admiral and flash my AC card?"</font>
hahahahahaha!

Thanks for the laugh!
Old Jan 19, 04, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Flashing one's card can easily produce the opposite effect.

" Sorry sir this line is for F pax only. However, as a EXP you are entitled to use our new Elite Lav line."
Old Jan 19, 04, 9:35 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
I would have thought there would be two situations:
1. You _really_ have to go - in this case, I think a little hopping up and down while informing the flight attendant of this fact in embarrassed, hushed tones would get you a pass. The flight attendant does not want you to inadvertently create a flight service nightmare in the aisleway.
2. You don't want to wait - in this case, I'm with those who think you should wait.
Old Jan 20, 04, 1:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This whole issue could be soooo easily solved. All AA needs to do is to have a boarding card reader connected to the toilet door. Insert a 1st boarding pass at a 1st,business or Economy toilet for Accees; a Business boarding pass at business or economy and an economy pass at the economy toilets. Use of the wrong pass and the door does not open...It can also help in "security" ( since people congregating by toilets is a security risk..yeah right) . Rather than people queuing, a toilet agent will be provided for each set of lavatories ( naturally the fee for this will be added as a separate tax on the ticket dpeending on the aircraft type ). This person will collect BPs from passengers wishing to avail themselves of the facilities and call them up over the PA when it is their turn. Don't forget to tip the agent of course if you have any expectation of using the facilities again that flight

Dave
Old Jan 20, 04, 1:36 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
What about a return to pay toilets?
Old Jan 20, 04, 3:33 am

Programs: QF LTG, Velocity FF Red, HH Diamond, PC Platinum Ambassador, UA Nothing
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
This whole issue could be soooo easily solved. All AA needs to do is to have a boarding card reader connected to the toilet door. Insert a 1st boarding pass at a 1st,business or Economy toilet for Accees; a Business boarding pass at business or economy and an economy pass at the economy toilets. Use of the wrong pass and the door does not open...It can also help in "security" ( since people congregating by toilets is a security risk..yeah right) . Rather than people queuing, a toilet agent will be provided for each set of lavatories ( naturally the fee for this will be added as a separate tax on the ticket dpeending on the aircraft type ). This person will collect BPs from passengers wishing to avail themselves of the facilities and call them up over the PA when it is their turn. Don't forget to tip the agent of course if you have any expectation of using the facilities again that flight

Dave
</font>
Dave,

I think you've hit upon a secondary roll for the sky marshalls. They could double as toilet marshalls.

------------------
Chao.
Old Jan 20, 04, 4:47 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lensman:
What about a return to pay toilets?</font>
It's coming on Ryanair.
Old Jan 20, 04, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I haven't pulled rank on an FA, but I've had an FA do it for me with another PAX. That PAX was loud and giving me a line of bull about how important she was when the FA came by with my G & T. The FA smiled her Miss America smile and said something like 'oh, Mrs. X knows all about flying on AA. She flies more miles than I do! In fact, I never has to ask her what she would like to drink.'

End of loud bluster from my seat mate. Lovely moment!

Old Jan 20, 04, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Aladinsane4miles:
I was wondering if anyone here has ever pulled rank on the FA to get what you need/want during a flight.
</font>
Well, I guess this counts. On a flight once, an FA was giving a passenger attitude when the passenger was trying to tell her that there was something wrong with the IFE system. I told the FA out of ear shot that I'm a very loyal FF and although she may not care whether non-FFs ever fly with AA again, I do. She went back and helped the other passenger.

Old Jan 20, 04, 8:49 am

I flashed my PLT card...

It's funny how some FAs are lavatory nazis and others couldn't care a less.

</font>

Oh lord give me strength!

Search this Thread