Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EXP in 26 segments- which FT'er holds the record?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2003, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

EXP in 26 segments- which FT'er holds the record?

I just hit EXP tonight after my 26th segment of the year. My average for the 26 segments was about 3,860 miles per segment. It got me to wondering who has made EXP in the least amount of segments- perhaps there is someone out there that just does NRT several times a year- I bet they would win.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chfenton:
I just hit EXP tonight after my 26th segment of the year. My average for the 26 segments was about 3,860 miles per segment. It got me to wondering who has made EXP in the least amount of segments- perhaps there is someone out there that just does NRT several times a year- I bet they would win.</font>
I guess it would be the guy that made EXP in Feb or something like that.

Does anybody remember his name?

After a humorous thread he disappeared.

[This message has been edited by andrzej (edited November 11, 2003).]
Old Nov 11, 2003, 9:26 pm

Location: JFK - AA EXP 3MM, BA Gold, AX Centurion, LH Senator
I'm sure you could make EXP in 10 segments (paid F, JFK-NRT). It would pretty much be the most expensive way to make EXP.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 9:33 pm

In 2002 I reached EXP in 28 segments....105,000 miles in only seven round trips (5 AA, 2 CX). I guess the absolute minimum would be half that: 14 segments....five RT's LAX-SYD, and since you need at least four segments on AA something long like two JFK-NRT or two DFW-NRT. Average segment in this scenario would be over 7,000 miles. Ugh! (This is all assuming coach travel, of course)

[This message has been edited by captainstubing (edited November 11, 2003).]
Old Nov 11, 2003, 9:36 pm
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andrzej:
I guess it would be the guy that made EXP in Feb or something like that.

Does anybody remember his name?

After a humorous thread he disappeared.

[This message has been edited by andrzej (edited November 11, 2003).]
</font>
HowellAJohnson I believe.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 10:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LLZ:
HowellAJohnson I believe.</font>
oh yeah, now I remember. someone thought it was Howella in stead of Howell A. most amusing..

probably collapsed after 100k miles in 7 weeks...
Old Nov 11, 2003, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
Paid F on long intnl OW partners and 4 long AA segments gets EXP in much fewer segments. I fly a lot intnlly and my avg intnl segment size is fairly high (4K+) and is usually in A/D.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 11:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LLZ:
HowellAJohnson I believe.</font>
Thanks LLZ

Did a search and pulled up some of the threads. Still funny.....

I do believe you were the first one to call Howell - Howella

Old Nov 11, 2003, 11:50 pm

I thought it was Thurston Howell the Third.

For those up late or interested in completely useless drivel, I hit EXP this year on June 13 with 58 segments. I know, I know, amateur stuff.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 7:37 am

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fredmartens:

For those up late or interested in completely useless drivel, I hit EXP this year on June 13 with 58 segments. I know, I know, amateur stuff.
</font>
Geez...if that's "amateur," then I shudder to think what you'd call my eventual re-qual next month...on 140 segments.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

24 segments of BOS-DFW-NRT and BOS-SJC-TPE took me over 100k. Did it over a course of almost 3 months, so not even close to the record as far as time-to-EXP.
Old Nov 12, 2003, 8:12 am

I did it in 28 last year (my first as EXP), when most of my travel was long-haul. Took me 45 this year, after AA got all of my short-haul business as well. Those really short (you know, 2-3 hours) flights drag down the average!
Old Nov 12, 2003, 8:16 am
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by andrzej:
Thanks LLZ

Did a search and pulled up some of the threads. Still funny.....

I do believe you were the first one to call Howell - Howella

</font>
Yep that was me. It really was an honest mistake...it kind of threw me from a security/privacy point-of-view that someone would use their entire full-name as their username.

Anyhow, I guess Howell didn't find it near as amusing as some others did because we have heard zero/zip/nada from him since then.

As Martin33 suggested perhaps he just collapsed after that...or maybe got on a flight with many, many "magazine rippers" and that threw him over the edge?
Old Nov 12, 2003, 9:59 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SuperSlug:
Geez...if that's "amateur," then I shudder to think what you'd call my eventual re-qual next month...on 140 segments. </font>
I'd call it brutal. You folks are the real hard core flyers...that's a lotta gettin-on-and-off planes. Hats off to you. Jeez, that's a lot of segments, I don't think I have that in the entire 207k flown this year.

Wow, just checked. 148 segments for the whole year...I had no idea it was that many.

[This message has been edited by fredmartens (edited November 12, 2003).]
Old Nov 12, 2003, 11:19 am

I think Howell may have left after the "in flight amenuity kit incident", not the name mistake.

I believe certain FT'ers found it hilarious that Howell actually thought he could get SARS because the amenity kit he received was "made in China" according to the label LOL

Not to mention the resulting "security breach" when someone randomly guessed he was sitting in 11G.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.