Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice re changing terminals quickly at MIA this afternoon

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Advice re changing terminals quickly at MIA this afternoon

Due to irrops today (delayed AA flight, first segment changed to UA), I have 40 minutes to connect from an inbound UA flight arriving MIA Terminal G to a departing AA Carribbean flight leaving MIA Terminal D (right now showing D36). No checked bags, I'm checked in, and I have PreCheck, but I realize this is likely going to be a futile effort. That said, what's the fastest way to get from G to D and can I stay airside in switching terminals?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately you will have to go thru security.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP
There is a moving walkway upstairs outside security that could help you run to D. Pre-check should be very fast. You will then have to turn left once through security and run to the gate or take the elevator up to the train and go one exit. Use the elevator, much quicker than the escalators.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
Due to irrops today (delayed AA flight, first segment changed to UA), I have 40 minutes to connect from an inbound UA flight arriving MIA Terminal G to a departing AA Carribbean flight leaving MIA Terminal D (right now showing D36). No checked bags, I'm checked in, and I have PreCheck, but I realize this is likely going to be a futile effort. That said, what's the fastest way to get from G to D and can I stay airside in switching terminals?
No way to get from G to D airside. There is a moving walk that connects the concourses and if you have PreCheck you might be able to just make it but it will be close if everything is on time. And that train is up 2 long escalators and can take a little time to arrive (hence the elevator post above). You are better off hiking it down to D36 IMO...
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
It will be doable with an early or on-time arrival. But, bear in mind boarding will start almost after wheels down on your arrival.

If you are fit and used to running sprints, I would avoid the train, you can definately run it at a brisk pace faster. If you hit it wrong the train could eat up over half your connect time.

Good luck, its not hopeless but, don't get too down if you miss it. Hopefully you are all on one ticket and are protected. You should check where your aa flight is leaving from. If its "E" its a bit easier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.