Wiki Posts
Search

Same flight number = same aircraft?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Same flight number = same aircraft?

Apologies if there is a thread for this, but I'm generally to be found in the BA forum...

AA1415 DFW-IAH dep. 11.40AM
and
AA1415 IAH-DFW dep. 1.15PM

Is this going to be operated by the same plane? If not, what is the likelihood of me managing to make this connection? (Yes, I need to do an immediate turn-around at IAH as part of positioning after a mileage run.)

Your vast ocean of knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
pianoamit
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pianoamit
Apologies if there is a thread for this, but I'm generally to be found in the BA forum...

and

Is this going to be operated by the same plane? If not, what is the likelihood of me managing to make this connection? (Yes, I need to do an immediate turn-around at IAH as part of positioning after a mileage run.)

Your vast ocean of knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
pianoamit
These flights will likely be operated by the same aircraft. This is not always true of the same flight number though. For example AA65 is an international 767 from ZRH-JFK and then a domestic 738 from JFK-DFW.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
AA has this odd way of numbering some of its flights as you've discovered. This is particularly true of north/south turnarounds like the one identified. The same is true of the daily afternoon/evening DFW-YYZ-DFW flight which bears the same flight number inbound and outbound, same A319.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
With all the mergers airlines are running out of flight numbers. United does the same. It is not as all as it was say in the 1970's. Odd flight numbers were flights running east-west and north-south.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
May or may not be same aircraft. I would guess almost certainly unless there was an irrops going on.

Since you will stay airside, should not be a problem to make connection. However MCT at IAH looks like 45 minutes. if you miss the flight can your schedule still accommodate the later IAH-DFW flight?

I had something similar MTY-DFW-MTY two weeks ago and they made me do immigration and customs in MTY. Connection time was 55 min and arrived (back) at the gate after F had boarded.... Prior to leaving DFW, when I spoke to the AC in DFW, they said I needed to fly the RT- but had there been issues with the flights (IRROPS) they could have overrode and skipped the two segments.

Id be slightly nervous about violating the MCT. But I've done it more than a few times
Old Nov 10, 2014, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Thank you guys... I would have 50 minutes, so that should be alright. The problem is that this is the end of LAX-DFW-IAH, and the next ticket is IAH-DFW-LHR, and was ticketed by BA, so I'm not sure whether they'd be so kind as to rebook me if necessary... However, my thinking is that I should be OK, because there's no immigration involved, and I can just get off the plane and join the back of the queue, right?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
May or may not be same aircraft. I would guess almost certainly unless there was an irrops going on.
This.

Barring mx, weather, etc... DFW-IAH, IAH-DFW is a turn around flight.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:21 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Maybe the same aircraft, maybe not. Was flying US DCA-PBI. That flight number operates as BTV-DCA-PBI with same aircraft type but apparently not the same aircraft as DCA-PBI operated with PVM-DCA equipment.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too

and
Thank you guys... I would have 50 minutes, so that should be alright. The problem is that this is the end of LAX-DFW-IAH, and the next ticket is IAH-DFW-LHR, and was ticketed by BA, so I'm not sure whether they'd be so kind as to rebook me if necessary... However, my thinking is that I should be OK, because there's no immigration involved, and I can just get off the plane and join the back of the queue, right?
My bad, I was looking at 11:40 and thinking 12:15 = 35 minutes. (come to think of it, you were posting departures for each anyway! )

If you have 50 you are fine. Just get off and back on.

Oneworld will rebook is misconnects even if split tickets- or that is the policy. If you are on AA50, then you have AA78 & AA80 as back up, right?

IME you'll be fine.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Since your IAH-DFW-LHR is international, someone will need to check the validity of your passport. I'm not sure if the Gate Agent can do that or it needs to be at ticketing. I'd take care of it at DFW to minimize the complications,.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
On AA ( not US) at the current time yes it's almost always the same aircraft returning given AA's hub to spoke back to hub scheduling for a quick turn unless it's a FLT that turns into international at the hub.

Easy way to check is the flight status on a given day for the inbound and outbound flight ( after they have arrived) and it will show the gate numbers for both. If the same yes is the same eqp on such quick turns. In this specific case it arrived and departed for DFW from A29 at IAH so it's the same aircraft.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Since your IAH-DFW-LHR is international, someone will need to check the validity of your passport. I'm not sure if the Gate Agent can do that or it needs to be at ticketing. I'd take care of it at DFW to minimize the complications,.
The gate agents can and do verify the travel documents, especially now that AA has adopted the US practice of ensuring that all passengers' passports are swiped.

That being said, I don't think the document verification would come up until boarding at the gateway city (DFW).
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
My bad, I was looking at 11:40 and thinking 12:15 = 35 minutes. (come to think of it, you were posting departures for each anyway! )

If you have 50 you are fine. Just get off and back on.

Oneworld will rebook is misconnects even if split tickets- or that is the policy. If you are on AA50, then you have AA78 & AA80 as back up, right?

IME you'll be fine.
Actually I'm on the BA192 DFW-LHR, and the IAH-DFW is also sold under a BA codeshare. AFAIK, while AA happily rebooks you, BA is not so lenient - if you are on separate tickets, then you're SOL if you miss a flight. Let's hope, if it does come to it (because even in November TX weather is not likely to be a major issue - he said crossing his fingers and knocking on wood) that the DFW agents are more familiar with AA's policies than with BA's...

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'm pretty sure the document check for international flights happens when you board the international flight like 3JulietTango says below.

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
The gate agents can and do verify the travel documents, especially now that AA has adopted the US practice of ensuring that all passengers' passports are swiped.

That being said, I don't think the document verification would come up until boarding at the gateway city (DFW).
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 9.9MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Is this going to be operated by the same plane?
Not necessarily, I had a flight from JFK to SEA a few years ago that went from JFK-ORD-SEA with the same flight number. Arrived in ORD late due to IRROPs, and a bunch of us discovered the ORD to SEA flight with the same flight number had already left. We all thought we would be safe because we assumed the same flight number would mean the same plane.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Silver
What I have noticed in last few years is, if you are flying into DFW and the same flight number is on a flight from DFW, the its almost certain its the same aircraft. Its pretty much on most routes now.

If OP is not able to OLCI for IAH-LHR flights then OP has to check in for IAH-LHR flights at IAH, I assume. So IAH would the point for document verification. I am not sure if AA agent can verify the documents/update for BA tickets (I am assuming they can). Since the turn around is short at IAH, I think it would be a good idea to verify the documents and get IAH-LHR boarding passes at DFW before boarding DFW-IAH flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.