Community
Wiki Posts
Search

if I fly mostly TPAC, is AA the wrong airline for me?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

if I fly mostly TPAC, is AA the wrong airline for me?

if I fly mostly TPAC, is AA the wrong airline for me? (usually have to fly US-flagged carrier)

thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Kind of depends. If all you're doing is DFW-NRT for example then AA could be perfect for you. If you're doing a lot of flying to secondary hubs in Asia from SFO then UA could potentially be a better fit.

We would need a little more information to be more helpful. For example to you value economy products, business products, first products, schedules, onboard service, and/or lounges more? Are partner airlines coded as AA flights acceptable? What are your major routings/home base. All of this would help give a better idea as to what is important to you. Welcome to FT btw!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cmd320
Kind of depends. If all you're doing is DFW-NRT for example then AA could be perfect for you. If you're doing a lot of flying to secondary hubs in Asia from SFO then UA could potentially be a better fit.

We would need a little more information to be more helpful. For example to you value economy products, business products, first products, schedules, onboard service, and/or lounges more? Are partner airlines coded as AA flights acceptable? What are your major routings/home base. All of this would help give a better idea as to what is important to you. Welcome to FT btw!
usually to cities not serve by AA metal....
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TENYKS
Do connections in Tokyo to AA-coded flights by JAL work for you? How about via Hong Kong on CX-operated flights? Or do you live in a city with ample non-stops on another carrier (but enjoy being vague)?
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
You still did not answer cmd320 question, what is your home airport and what cities you normally travel to. I know you are UA Platinum, maybe that is the carrier you should be thinking of using, however, with the minimal information you are providing, it is difficult for others to assist.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
*A is generally stronger to Asia than OW is IMO as you have Eva, OZ, UA, NH, SQ and TG as options rather than mostly just AA and JL. UA has more Asia destinations but has been dumping a lot of them off on NH lately. Some people also didn't like the idea of flying a 737 within Asia either.

I'd suggest looking at which cities you travel to the most from where you're at, and who has the easiest access.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: WFBF
If you need to fly a US-flagged carrier TPAC, then honestly DL is probably your best choice since they've been really ramping up their Asia routes. UA and AA both dump Asia connectivity on overseas alliance partners.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
If you need to fly a US-flagged carrier TPAC, then honestly DL is probably your best choice since they've been really ramping up their Asia routes. UA and AA both dump Asia connectivity on overseas alliance partners.
United is the largest U.S. airline trans-Pacific, not Delta.

And based on S15 schedules, AA and DL have the same exact number of non-Japan trans-Pacific routes, with seven daily crossings each.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arollins
You still did not answer cmd320 question, what is your home airport and what cities you normally travel to. I know you are UA Platinum, maybe that is the carrier you should be thinking of using, however, with the minimal information you are providing, it is difficult for others to assist.
wait a sec, how did you know I was UA Platinum?

US cities I usually fly out of: ORD, JFK, DTW, MIA, IAD
Asian cities I usually fly into: ICN, SIN, CGK, TSA, GUM, HKG

Not sure if this matters, but I usually buy one-way coach tickets.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Maybe, maybe not.

If you want nonstop USA metal flights to your predilect destinations, I'd say "no, it's not for you".

For others, AA flights to NRT-HND and alliance members' flights (JL, MH, CX and KA), flights to ICN and HKG, PEK and PVG (and quite likely some China expansion - Doug Parker visited in August and made some very bullish statements) might work.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
wait a sec, how did you know I was UA Platinum?

US cities I usually fly out of: ORD, JFK, DTW, MIA, IAD
Asian cities I usually fly into: ICN, SIN, CGK, TSA, GUM, HKG

Not sure if this matters, but I usually buy one-way coach tickets.
At first glance, this would strongly tip towards United:

- ORD, EWR (instead of JFK) are United hubs on the US side
- JFK has several Star Alliance trans-pac flights options
- ICN, SIN, TSA/TPE, GUM are Star Alliance hub or focus cities on the Asian side
- MIA and IAD are largely irrelevant in this consideration since you have to connect in another US gateway for trans-pac anyway

If most of your flying is ex-ORD or DFW, AA/One World becomes a more viable option but you have to be willing to transit in HKG.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:04 pm

Looking at that city list, I think AA or UA would be sensible.

Question: Are you allowed to book AA codeshares (for instance, a JAL flight with a AA flight number)?

If so, I think AA could be a good choice, as it would let you fly on Cathay or JAL under AA flight numbers
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
If flying business class, AA is better than UA.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by mre5765
If flying business class, AA is better than UA.
Depends, at least until AA's 777 updates are done on more aircraft, I know that I sleep better on UA's actual lie-flat seats and prefer having regular power outlets and not the DC ones. If being refreshed/productive is the priority, I would choose UA's business class.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
I'm an Asian based flyer, CGK, and AA is my choice. Have been very happy with them. Both JL and CX codeshare with AA into Jakarta so getting miles/credit is easy. The only thing that "irks" me is booking the lowest class fare on JL does not allow seat assignments. Further, can usually get very cheap OW business tickets out of BKK or CMB to fly to US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.