Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Obese New Flyer With Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the last two responses. I don't want to quote both and have a huge page filled, so hope you both understand that.

I think we might just rent a car, check in to the hotel, unload, then take the car to the rental place, get a ride to the airport, and then from the airport back to the hotel. Seems the prices to park at the hotel/airport are rather expensive, unless I park far from the airport, which I'm not sure about.

Really don't like the idea of leaving cars at an airport for a long time. Thieves seem to love that.

I think I'll do what you both suggested and sit in a row rather than the bulkhead, just because I do like to stretch out a little on trips and will want the max amount of stretching room I can get.

I'll try not to drink too much. I do a lot of hiking and what not, and while I don't get drunk at 9,000ft, we are also talking 20,000ft, so I'll have to be careful. Not that I've ever been a crazy drinker anyways, just want a little to mellow out.

I thought I read you can't use any electronics during takeoff. Whether that be laptops, cameras, phones, iPods, etc. Did that change? Or was I just told incorrectly?

Thanks for all the other information it's been great. Really makes me feel more and more comfortable to fly.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by HighSierra

I thought I read you can't use any electronics during takeoff. Whether that be laptops, cameras, phones, iPods, etc. Did that change? Or was I just told incorrectly?
Yes, that changed about a year or two (???) ago. You can now use ipods, iphones, ipads during take-off and landing...though not laptops. The FA will just instruct you to put your devide in "airplane mode", which is explicitly labeled as such in your settings, during take-offs and landings. It means that you can't get wifi or cellular service when in that mode.

It's possible that you might be asked to take off your headphones during the brief safety announcement at the start of the flight - can't say for certain, since I'm usually reading a magazine rather than watching anything at that stage -but beyond that you should be fine using your device all the way.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
One other thought for a nervous flyer. Mechanical delays do happen. They do not mean there is anything inherently dangerous or wrong about the plane. In modern American and EU travel, commercial aircraft have to have eighteen different level of redundancies and safety requirements for a given system, and while it's essentially perfectly safe to check 14 of 18 those boxes and fly, the airline is still required to go 18 for 18.

A mechanical delay can be for something as trivial as literal paperwork. There is a thread on FT talking about flights getting delayed or even cancelled because the airplane didn't have enough airplane safety cards to put into all the seat pockets on the plane. (Apparently the airline can get a huge fine if it turns out an FAA inspector is on the flight and checks for the safety cards and even one is missing, so the company doesn't want to risk that fine.)

In the very unlikely event that there is something substantially wrong with the plane, safety card issue notwithstanding, it will be taken out of service and you'll either be placed on a back-up plane or be rerouted onto other flights. A paid first class fare is generally going to 'be protected' (ie. get better rerouting options) than someone who bought a discount coach ticket and is also trying to get to their destination.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Yes, that changed about a year or two (???) ago. You can now use ipods, iphones, ipads during take-off and landing...though not laptops. The FA will just instruct you to put your devide in "airplane mode", which is explicitly labeled as such in your settings, during take-offs and landings. It means that you can't get wifi or cellular service when in that mode.

It's possible that you might be asked to take off your headphones during the brief safety announcement at the start of the flight - can't say for certain, since I'm usually reading a magazine rather than watching anything at that stage -but beyond that you should be fine using your device all the way.
Good to know, I was planning on putting on music during takeoff and just closing my eyes, but then though I wouldn't be able to do it. Glad I can.

Originally Posted by beachmouse
One other thought for a nervous flyer. Mechanical delays do happen. They do not mean there is anything inherently dangerous or wrong about the plane. In modern American and EU travel, commercial aircraft have to have eighteen different level of redundancies and safety requirements for a given system, and while it's essentially perfectly safe to check 14 of 18 those boxes and fly, the airline is still required to go 18 for 18.

A mechanical delay can be for something as trivial as literal paperwork. There is a thread on FT talking about flights getting delayed or even cancelled because the airplane didn't have enough airplane safety cards to put into all the seat pockets on the plane. (Apparently the airline can get a huge fine if it turns out an FAA inspector is on the flight and checks for the safety cards and even one is missing, so the company doesn't want to risk that fine.)

In the very unlikely event that there is something substantially wrong with the plane, safety card issue notwithstanding, it will be taken out of service and you'll either be placed on a back-up plane or be rerouted onto other flights. A paid first class fare is generally going to 'be protected' (ie. get better rerouting options) than someone who bought a discount coach ticket and is also trying to get to their destination.
That's actually great to know because that's the one thing I wouldn't want to hear. Though I'm guessing they never tell you that's the reason, they just say delayed?

