Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Cabin wall panels "buckle" on AA 2293 Oct 13

Mechanical problem causes diversion:
http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2014/10/...cabin-buckles/
https://twitter.com/ArthurSimondet/s...463616/photo/1

Last edited by SFOPhD; Oct 13, 2014 at 5:27 pm Reason: added link to photo
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I'm waiting to get more info (like a picture of the outside of the fuselage) before I make a judgement. Could be something serious (like a near- United 811 or Aloha 243), or it could just be that the inner panel came loose (more likely).

Glad everyone's alright.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

757 lost cabin pressure, says FAA:

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...279066061.html

With photos.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 5:46 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by FWAAA
757 lost cabin pressure, says FAA:
Some conflicting info, as SFGate blog says "American Airlines spokesman Matt Miller said an “air duct issue” caused the interior wall panels of the cabin to come loose. There was no depressurization in the cabin, he said."

Still developing...
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Probably no depressurization.

FlightAware track log does not indicate a quick descent to 10,000 feet.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A.../KSFO/tracklog

Also, the on-board picture does not show oxygen masks hanging from the PSU's.

MO
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
The NBC article has been changed:

The Federal Aviation Administration said earlier the plane had lost cabin pressure. Miller said the cabin never lost pressure and "oxygen masks were never deployed."
Old Oct 13, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
AA2293 Comes to SFO Return Today

http://blog.sfgate.com/stew/2014/10/...cabin-buckles/

Please Post in the right Site Thanks
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As required by the FT Rules, the thread title has been amended to reflect the cabin wall panels "buckled", not the cabin.

/Moderator

The NBC article has yet again been amended.

(in part) An American Airlines flight from San Francisco to Dallas had to make an emergency landing at SFO after [hl]panels inside the plane's cabin [hl/]began to come apart in mid-air, the airline confirmed Monday afternoon.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 13, 2014 at 7:11 pm
Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
The Federal Aviation Administration said earlier the plane had lost cabin pressure. Miller said the cabin never lost pressure and "oxygen masks were never deployed."
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Nice. Does it seem to others that the wall gap widens while pictured in the video?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Cabin wall panels are functional and not structural. The first time I saw cabin panel deformation was ona Pan Am 747-200, over thirty years ago. Though alarming in appearance, it poses little life risk to passengers. If it did the flight likely would have squawked emergency, descended to a lower altitude and landed at the nearest airport capable of handling it - RNO or SMF perhaps - and not returned to SFO.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by JDiver
Cabin wall panels are functional and not structural. The first time I saw cabin panel deformation was ona Pan Am 747-200, over thirty years ago. Though alarming in appearance, it poses little life risk to passengers. If it did the flight likely would have squawked emergency, descended to a lower altitude and landed at the nearest airport capable of handling it - RNO or SMF perhaps - and not returned to SFO.
Agreed. While I'm sure this was scary for passengers, it appears to have been not that big a deal, and in fact the pilot initially was inclined not to return to SFO.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by JDiver
But:
"American Flight 2293 depressurized and started coming apart mid air," Wilson wrote. "Please pray for us."
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Understand that cabin wall panels are more of decorative and not part of a structural integrity of an aircraft. But I think it is easy for us to do Monday morning quarterback.

When passengers on board saw panels coming off during the flight, even if passengers did understand that panels have nothing to do with structural integrity of an aircraft, there was no way for passengers on board to know during the flight that was the only thing going on.

Isn't the reason FAA said the aircraft will be inspected before returning to the flight to make sure there was nothing else went on during the flight?

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Oct 14, 2014 at 10:05 am
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:30 am

<redacted> It does serve as a warning though to not necessarily accept communications from passengers as evidence of the facts.

I'd also not rush to assumptions on the flight performance of the aircraft as the cause of the panel deformation doesn't seem to be conclusively verified yet and there may have not been anything at all wrong with what I would consider aircraft performance.

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 14, 2014 at 11:47 am Reason: Removed quote of and reply to deleted post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.