Which has more C availability - LHR/ORD or LGW/DFW?

Old Jan 19, 04, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Which has more C availability - LHR/ORD or LGW/DFW?

Sorry for the dumb question, but ever since the inavaluable Galileo site stopped working, I've been completely in the dark about upgrade avilability for my transatlantic trips.

We're going to PHX in May. I'd prefer LGW-DFW and v.v. for the transatlantic legs, but happy to fly to ORD, JFK or wherever.

Assuming the AA desk as (un) helpful as ever and can't / won't cour around to find me a routing with upgrade availabiltiy. I'm normally left to book the flights then put myself on an upgrade waitlist (these a mielage upgrades, not VIPs). Does anyone have experience of which routes are most likely to yield me a business class seat in both directions?

I've had success on both routes many times over the last couple of years, but mainly when I was able to scout around on the Galileo site myself, spot upgrade availability, then book the tickets.

Thanks
Old Jan 19, 04, 2:12 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AndrewC:
ever since the inavaluable Galileo site stopped working, I've been completely in the dark about upgrade avilability for my transatlantic trips.</font>
After you read this thread and check out the "new" tool available, you shall no longer be in the dark.

------------------
The perfect ladies' man is a perfect gentleman.

[This message has been edited by studley (edited Jan 19, 2004).]
Old Jan 19, 04, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Unfortunately, my firewall won't let me download the program
Old Jan 19, 04, 6:33 am

Programs: AA PLT/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
In case you weren't aware AA is starting nonstop JFK-PHX effective 1/31. There will be an outbound flight from JFK around 6 pm, which would be a nice connection with the noon LHR-JFK flight. The returns from PHX are a midday flight getting in to JFK around 7 pm, perfect for the overnight JFK-LHR barrage, and an overnight flight getting into JFK around 6 am, which could connect to the 8:30 am LHR departure. I have had lots of luck getting multiple upgrades on the JFK-LHR route. The 8:30 am flight is a virtual guarantee. This routing also breaks the trip into more equal segments, which is my preference but YMMV.
Old Jan 19, 04, 7:49 am

Programs: AA LfGLD, HH Gold, PC Plt, Marriott Plt
I assume your firewall will not let email attachment through as well?

If not send me an email.

PS Where in the English countryside?
Old Jan 19, 04, 8:46 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat 1MM
To address your initial question "Which has more C availability - LHR/ORD or LGW/DFW?" - I have wondered this myself. I have actually never been waitlisted LHR-ORD, but have been waitlisted every time LGW-DFW. The time of the request (weeks, months) seems irrelevant. (I am still waitlisted for an LGW-DFW upgrade a few weeks from now, have been for months and the cabin is almost empty.) It must be the actual number of available flights per day that causes the squeeze - needless to say LHR-ORD wins.
Old Jan 19, 04, 10:00 pm

ORD and JFK always have more upgrade space than DFW becuase DFW only has two flights a day. Time of day and day of week also have a major impact on upgrade space.

Search this Thread