Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[I am EXP and unable to select seats anywhere in the] first 9+ rows of coach

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold

I have several flights in January, many of which have changed, some to different aircraft types, and some of my seats have been changed.

I then noticed that AA has blocked exit row forward seats for EXP, when I was trying to change my seats. And I am re-qualified for EXP for next year.

Looking on Expert Flyer - on all these flights, the seats are almost all empty, with only a few seats occupied in the entire aircraft.

What gives here? I guess I will need to call.

And I have noticed that for late January, my EXP upgrade requests have been cleared.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
The seats are not blocked exclusively for EXP - they are for elites and full fare passengers as well.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

The issue is they are showing unavailable to EXP (meaning I can't choose them). That is what I mean they are blocked from EXP being able to select them. I assume for all elites and full fare passengers as well - meaning - not available to anyone.

Update: Talking to Web services, they accepted changes (which I did not want) and that opened up the seat map.

However, Web support having done that caused my original Elite upgrade requests to cancel. Then transferred to EXP line, and EXP agent was able to restore the original request date for the upgrade.

Last edited by cova; Nov 6, 2014 at 7:32 am
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
AA blocking first 9+ rows of coach for EXP

Is the flight you are looking at being operated by a 738?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Different flights - including 738, 757, 32B. And the new 32B now shows (of course only 16 F seats) - which is the 757 replacement.

Apparently if they accepted the changes, the seat maps open.

Also, while some of the upgrade requests went away on aa.com, they still remained in the main computer, which is what counts. And I am told the upgrade request date would not change.

Apparently several issues - when I was talking to web services, then switched to EXP line, and I had to go over 16 upcoming reservations and make some changes to get more similar times.

Starting in January, there are lots of schedule changes and flight cancellations. Most of my flights impacted were ORD and DFW to SFO and SEA.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
I noticed something similar on the SFO-MIA 767. All the MCE seats in the mini cabin were blocked. I had to call in to get assigned.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
The old thread title was a bit confusing so I've changed it.

~Moderator
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:37 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
I noticed something similar on the SFO-MIA 767. All the MCE seats in the mini cabin were blocked. I had to call in to get assigned.
I called recently and the agent was said they were all assigned even thought EF shows them as blocked. Anybody know why AA is blocking MCE for elites (PLATINUM) to begin with?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seawolf
I called recently and the agent was said they were all assigned even thought EF shows them as blocked. Anybody know why AA is blocking MCE for elites (PLATINUM) to begin with?
Appears to be a new glitch in AA.com. If you have a schedule change, then you cannot choose Elite seating as an EXP. Once an agent accepts the changes for you, then that opens the seat map for you.

Also - not clear what is happening with the Upgrade request. This could be a glitch related to AA making EXP requests automatic. But, for me, flights beginning Jan 24th - the reservation shows NO upgrade requests. Calling AA, they will tell you that the request is in the system.

I was reluctant to go and re-request the upgrades, since I am thinking that the request date could change to the new submit date. So better not to mess with upgrade requests on a reservation that is in place (and upgrades were requested before). You can always call and confirm that your original request date is in the system.

Again - check flights starting in January - as there have been lots of schedule changes, flight cancellations, and new flights at different times. And the system could book you with illegal connect times.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cova
Appears to be a new glitch in AA.com. If you have a schedule change, then you cannot choose Elite seating as an EXP. Once an agent accepts the changes for you, then that opens the seat map for you.

Also - not clear what is happening with the Upgrade request. This could be a glitch related to AA making EXP requests automatic. But, for me, flights beginning Jan 24th - the reservation shows NO upgrade requests. Calling AA, they will tell you that the request is in the system.

I was reluctant to go and re-request the upgrades, since I am thinking that the request date could change to the new submit date. So better not to mess with upgrade requests on a reservation that is in place (and upgrades were requested before). You can always call and confirm that your original request date is in the system.

Again - check flights starting in January - as there have been lots of schedule changes, flight cancellations, and new flights at different times. And the system could book you with illegal connect times.
mmmmmmmm that is interesting. Thanks! Very good information.

But I have a question: if one is to change his/her seat on AA.com, should that has been assumed that the said person had accepted or acknowledged the schedule change?

Just try to be difficult!
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:38 am
Original Member

In my case, it wasn't a schedule change. It was a brand new booking.

And again, ExpertFlyer is showing it as blocked so it doesn't look like it has anything do with the AA.com/schedule changes etc as it is being reported as are blocked in the GDS.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM; Priority Club-Platinum
I have had the same problem with reservations during October and in January. I called the EXP line and they called "the seat desk" to get MCE seats assigned, rather than exit rows.

Also, with aircraft changes just put into effect for January (32B for 738), some seats reverted to regular coach, rather than MCE. I had to check every flight and discovered several errors like this. This time, the seats were not blocked, and I caught the error before others took the aisle MCE seats.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Appears to be a new glitch in AA.com. If you have a schedule change, then you cannot choose Elite seating as an EXP. Once an agent accepts the changes for you, then that opens the seat map for you....
Yes I had that too a few times. A very annoying 'feature'.

Also upgrades won't clear until your acknowledge the changes ... which cannot be done online. AA's web engine is riddled with hidden mysteries of the odd kind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.