New service MIA - FRA in 2015

Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
The 380 is also stunningly ugly. So for someone like me, ^

As a major aircraft enthusiast, I have been on a 380 and seen it, but have successfully avoided flying one thus far. Bleh
Agree 100% on the ugliness however having flown (and showered) in F on Emirates I'll take it over any other aircraft in the sky any day.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
OTOH and off topic, I really like the quietness, spaciousness and accommodations on Qantas' A380 J forward upper deck mini-cabin.

But back to the topic. It has been mentioned that high-value cargo (in one instance, tons of lobsters) might be part of the reason to fly this route.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet
The second daily CLT-LHR is the reallocation of the second daily CLT-FRA flight. This is more the reallocation of the second daily PHL-FRA flight.
What MAH4546 is talking about is the erroneous assertion in other threads by other posters that CLT-FRA will be double-daily next summer simply because a search of the schedule today shows it double-daily next summer. By next summer, CLT-FRA will be once-a-day, not double. MIA-FRA will also be once-a-day.

And yes, the addition of a second daily LHR flight from CLT is the practical substitute for the second daily CLT-FRA flight.

No matter how you slice it, CLT won't have two daily flights to FRA.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Antarius
The 380 is also stunningly ugly. So for someone like me, ^

As a major aircraft enthusiast, I have been on a 380 and seen it, but have successfully avoided flying one thus far. Bleh
Too bad equipment deployments and purchases aren't decided on how ugly the plane is...
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Fanjet
For a European airline, LH has South America pretty well covered. The flights from Germany to Brazil, for example, are about the same stage length as a flight from Germany to MIA. So I'm not sure why someone would want to add on several more hours of travel time (particularly if on business) to connect in MIA. The advantage AA has over LH, is the FF base in MIA, in addition to the numerous connections to the Carribean, Mexico, and Central America.
Miami is functionally a Latin America business center. And, if you are on the financing side of deals, Miami is the place to do the deal. AA is looking for the HVC and this is the guy you want.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by millionmiler
AA has many other advantages in MIA that LH does not.
But LH also has many advantages in FRA that AA does not.

Originally Posted by DWFI
Too bad equipment deployments and purchases aren't decided on how ugly the plane is...
While I agree that the A380 is a hideous object to look at from the outside, once on board the LH product is generally superior.

In order to make this work AA will need to offer at least a 772 or 787. The 767 isn't going to command much premium business and barring the use of a 77W LH should be unaffected in F.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by cmd320
But LH also has many advantages in FRA that AA does not.

While I agree that the A380 is a hideous object to look at from the outside, once on board the LH product is generally superior.

In order to make this work AA will need to offer at least a 772 or 787. The 767 isn't going to command much premium business and barring the use of a 77W LH should be unaffected in F.
I realize that the product is in the process of being replaced, but do you realize that Lufthansa's original A380 product, which is still flying, doesn't even have lie flats in J?
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I realize that the product is in the process of being replaced, but do you realize that Lufthansa's original A380 product, which is still flying, doesn't even have lie flats in J?
I am aware of that shortcoming. In fact, I believe the new AA J hard product on the 777s is better than even the new LH J product being fitted to the 380s. But the difference in brand reputation is a difficult hurdle for AA to overcome in what are realistically two international markets (MIA and FRA).
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320
I am aware of that shortcoming. In fact, I believe the new AA J hard product on the 777s is better than even the new LH J product being fitted to the 380s. But the difference in brand reputation is a difficult hurdle for AA to overcome in what are realistically two international markets (MIA and FRA).
Is it really? *A FF people will fly LH while OW FF people will fly AA. The average consumer will buy on price, timing and number of stops. A small number of people may choose LH based on reputation and aircraft type, but IMO it isn't going to really affect either companies bottom line.

As for aircraft deployments based on looks - I can hope Till then, I just avoid the A319 and A380.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 7:30 pm
Suspended

AA 77D J certainly beats LH refub A380 J in the window section's step-over factor and privacy.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
LH's new business class is a major disappointment. Absolutely no privacy. LH would need to be significantly cheaper for me to choose it over AA's 1-2-1 configuration. Travelling F however would be a whole different story. LH's F product is vastly superior to AA's.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gordon0808
LH's new business class is a major disappointment. Absolutely no privacy. LH would need to be significantly cheaper for me to choose it over AA's 1-2-1 configuration. Travelling F however would be a whole different story. LH's F product is vastly superior to AA's.
Absolutely.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As airberlin is withdrawing Miami-Berlin TXL in May, this will add some oneworld metal via FRA connecting to other German destinations (including Berlin).

(AB is strengthening other US frequencies between DUS and JFK, LAX and ORD.)
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by JDiver
As airberlin is withdrawing Miami-Berlin TXL in May, this will add some oneworld metal via FRA connecting to other German destinations (including Berlin).

(AB is strengthening other US frequencies between DUS and JFK, LAX and ORD.)
And also keep in mind AB is upping MIA-DUS to daily year-round with the withdraw (often would go down to 5w-6w).

I expect AB to re-enter the Miami/LA-Berlin markets with BER opens.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by Leisuremiles
According to an article in today's (10/16) Miami Herald, it is reported that in a Miami meeting yesterday with Doug Parker and the editors of the Miami Herald and other journalists, Doug Parker announced that AA will begin new non-stop service to FRA from MIA in the first half of 2015.

Marilyn Devoe, Vice President (MIA)said that AA has plans to expand further at MIA and that another 7 gates are available in Concourse E.

They also quelled local speculation of a non-stop flight MIA-Asia due to the very limited number of aircraft currently that could make that trip. The much rumored (here at Flyertalk) new route MIA - TLV was apparently not asked about nor volunteered.
I'm pumped about the new gates in E... Flights out of E get to use the Premium Lounge which is waaaayyyyy better than the ACs!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.