Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA puts you on BA; BA puts you on AA -why?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
AA puts you on BA; BA puts you on AA -why?

I am trying to book flite to Ireland, and would prefer to fly AA as I can select better seats (AA plat) and the fares are somewhat lower. In trying to book, the AA website routes ALL their longer flights onto BA metal (dfw-lhr or ord-lhr). Ironically, the BA site (more expensive, can't do the seating assignments) routes you on AA (!) on almost all their flights. Pretty ridiculous -- so what don't I understand?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
I've seen this before too. It's annoying particularly with the YQ on BA flights. What I usually end up doing is pricing the flights out on ITA Matrix and calling AA to book. I can usually convince the AAgent to waive the phone booking fee if I can't get the AA website to produce the flights I get from ITA.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:20 pm

If you're using avios, you can fly direct to Ireland on Air Lingus with minimal fuel surcharges.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
AA Platinums can pre-select any seat on BA long haul other than exit rows, and can pre-select anything on short haul. Price being equal, if you're not intending to upgrade and it's the same number of segments, I'm not sure I understand why you'd want to avoid BA.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by Bttc
If you're using avios, you can fly direct to Ireland on Air Lingus with minimal fuel surcharges.
$33.97 in taxes+fees per ticket and 12,500 Avios from BOS.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave
AA Platinums can pre-select any seat on BA long haul other than exit rows, and can pre-select anything on short haul. Price being equal, if you're not intending to upgrade and it's the same number of segments, I'm not sure I understand why you'd want to avoid BA.
But they charge Platinums to change seats now. I just noticed that if I change to a DEF section seat on a 777, it is $27 and $38 for any others (in coach).
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not only that, but ime, since BA only allows those with status / full fare ticket holders to select seats without charge in advance, there is a much better selection of seats to choose from than with AA
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by LookingAhead
But they charge Platinums to change seats now. I just noticed that if I change to a DEF section seat on a 777, it is $27 and $38 for any others (in coach).
Can you provide more information on this? I am AA Plat and have in the last 30 days been able to change seats on a BA 773 and 744 free of charge (not able to select exit row seats on the 744 but I'll live).
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by LookingAhead
I don't think this is accurate at all. Looks like your AAdvantage number is either not entered, or the status isn't updating in BA's system. In any case, not a benefit change that I've ever heard of.

Originally Posted by smilinganddialing
I am AA Plat and have in the last 30 days been able to change seats on a BA 773 and 744 free of charge (not able to select exit row seats on the 744 but I'll live).
This is 100% what both my wife and I have experienced when each of us was Platinum, and what the current state of play on oneworld benefits on BA is.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
I don't think this is accurate at all. Looks like your AAdvantage number is either not entered, or the status isn't updating in BA's system. In any case, not a benefit change that I've ever heard of.

This is 100% what both my wife and I have experienced when each of us was Platinum, and what the current state of play on oneworld benefits on BA is.
I can also confirm that I've been nervously juggling my seat assignments on 4 upcoming BA flights at no charge. I'm an AA PLT. Booked with BA directly using AAdvantage number on reservation.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:02 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Winston3-4
I am trying to book flite to Ireland, and would prefer to fly AA as I can select better seats (AA plat) and the fares are somewhat lower. In trying to book, the AA website routes ALL their longer flights onto BA metal (dfw-lhr or ord-lhr). Ironically, the BA site (more expensive, can't do the seating assignments) routes you on AA (!) on almost all their flights. Pretty ridiculous -- so what don't I understand?
Yes, I find this too rather irritating because you would like to use SWU, but if the price is cheaper with the BA Flight#, this does not help with the use of SWU.
I wonder if this is done on purpose by both parties to make it more difficult to use the different upgrade possibilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.