Wiki Posts
Search

EWR has no elite check in line?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
EWR has no elite check in line?

Haven't flown AA in many years, so a little confused.

At check-in at EWR, there were 2 manned lines, one that said "First Class/Priority Access" and everyone else.

My husband is AA Gold, so we went to the FC/PA line. Agent called us up saying "First Class?" and we said no, Gold. She said "this line is First Class only" and made us go to the end of the regular line. My husband asked "is there an Elite line?" and was told no.

Well, of course, when we got to the front of the line there were no FC's in line, and of course we got the same agent. Processes us (not without another unrelated "issue"), and of course our BP's said "Priority Access".

So at EWR there is no line that takes Golds, Plats, ExPlats at all? You're either flying up front or you're not?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:55 pm
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
The agent was incorrect, from the website...

Priority check-in area
Executive Platinum and Platinum members may check in at any First Class lane regardless of the class of service in which you are traveling on American Airlines
Gold members may check in at any Business Class lane. In airports without Business Class check-in, First Class check-in is available for you
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Great.

Well, it's over now. I just knew it couldn't be right that one whole line was dedicated to the few FC seats only.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
I paid for an anytime fare for my brother so he'd have PRI ACCESS and use of that line. Gate agent at Orlando made him use regular line and eventually missed his flight due to the long lines (ORD). I told him not to worry because he would have access to that line. Needless to say I was quite annoyed.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I'm pretty certain you have Priority Access, so you should have had access to that line. Next time someone asks you if you are first class, just say yes and move on.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

But the agent would have seen that we were not in First, and sent us away, just as she did. This was not a line triage agent, but the actual one behind the desk checking in passengers.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:25 pm

Ah I see, my mistake. They still should have processed Priority Access though. I'd say you send in some communication to AA about this issue so there is better training.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

I think that's a good idea, especially considering the other poster's similar experience. Would this be just through a regular e-mail channel?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:02 pm

There is a section on this form where you're allowed to choose "airport personnel". As for how much effect it will have, well, who knows.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Filled it out and sent it in, I'll let you know if I hear anything back.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
I think both agents are contract and not AA employees
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
The line/queue opening against the wall (to the right side if looking down the TSA cattle shoot) is the priority access line, so if you have the AA credit card that drops "priority access" on the ticket, have elite status, or fly first class. This is the line for you. The other line to closest to the ticket counters is for everyone else.

Now ... that wonderful gal/guy with the red jacket that is near their "supposedly" checking tickets ... is from the airport ... and has extremely limited knowledge .... My usual answer with that is showing them my EXP card and saying "yes" to anything they say ....

However ... that Terminal TSA guards is my least favorite due to the faulty bomb detecting equipment, the sweat box that it turns into summer and sometimes winter .... in fact if I go down instead of up after death .... I can guarantee you that the entrance to hell will look exactly like it ... just without the Admirals club ....

+-ADT

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Haven't flown AA in many years, so a little confused.

At check-in at EWR, there were 2 manned lines, one that said "First Class/Priority Access" and everyone else.

My husband is AA Gold, so we went to the FC/PA line. Agent called us up saying "First Class?" and we said no, Gold. She said "this line is First Class only" and made us go to the end of the regular line. My husband asked "is there an Elite line?" and was told no.

Well, of course, when we got to the front of the line there were no FC's in line, and of course we got the same agent. Processes us (not without another unrelated "issue"), and of course our BP's said "Priority Access".

So at EWR there is no line that takes Golds, Plats, ExPlats at all? You're either flying up front or you're not?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Got a response already:

Thank you for contacting us. As an AAdvantage® elite member, you are among our most valued customers, so it is particularly troubling to hear that you were disappointed by our service. Please accept my apology for your recent inconvenience.

Every day we depend on our people to serve our customers well. We strive to train our employees to be courteous and knowledgeable but our efforts are of little value if we fail to provide professional service. We are deeply disappointed that you did not receive the treatment you deserve when you traveled with us. Please accept our apology.

We have forwarded a copy of your comments to the appropriate management personnel with an eye toward improvement. We are always eager to do a better job in the future.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:15 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Little O/T. There is no PreCheck at EWR? Any priority security lanes?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
Little O/T. There is no PreCheck at EWR? Any priority security lanes?
There's fake PreCheck. You get to keep your shoes on and use the metal detector. Pretty sure it can be accessed by a priority security lane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.