Would AA/US price-match each other's flights?

Old Nov 4, 2014, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
Would AA/US price-match each other's flights?

OK, I understand that AA and US have different reservation systems, and often come up with very different fares for the same flight. For example:

12/20
OAK 4:06 PM
PHX 7:03 PM

US 6624 - $322 (on usairways.com)
AA 2662 - $591 (on aa.com)

My question is, can I call AA (PLT desk) and get them to price-match the US fare under an AA flight number? The reason for that is that I have two AA e-vouchers expiring soon, but I haven't been able to use them yet because AA fares always come up a lot more expensive than US fares on the routes I fly. My understanding is that I can only use these vouchers on AA flight numbers. Any suggestions much appreciated.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Not likely.

The Platinum "desk" is a prioritized line to the Platinum/Gold/No Status desk.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Yes, but doesn't answer the question. I've been seeing substantially higher fares on the AA site for US metal for the same city pairs (not routes). For instance, BNA-FLL via CLT is routinely much higher than the same trip via DFW or ORD. I've been curious about price matching, too, since US has much better routings for some of my travel.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
No, you won't be able to get a price match.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 7:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dickinson
No, you won't be able to get a price match.
Agree.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
It is possible that the differences in fares are an artefact of the booking engine and/or inventory ....and a call might let an agent find the same of closer fare on the other carrier.

When I look at published fares OAK-PHX, 12/20 I see many fares on AA & US in lock step...of course that leaves out the issue of inventory/availability

And no, they wont "price match' like Best Buy....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.