Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ANU-MIA international arrival bag claim and recheck when connecting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:38 pm
ANC
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue

Upon arrival at MIA I assume we arrive at D. Since Miami International website claims that flights arriving from Carribean dont go through customs is ANU considerred "carribean" for these purposes? I will be flying ANU-MIA-RDU (claiming bags at RDU) then flying the next day to ORD. Main question is upon checking in at ANU will they be able to check the checked luggage through to RDU or will we have to go through customs, go pick our bags up and recheck it to RDU? AS gold here on an AS award. I have 3.5 hours layover so if everything out of ANU is on time to MIA I have plenty of time. Just curious on any insight. Id rather know ahead of time rather than wandering around like a wounded duck
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ANC
Since Miami International website claims that flights arriving from Carribean dont go through customs is ANU considerred "carribean" for these purposes?
I think you'll want to have a much closer read of that. There are plenty of Caribbean origin airports that lack U.S. CBP preclearance facilities that are not U.S. territories, either. From such airports you'll be arriving as a typical international flight with immigration/luggage/customs routines to be completed at MIA.

http://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/pre...lear-locations
Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:27 pm
ANC
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
ok so basically it will be the same routine as if I was arriving into LAX or LGA from CDG or SYD?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ANC
ok so basically it will be the same routine as if I was arriving into LAX or LGA from CDG or SYD?
Yes, but MIA is "special" - if you do not have Global Entry it can be slow. If you don't have US passport or residence, much slower.

We've moved your question into the proper forum, as AA and US continue to operate as separate airlines for now.

/Moderator
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Has the addition of the self-service passport kiosks sped anything up at the arrivals hall? The aviation department's press releases make it seem like it has, but I take those with a grain of salt.

With 3.5 hours, you should be fine barring any delay. Are you connecting to the last RDU flight of the day?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:58 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
Has the addition of the self-service passport kiosks sped anything up at the arrivals hall? The aviation department's press releases make it seem like it has, but I take those with a grain of salt.

With 3.5 hours, you should be fine barring any delay. Are you connecting to the last RDU flight of the day?
It has improved a lot. Passengers traveling with ESTA are now able to use the Automated kiosks as well. The bottleneck at Customs still remains.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by B7e7US
It has improved a lot. Passengers traveling with ESTA are now able to use the Automated kiosks as well. The bottleneck at Customs still remains.
I have to agree. It is really great that I can clear Immigration in seconds, however the line to get through Customs in MIA is a mess. Are there plans to fix this at MIA?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by B7e7US
Are you sure of this?

I ask because I am planning to transit through MIA twice next Feb/Mar and it would be great to be able to use the koisks
But I cannot see anything on the Miami Airport Site, or on cbp.com allowing ESTA travellers to use the kiosks
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Are you sure of this?

I ask because I am planning to transit through MIA twice next Feb/Mar and it would be great to be able to use the koisks
But I cannot see anything on the Miami Airport Site, or on cbp.com allowing ESTA travellers to use the kiosks
Yes, you can definitely use the new kiosks if travelling with an ESTA. See this post from the BAEC forum for a recent experience of the new kiosks
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by ANC
Not exactly, since LGA doesn't have FIS facilities. But yes, it's the same process as arriving when arriving internationally at any other airport.

Originally Posted by pandaperth
Are you sure of this?

I have used them a couple of times since they were introduced in MIA a couple of months ago. They're great, cuts down the time to mere minutes. Though it recognizes only 1 of my hands/fingerprints, so I have to remember to always choose that one.

Even when you can't use the kiosks (my mother's fingerprints are often not scanable), the lines are rather short now that it's not full of ESTA passengers. Though this may be different if your flight arrives in the early morning together with all the deep South America flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.