Search

LAX-OGG: 757 versus 767

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Starwood Platinum 50 Nights
LAX-OGG: 757 versus 767

All,

For LAX-OGG during the holidays, trying to decide between a 9 AM 767-300 versus a 11 AM 757-200. A few questions:
1) General preference for MCE on the 767 versus 757?
2) Best shot at upgrade?
- 767 has more F seats, but also has better F seats -> will this impact F sales?
- Any impact of the 9 AM (arriving 1 PM) versus the 11 AM (arriving 3 PM) on upgrade probability?

Thanks!

- A5RoadDogg
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
767 for all of those reasons including the earlier flight time.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
How many in your party?

I'd personally go for 767 over 757 even in coach. But if there is a good chance of J, then the 767 strongly wins out over the 757.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:47 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

I flew on an AA 757 JFK to CDG in MCE in Aug and it had to be the oldest metal in the fleet (ashtray in the lavatory). No IFE and the seats were the worst I've ever experienced.

To top things off, several passengers became ill after meal service and one lavatory was closed due to excessive vomit. I spent the last 3 hrs sick myself, much of the time with my 6'6" frame curled up on the lavatory floor.

I would go with the 767.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jlars77
I flew on an AA 757 JFK to CDG in MCE in Aug and it had to be the oldest metal in the fleet (ashtray in the lavatory). No IFE and the seats were the worst I've ever experienced.

To top things off, several passengers became ill after meal service and one lavatory was closed due to excessive vomit. I spent the last 3 hrs sick myself, much of the time with my 6'6" frame curled up on the lavatory floor.

I would go with the 767.
Your 757 was actually among the newest in AAs fleet and was built in 2001-02.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback! I went 767, and snagged two seats in row 11 to boot! Fingers crossed on the upgrade.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Good choice. Nice to be able to take an angle-flat nap, even on a 5 hour flight. Hope you get the upgrade!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
These flights are operated by American Airlines. As American Airlines is still operating as a distinct entity, this question is being moved over to the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled PLEASE READ ME BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:08 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
it had to be the oldest metal in the fleet (ashtray in the lavatory).
Actually it is still a requirement to have an ashtray in the lavatory and even newly delivered aircraft have them. This is so that if a passenger does decide to smoke in the lavatory they have a place to put their used cigarette butt.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:59 am
Formerly known as jlars77

Originally Posted by nux
Actually it is still a requirement to have an ashtray in the lavatory and even newly delivered aircraft have them. This is so that if a passenger does decide to smoke in the lavatory they have a place to put their used cigarette butt.
I guess I've never noticed since this was my first time curled up ill on the floor

I will take the experts' word on the plane age, but with the condition of the seats (atrocious) and lack of IFE this was absolutely the worst cabin I've travelled in.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Microwave
These flights are operated by American Airlines. As American Airlines is still operating as a distinct entity, this question is being moved over to the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled PLEASE READ ME BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Apologies - I actually thought I had posted in the Pre-Merger forum, and was really confused to find it in the Consolidated forum. My apologies, and thanks for correcting!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:42 pm

Yes, the 767 is nicer in all ways. Of course the end of day 757 can be convenient schedule wise.

First in 767 is quite comfortable apart from row 2. And row 11 in coach is also perfectly acceptable, especially for a short flight. Also row 17 is sort of a little cabin by itself.

On the 757, there are some marginal seats in front, namely row 6 on the left. It can be very, very cold. And, really, they're barely entry-level business class, lacking foot rests and only partial recline. On the other hand, row 9 B/C and D/E in coach, and 10 A/F, can be quite nice, meaning good legroom and quiet, at the front of coach.

About the food poisoning reported, well, that's never happened to me yet, fortunately. How did they compensate you?

And sure, 30 F in the 767 suggests better chances of an upgrade that 24 F in the 757.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

I would go with the 767.
For Y, I would think the 757 and 767 have similar IFE. That is, you watch the video screens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.