Search

Qantas terminal in LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2003, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Qantas terminal in LAX?

Flying ORD-SYD via LAX on Thursday.

ORD-LAX flight arrives Terminal 4, so I asked the Plat desk which terminal my connecting QF flight to SYD would depart from. After searching for a while, she told me it would also be T4, but was not very convincing.

Can anyone verify that I will be staying in T4? If I do need to switch terminals, is there any way to stay within security? Connection is not too tight, but I'd like to avoid hassles if possible.

Thanks in advance,
Rigmutt

Old Nov 17, 2003, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It will indeed depart from T-4. QF has moved the SYD (and perhaps other) flight to T-4 now that the new Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge have opened. Enjoy.
Old Nov 17, 2003, 5:40 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
SYD and MEL depart from T4 while BNE and AKL depart from TBIT. The good lounges are in T4. Clearing security into TBIT is usually fast so the lack of an airside connection from T4 to TBIT isn't too bad. The walkway from TBIT to T4 is limited to international arrivals (QF planes arriving at TBIT clear INS/customs at T4 now, a great improvement over the TBIT facility).
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
It may have changed by now but when I flew back in August, one of the SYD flights left from T4 and one left from the TBIT. I had been told my flight left from T4 so it was a bit of a scramble when I realized I had to go to the TBIT.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rani:
It may have changed by now but when I flew back in August, one of the SYD flights left from T4 and one left from the TBIT. I had been told my flight left from T4 so it was a bit of a scramble when I realized I had to go to the TBIT. </font>
That was before the new Admirals Club and Flagship Lounge opened. They now depart from T-4.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 12:28 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
All the new signs placed at LAX during the past couple weeks now indicate QANTAS at T4.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 9:40 pm
DCAview

Perhaps this would be best aimed at the Qantas forum, but does anyone know whether QF plans to consolidate departures at T4 and on what timeline?

Old Nov 19, 2003, 7:15 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DCAview:
Perhaps this would be best aimed at the Qantas forum, but does anyone know whether QF plans to consolidate departures at T4 and on what timeline?</font>
The problem is that only 2 gates at T4 are 747 capable -- and QF needs at least 3 and maybe 4. So either change the schedule, or keep using TBIT. At the moment the choice seems to be to stick with using TBIT. My guess is that QF will never have all flights in T4.

Old Nov 19, 2003, 11:45 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by number_6:
SYD and MEL depart from T4 while BNE and AKL depart from TBIT. The good lounges are in T4. Clearing security into TBIT is usually fast so the lack of an airside connection from T4 to TBIT isn't too bad. The walkway from TBIT to T4 is limited to international arrivals (QF planes arriving at TBIT clear INS/customs at T4 now, a great improvement over the TBIT facility).</font>
As of my last flight and QF schedule today only SYD flight depart T4 - MEL, BNE, AKL flight still depart from TBIT...

As for T4 customs - don't get me started. My first interaction was fine, but arriving Nov 9 - they had 3 passport control officers on duty in the morning - unbelievable given the schedule of 3 747s arriving from Aus (approx 800-1000 people) within a short time of each other. The line was immense. The only good thing about it is the separate baggae carousel for J/F/Priority baggage. Unfortunately then everyone was funneled via 2 customs officers checking customs forms which were already checked at passport control. The line weaved twice around the perimetre of the terminal. And then when they check you and mark your form (or send you for Xray where 5 customs officers sit around chatting and don't even bother to help you with the luggage to go on the Xrays) you get into another line for customs which look at the same form and collect it. Unbelievably inefficient - it took us over an hour to get out of the terminal.

[This message has been edited by alect (edited Nov 19, 2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.