Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO stopover for 12 hours: lounge access and what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2003, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

SFO stopover for 12 hours: lounge access and what to do?

hi everyone

we're flying HKG-SFO-ORD-YYZ on a CX/AA J award (points with AA).

we're coming into SFO around noon and not leaving for ORD until midnight, leaving us with a few hours to explore san fran.

a couple questions:
1. on our tickets, we have first class from SFO-ORD. what does this do for our lounge access?

2. 13 hours on a plane doesn't do much for one's smell. i know in HKG we'll be treated to a shower. any chance of such a similar treat in SFO? are there any other options for just grabbing a shower without having to get a hotel room?

3. any suggestions on how best to see san fran in a couple hours during the last week of november?

thanks for all your help

cheers
ffrxn.

[This message has been edited by fireflyreaction (edited 10-11-2003).]
Old Oct 11, 2003, 4:24 pm
kdp

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
I can only comment on #3-
The BART extension to SFO is recently completed. For around $12 RT, you can ride downtown. A cab will cost app. $34 OW without traffic/tip. Allow one hour minimum each way for the BART journey.

[This message has been edited by kdp (edited 10-11-2003).]
Old Oct 11, 2003, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
First class SFO-ORD does not entitle you to admittance to the Admirals Club, which is the only lounge at SFO. However, I am not sure what flying in a premium class on CX will entitle you to. I'm sure others will chime in to help on this question.

There are no showers in the Admirals Club. However, there are showers in the hair salon located near the entrance to pier G in the international terminal (open Monday-Saturday)

As you have so much time, certainly go in and see the city. BART (rapid transit) departs right from the airport. Get off at the Powell Street station and take a cable car ride. I recommend the Hyde Street Line, right side of the cable car on the outside, for the best views. Fisherman's Wharf is at the end of the line. Round trip will take you about 2 hours plus any time you spend walking around. Get off if you wish at the Chinatown stop and walk around there for a bit, then get on the cable car again.

[This message has been edited by JIMCHI (edited 10-11-2003).]
Old Oct 11, 2003, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the response

[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JIMCHI:
First class SFO-ORD does not entitle you to admittance to the Admirals Club, which is the only lounge at SFO. However, I am not sure what flying in a premium class on CX will entitle you to. I'm sure others will chime in to help on this question.
[QUOTE]

everything i've read on this board seems to indicate that i would have access to the AC because my itenerary is an international flight. also, whenever i've flown through the US on an international ticket, i've been given access to the AC when flying on a J award. however, i do realize some policies have changed. i thought that it was only if you upgraded that you weren't allowed access into the lounge? if you exchanged miles for the ticket, then you are allowed access.

There are no showers in the Admirals Club. However, there are showers in the hair salon located near the entrance to pier G in the international terminal (open Monday-Saturday)</font>
excellent. would i just walk up and ask how much it would be to use the shower alone?

cheers
ffrxn
Old Oct 11, 2003, 6:58 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
It appears that you would also be entitled to Sakura Lounge access, but, again, no shower facilities. There are a number of hotels that would give you a day room, at a reduced rate, so you could shower, change and rest.

Definitely BART is an easy way into the downtown area, but cost depends on how many are traveling with you, as you say "we." BART charges per person could easily exceed the cost, speed and convenience of a taxi or shuttle bus, to downtown.

12 hours would be enough to check in at a hotel, shower, change and walk around downtown or Fisherman's Wharf (very touristy though,) in San Francisco and get
dinner.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rbAA:
There are a number of hotels that would give you a day room, at a reduced rate, so you could shower, change and rest. </font>
thanks any suggestions?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> Definitely BART is an easy way into the downtown area, but cost depends on how many are traveling with you, as you say "we." BART charges per person could easily exceed the cost, speed and convenience of a taxi or shuttle bus, to downtown. </font>
there's just two of us...but maybe if i had a day room, there might be free shuttle service?

cheers
ffrxn
Old Oct 11, 2003, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Yes, they provide just showers if that's what you want. You don't have to have your hair styled !! The cost for a shower (including towels) is $12.

There are no hotels in San Francisco which provide shuttles. All of the hotels at the airport do, but you still need to get to BART to get into the city. The airport is about 15 miles or so south of the city center. There are no hotels on the airport grounds. All airpoort hotels are about a 10-15 minute shuttle ride from the airport terminals.

[This message has been edited by JIMCHI (edited 10-11-2003).]
Old Oct 11, 2003, 9:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
If you are flying CX in J, and if your CX flight is leaving before midnight, then you should be able to use the AAdmirals Club at ORD.

Old Oct 12, 2003, 12:16 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by francophile:
If you are flying CX in J, and if your CX flight is leaving before midnight, then you should be able to use the AAdmirals Club at ORD.</font>
Er, as I read it they are starting in HKG and travelling to SFO then ORD. I am not sure whether you can get domestic AC access on the same day at the end of an international J flight, but since there are apparently no showers at SFO...

I guess going to San Fran is something you want to do, otherwise I would route this through LAX, or even JFK to be (almost) sure of getting new Business Class on CX and showers on arrival.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 12:24 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Generally, you need to call a few to get them. One other easy thing is Priceline a room. Union Sq East 4* or 5* can be had starting around $45, many times the Hyatt or Omni comes up. Check out the bidding results web sites and they should have pleanty of SF winning bids for you to follow.
Old Oct 12, 2003, 8:41 am
Suspended

Can one gain access to SFO Admirals club on an international iternary, I was led to believe the club was termed "domestic only"
or it certainly seemed so based on discussions on another thread.

I did what the poster is asking, about a month ago. Placed my luggage in a locker at the AC and took the BART downtown was a very enjoyable trip, fare $4.70 one way, trip took 20 mins. Then jumped on the cable-car ( terminus is just up the stairs as you exit the Bart station) to the wharf had lunch while looking out at the bay (crab salad in one of those hollowed out sourdough breads) picked up some t-shirts at Crazy Shirts ( IMHO they make the best t-shirts in the world) then by cable-car back to Union Square, walked over to Chinatown picked up some silk fans for my mother-law and then along Market Street to browse the Museum of Asian Art for two hours. Train back to SFO from the Civic center, all the above ( though it sound like a lot) was done in under 8 hours at quite a leisurable pace.
mike

Old Oct 12, 2003, 12:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by christep:
Er, as I read it they are starting in HKG and travelling to SFO then ORD. I am not sure whether you can get domestic AC access on the same day at the end of an international J flight, but since there are apparently no showers at SFO...

I guess going to San Fran is something you want to do, otherwise I would route this through LAX, or even JFK to be (almost) sure of getting new Business Class on CX and showers on arrival.
</font>

ooops... I should have read more carefully.

I thought his itinerary was ORD-SFO-HKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.