Either way I probably would have had a bit of a nervous breakdown at that point. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited by aBroadAbroad; Nov 21, 2014 at 5:28 pm
Old Nov 11, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
If a reason is given it's something rather mundane-sounding like 'we need to fix a partition in the cargo hold' a problem with the airplane toilet system, a burned out bulb on the emergency exit sign, or they had to do a hard reset of their computer system to get rid of an alert on a computer screen that had come up in error.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:12 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I'll try not to drink too much. I do a lot of hiking and what not, and while I don't get drunk at 9,000ft, we are also talking 20,000ft, so I'll have to be careful. Not that I've ever been a crazy drinker anyways, just want a little to mellow out.
Cabins are pressurized, depending on the aircraft, to simulate 6000-8000 feet, otherwise people would pass out at high altitudes.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Well in that case I shouldn't have any issues. I practically live at those elevations.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I guess is, with my size (6'3, 330lbs, 52" waist), would I have an issue in the 17" seat, with the seatbelt?
I don't know your body shape, but I am 6'2, 220, wide-ish shoulders, and I can't fit in a 17in seat without either rotating slightly (not great for the back) or encroaching on the shoulder space of my neighbor. I would assume that you have more space requirments than I do, so I would not try the 17" seat if I were you. Even if you "fit", you will not be comfortable.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
Fear of flying? I got yer fear of flying right here! friend, I spent almost 15 years thinking I was going to die every time I set foot on a plane. I spent 30 years in the Army, which entailed many overseas flights. Did you know I kept those aluminum beasts in the air with sheer concentration alone!? No sleep for me, if I started to drift off, I would awake with a jolt of panic, after all I had to stay awake to keep the plane aloft. Some of you out there understand. Anyway about 12 years ago I took a job that required flying every week and I found myself drinking at seven in the am to get on the plane. I soon figured out I needed to tackle this monster before I had to check into rehab..so I started researching fear of flying. I educated myself on the sounds and sensations, I chatted up Flight attendants and pilots and today I am doing a mileage run to get the last 20k to become a million miler with United. I still have my moments but they are manageable. One day someone pointed out that my fear was merely a matter of my imagination and asked me to explain why I didn't feel the same panic driving down the freeway. That really hit me and I analyzed It while driving and came away with the facade that I Felt More In Contral while driving regardless of the truth and the lightbulb went off, my fear was my fear, it had nothing to do with reality..no amount of focus and concentration would help that plane, I was just wasting energy.
So that may or may not help you, but in the short term you could ask your doc for a few anti anxiety pills for the flight..also original formula Dramamine usually makes me so tired I don't care what happens! Just make sure to take it an hour prior to departure. And yeah a few drinks on board is helpful too...yes the food and drink in first is free, I usually go for the wine and tell em to keep it coming, you won't stand out at all for doing likewise.

I'm typing this from 35k enroute to Seattle. You will be fine and when you feel like freaking out just remember that the Hurricane Hunters out of Tampa Fly Into Hurricanes to take measurements and they've been doing so for years, look it up!

Oh yeah, here's a preflight challenge for the next couple days put acup of water in your cars cup holder and drive around..see how much you spill..then on your upcoming flight do the same. Report back here with the results!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Haha, I know my big fear is definitely the control thing, and after reading that website someone posted, it really made A LOT of sense. Hell, you just talking about the hurricane hunters did too. Something I wasn't even thinking of.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:56 pm

Did not read all posts so excuse me if this has been covered. You mentioned expensive train fare. Get a Chase Sapphire card with a good points bonus and transfer points to Amtrak for amazing deals. Google "Ultimate Rewards Amtrak"
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:19 am
Original Poster

That's good to know. I definitely would like to do another train trip again. It's really cool to see different parts of the country, but there's no denying a plane is much much quicker.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

I think we might just rent a car, check in to the hotel, unload, then take the car to the rental place, get a ride to the airport, and then from the airport back to the hotel. Seems the prices to park at the hotel/airport are rather expensive, unless I park far from the airport, which I'm not sure about.
The one disadvantage to the one-way car rental is you'll get hit with a large surcharge of a couple hundred bucks for each one way direction, negating any cost savings you think you'll have.

Cheers.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:37 pm

What a great thread... reminds me of when I started lurking here. No snark, no whine, just a lot of helpful information.

But to the topic at hand, if OP is considering a one way car rental, there is a thread where some discount codes specific for one way rentals is discussed.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Hmmmmmm, might just be better to leave the car at the airport then. How secure is it? I never like leaving a car in a place for a long time simply due to thieves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.