Can I drop the tail end connection of an award

Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I would try again. It looks like you are spending 25,000 miles you shouldn't need to.
I really don't mind, so long as I can fly directly home from DFW. I hate connecting for now reason when there are so at least four direct flights on AA after I land. I would even fly in coach. But seeing there were no savers in coach, I wasn't about to select any anytime coach for 30K, when there are perfectly good Business 25K available.

I just hope being double booked that day doesn't screw me up. The good thing is one is on US Airways and the other on AA. I would imagine when I check in Sydney, I can tell them to only check me in for the SYD - DFW and not tag my luggage through or give me boarding passes. Or I'll have them tag the luggage through on my daughters tickets.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by trekker954
...I just hope being double booked that day doesn't screw me up. The good thing is one is on US Airways and the other on AA. I would imagine when I check in Sydney, I can tell them to only check me in for the SYD - DFW and not tag my luggage through or give me boarding passes. Or I'll have them tag the luggage through on my daughters tickets.
It will screw you up. you cannot do it that way.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
By telling AA that you want to cancel everything after DFW, book another ticket, etc. etc. I think you're making it too difficult and/or confusing the AAgents. It really is a simple phone call that should take no more than 3-4 mins

You: Hi, I have an award ticket, PNR XXXXXX
AA: Yes I see that, how can I help you?
You: I just checked online and there is now a nonstop DFW-MIA available, I'd like to change the last 2 segments to that
AA: No problem, we made the change, you should have an email confirmation shortly

If DFW-MIA is in fact available then there's absolutely no need to waste more miles to book it separate or whatever, and there's no risk of losing your QF seat.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
Don't try to double book.... usually, the system will figure it out and it will cancel one of them. Although given that one is on US and another on AA you might get lucky. Not worth the risk in my opinion. Follow the advice above from JJeffrey, it's solid.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
By telling AA that you want to cancel everything after DFW, book another ticket, etc. etc. I think you're making it too difficult and/or confusing the AAgents. It really is a simple phone call that should take no more than 3-4 mins

You: Hi, I have an award ticket, PNR XXXXXX
AA: Yes I see that, how can I help you?
You: I just checked online and there is now a nonstop DFW-MIA available, I'd like to change the last 2 segments to that
AA: No problem, we made the change, you should have an email confirmation shortly

If DFW-MIA is in fact available then there's absolutely no need to waste more miles to book it separate or whatever, and there's no risk of losing your QF seat.
I agree 100%.

And if after asking that exact question-- or in the minutes after-- the AAgent sounds unsure, impatient or unable, claim your toaster just caught fire, politely ask AAgent to "leave it for now, I'll call back once I double check which flight I need" and call back later.

But, this is -not- as difficult as your call to them would indicate, a competent, helpful and experienced AAgent could knock this out in a few minutes.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I would try again. It looks like you are spending 25,000 miles you shouldn't need to.
I agree.. I am confused about OP saying there was Business Saver availability on the 763. Was there only that and not First? OP has a business class ticket, so that would get him domestic first class on a 2 class plane.
On a 2 class plane, first class would be 25K, which is the amount the OP is stating. A good agent should be able to grab the seats.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Okay, so today I got an agent on the phone and just told her I wanted to stop my flight in DFW from SYD. To please remove the USAir portion DFW-CLT-MIA. At first she said, well just leave it and don't board. I said, look I'm trying to do the right thing and not take up a first class award, besides I will be booking another flight and don't want to risk being doubled booked.

So she checked with someone, fearing I would get charged some fee, but came back and they removed those segments at no cost (which I already knew). I've already got an updated ticket.

Then I went into my on hold DFW-MIA and "purchased" the two DFW-MIA U bookings at 25k a piece. Its says U, not Z. I know there isn't a business section on that aircraft, but they'll figure it out, I have my seats 3 H & J.

Yeah, I shouldn't have had to part with another 25K for my portion, but this is a trip of a lifetime. The only thing better will be if another SYD-DFW U seat shows up for my daughter. The worse scenario is that flight back from SYD is delayed and we can't make the 6 pm. direct flight to MIA. Right now we have a 4 hours layover, so I'm thinking positively.

I appreciate all the support and advice here. Thanks
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by trekker954
Okay, so today I got an agent on the phone and just told her I wanted to stop my flight in DFW from SYD. To please remove the USAir portion DFW-CLT-MIA. At first she said, well just leave it and don't board. I said, look I'm trying to do the right thing and not take up a first class award, besides I will be booking another flight and don't want to risk being doubled booked.

So she checked with someone, fearing I would get charged some fee, but came back and they removed those segments at no cost (which I already knew). I've already got an updated ticket.

Then I went into my on hold DFW-MIA and "purchased" the two DFW-MIA U bookings at 25k a piece. Its says U, not Z. I know there isn't a business section on that aircraft, but they'll figure it out, I have my seats 3 H & J.

Yeah, I shouldn't have had to part with another 25K for my portion, but this is a trip of a lifetime. The only thing better will be if another SYD-DFW U seat shows up for my daughter. The worse scenario is that flight back from SYD is delayed and we can't make the 6 pm. direct flight to MIA. Right now we have a 4 hours layover, so I'm thinking positively.

I appreciate all the support and advice here. Thanks
For 3 hrs in DFW, I suggest getting the AMEX Plat card if you don't have one now, and going to the Centurion Club lounge (or can simply pay $50/pp)
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 4aks
For 3 hrs in DFW, I suggest getting the AMEX Plat card if you don't have one now, and going to the Centurion Club lounge (or can simply pay $50/pp)
I'm an admirals club member since 2008, plus I certainly hope to get my explat status back by the end of the year. I hated dropping to a lonely platinum this year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.