Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you ever pulled rank on an FA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2004, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
I was on a 763 to CDG a couple of months ago when the purser asked J pax on the right side of the plane to consider using the foward coach lavs during the meal service. (Bulkhead J was occupied.)

A 360 from the 'whiz in your own cabin' rule usually in effect.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 9:12 am

FA's will always hold the last trump card--the FAA states you have to obey their directions or face the consequences.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I've never used the "look how important I am!" approach and wouldn't. In my experience with customer service people in general, it creates more ill-will than it helps.

(There's an old joke about a self-important chap who didn't get the respect he thought he deserved from a gate agent. When he shouted "Do you know who I am?" at her, she picked up the PA microphone and announced "We have a passenger who does not know who he is. If anyone can help identify him, please come to the desk now.")

What I've done at times is to mention status when it could be worked into conversation without being too artificial, or to leave the luggage tag on my briefcase showing where it can't be missed, before any situation arises. I think it's helped once or twice.

Usually, though, it doesn't matter. Different in-flight service is not an elite benefit.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 10:56 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Aladinsane4miles:
I was wondering if anyone here has ever pulled rank on the FA to get what you need/want during a flight.

For example: I was seated in the coach cabin and had to go to the bathroom badly. The coach lav was occupied, so I walked up to the F lavatory. The FA told me this lav was only for F class PAX and told me to use the coach lav. I flashed my PLT card and she said "Sure, go ahead!".
</font>
The idea behind this post upsets me.

GLD/PLT/EXP is a marketing tool, it's not "rank." We as travelers have no "rank" over FAs. Yes, we are their clients, and we expect good service from them, but we don't have any entitlement to their subservience or service because of the AAdvantage marketing tool in our pocket.

I'm reminded of a story a UA FA told me about how she'd stopped at Safeway (grocery store) on the way home from the airport once, in her uniform, and while waiting in line, had a 1K flyer show her his card and ask to cut in front of her.

IMHO, GLD/PLT/EXP are no more entitled to use a specific lavatory outside our ticketed cabin than are any other non-status flyers.
And this idea that we have some kind of extraordinary rank-provided powers over FAs is ludicrous.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"Pulled rank?" Hmmmm... Federal laws are quite clear about who is ultimately "the boss" on a flight. It ain't me...

OTOH, "I've REALLY got to go NOW", as opposed to the UA pax in FC who left his mark on the dining cart, would be likely to get a sympathetic nod.

(Sometimes, NOTHING works - I recall a JFK - JNB SA flight where most of the heads packed it in. The ANC was aboard, and even Nelson Mandela queued up. Our teeth landed about five minutes after the a/c.)
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:45 am

Edited out of disgust for the way the thread started and ended and the complete lack of respect involved with the arrogance of this type of attitude.

[This message has been edited by AAFA (edited Jan 20, 2004).]
Old Jan 20, 2004, 11:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RicoWrite:

Oh lord give me strength!
</font>
No kidding. My first thought was.... Oh please, spare me.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

[content removed by moderator]

[This message has been edited by Plato90s (edited Jan 20, 2004).]
Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:31 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Us? No thanks... if you wish to do that, do it to yourself.
Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:31 pm

In reference to your last 4 posts...just above this one: I hope you are kidding....

Let me just tell you. I think you were treated very well for a long time after your original post. Also, the F/A on your flight was showing great restraint when she told you to "go ahead". I am sure she realized that she held your dignity in her hands and was much too gracious to crush your ego like she would a nut on the floor in the galley with her pump.

[This message has been edited by airlinebiznut (edited Jan 20, 2004).]
Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:45 pm

I would have defended your right to express your opinion until you spit out your little tirade train above.

Hope you enjoyed your time on FT!
Old Jan 20, 2004, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Aladinsane4miles:
I was wondering if anyone here has ever pulled rank on the FA to get what you need/want during a flight.

For example: I was seated in the coach cabin and had to go to the bathroom badly. The coach lav was occupied, so I walked up to the F lavatory. The FA told me this lav was only for F class PAX and told me to use the coach lav. I flashed my PLT card and she said "Sure, go ahead!".

It's funny how some FAs are lavatory nazis and others couldn't care a less.

</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.