Search

IRROPS: AA can't make changes because?? [pax "LFTD" status]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:01 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
IRROPS: AA can't make changes because?? [pax "LFTD" status]

GIG-DFW delayed. approx 12 hrs after everyone on plane for MX.

AA deplanes arranges hotel and returns luggage. Changes connecting flight (DFW-FLL) to last flight of day with just legal connect time.

Call AA to see if there are options since with any line at DFW immigration connection will probably be missed.

AA USA based phone rep is EXCELLENT and finds a way on JJ to MIA via GRU getting in 9 hrs earlier. PROBLEM- Computer shows pax status as "LFTD" which means STILL ON PLANE" and therefore there is nothing anyone can do until airport releases pax.

This conversation is at about 3AM Rio time so there is no one left at GIG even if they could call.

So basically SOL.

Any Comments?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by alhcfp
Any Comments?
Wow.. One more night in Rio..........
The other comment is "OOPS!"

Did you call back? Ask for a supervisor?

Last edited by mvoight; Nov 24, 2014 at 11:22 am
Old Nov 24, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
LFTD = Lifted, in the old days it meant the airport had physically lifted the flight coupon from the passenger. Overriding that would have been a big deal.

It sounds like they took a shortcut, instead of offloading every passenger and scanning their BP to do so, they were just going to eyeball things in the morning and count to make sure everyone came back.

If so, yes it is a big deal to off load a passenger, or even for somebody to no-show... both local issues and US Govt issue with the transmitted manifest for clearance into US Airspace.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:38 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BStrauss3
LFTD = Lifted, in the old days it meant the airport had physically lifted the flight coupon from the passenger. Overriding that would have been a big deal.

It sounds like they took a shortcut, instead of offloading every passenger and scanning their BP to do so, they were just going to eyeball things in the morning and count to make sure everyone came back.

If so, yes it is a big deal to off load a passenger, or even for somebody to no-show... both local issues and US Govt issue with the transmitted manifest for clearance into US Airspace.
Considering everyone was sent home or to hotels, I am sure not everyone is going to be heading back.

Is this normal procedure?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:44 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
Wow.. One more night in Rio..........
The other comment is "OOPS!"

Did you call back? Ask for a supervisor?
Confirmed w/ 2 EXP agents..this is the case..only airport can release and was error of airport staff.

As for sarcastic comment- I posted this not for myself but to contribute to collective wisdom pool.

Also- its not the night in GIG- its the almost certain misconnect in DFW
on last flite of nite.

This must be unusual since there are very few comments

Thank you ADMIN for clarifying the title.

Last edited by alhcfp; Nov 24, 2014 at 5:50 pm
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:15 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
I had a MX delay out of SFO recently where we were all deplaned. I went to the AC for rebooking and they couldn't compete the reroute because the gate agent hadn't reopened the flight and indicated our tickets were open for reissue. The AAC called the gate to get the agent there to do that last step -- somehow it had been overlooked.

And... Last summer I was on GRU-DFW and we went MX and were deplaned. Same issue. And no airport agents around to reopen the flight. The awesome EXP phone agent knew what needed to be done-- but it was an airport function. So she called the LAX AC and got an agent to uncheck me from the flight to finish the reissue. That was terrific problem solving on her part.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
And... Last summer I was on GRU-DFW and we went MX and were deplaned. Same issue. And no airport agents around to reopen the flight. The awesome EXP phone agent knew what needed to be done-- but it was an airport function. So she called the LAX AC and got an agent to uncheck me from the flight to finish the reissue. That was terrific problem solving on her part.
You mean you were stranded in GRU, headed to DFW, and the EXP phone agent called the LAX AC to uncheck you in? I'm trying to understand what LAX has to do with GRU-DFW?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
You mean you were stranded in GRU, headed to DFW, and the EXP phone agent called the LAX AC to uncheck you in? I'm trying to understand what LAX has to do with GRU-DFW?
Sounds like the EXP agent was friends with the LAX AC staff. Since no one was available at GRU and that procedure is an airport only function (but technically any airport can do it), the agent called the people she knew at an airport (LAX AC) and solved the problem for the pax.

That agent would get HUGE kudos from me.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:58 am

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Originally Posted by DWFI
Sounds like the EXP agent was friends with the LAX AC staff. Since no one was available at GRU and that procedure is an airport only function (but technically any airport can do it), the agent called the people she knew at an airport (LAX AC) and solved the problem for the pax.

That agent would get HUGE kudos from me.
Correct.

The EXP agent phoned an airport she knew was staffed at that hour; I was at GRU and she called LAX.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
Correct.

The EXP agent phoned an airport she knew was staffed at that hour; I was at GRU and she called LAX.
So, I guess the question is, if this happens to one of us in the future, what kind of results can we get if we tell the phone agent (EXP or not) to contact an airport agent to offload us from the flight that has the IRROP?

Last edited by mvoight; Nov 25, 2014 at 1:21 am
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:24 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
So, I guess the question is, if this happens to one of us in the future, what kind of results can we get if we tell the phone agent (EXP or not) to contact an airport agent to offload us from the flight that has the IRROP?
I was about to ask the same thing.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
More than friends, the person s/he called had to have the right access. Something most phone agents or AAngels would not have - unless they were a GA at some point...
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Some potentially VERY valuable information in the last few posts..... thx
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:17 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Some potentially VERY valuable information in the last few posts..... thx
Originally Posted by alhcfp
Confirmed w/ 2 EXP agents..this is the case..only airport can release and was error of airport staff.

As for sarcastic comment- I posted this not for myself but to contribute to collective wisdom pool.
Which is why it is important to post unusual circumstances.......it gives us input and learning opportunities.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 4:19 pm

This seems like a true case of YMMV. In this case, I had a really competent and diligent EXP agent, and she found an experienced agent at LAX to help. It's certainly something I'd ask an agent to do in the future if it happened to me -- but of note, if you look at my two different experience up-thread, in one case the SFO AAngel needed the gate agent to open the flight and in the other the LAX AAngel was able to do it herself (for a flight out of a different station, no less). So, seems highly dependent on the circumstances plus the personnel involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.