Mysterious reason for Gold status

Old Oct 7, 03, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Mysterious reason for Gold status

Sorry if this has been previously posted, but as I happened to open the weekly web specials, I noticed that I am an AAdvantage Gold. Having stepped on an AA plane once in the last 2 years, I am a bit befuddled. Has anyone else noticed random status? My initial thinking is that the ghost of Gordo has been telling me to quit flying CO and take my riff raff rear over to AA. Hmmmmm, JFK-Puerto Rico for the weekend as a Gold might be all I need to completely cut the cord from the uterus of Gordo.
Old Oct 7, 03, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by H53Epilot:
Hmmmmm, JFK-Puerto Rico for the weekend as a Gold might be all I need to completely cut the cord from the uterus of Gordo. </font>
Ughhhh! There's a vision that will that will not soon leave my mind.
Old Oct 7, 03, 8:40 pm
Val

Programs: AA Platinum, 2 Million Miles
While AA frequently comps flyers whose travel patterns match a "business" pattern(unsolicited gold challenge), I would say it is a bit unusual in your case. Pretty neat though.

I havent flown United in 18 months, but would welcome a comp status from them too
Old Oct 7, 03, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA Gold, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Disc, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
American seems to hand out AAdvantage Gold like candy, if I was a person who'd earned Gold legitimently I might be a bit peeved at the people competing with me for upgrades and award seats.

------------------
DC-10's Forever!
Congratulations to the Talkboard winners and thank you to those who voted for me.
Old Oct 7, 03, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 3 Million Miler, HHonors Diamond (old school) Hertz Presidents Circle, CO-MM, now done.
I'm an EXP.

For reasons I'd rather not discuss, I received a new advantage # when TWA was taken over.

Recently, I received a Gold card with my Old Advantage number on it. Same address, zip +4 exact name.

I should give a call and find out what the deal is.
Old Oct 7, 03, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CMK10:
American seems to hand out AAdvantage Gold like candy, if I was a person who'd earned Gold legitimently I might be a bit peeved at the people competing with me for upgrades and award seats.

</font>

Earning Gold isn't really hard to do. Earning Plat and, especially EXP, is a different story. Regardless, this was probably part of a targeted challenge involving limited gold status for the lenght of the challenge.

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Oct 8, 03, 8:42 am

they did the same thing to my wife earlier this year -- one day GOLD just appeared -- however, they took it away some time later -- we could never figure out the whole thing -- if anything, it was confusing because she tried to upgrade one time, thinking she was GOLD, then told she was not anymore

luckily she's making platinum straight up this year
Old Oct 8, 03, 10:03 am

AA has a program that extends Gold status for a short period. It is an incentive for travel and promotes the Gold program. AA, I believe lets you sample the status for three months.
Old Oct 8, 03, 11:26 am

did you reach one milion life time miles? do you have a citibank card?
Old Oct 8, 03, 12:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CMK10:

</font>
Those of us who do 80% of our travel on Eagle/Connection don't really care. Not like any elite benefits matter on those flights... no preboarding, using smaller airports where long lines are a problem, no upgrades to be had.
Old Oct 8, 03, 8:03 pm

xmarkx is right. It happened to me too. I called up when I saw I had gold status and they told me if I fly two times during the next three months I get to keep gold. I'm only flying once......but trying to use the free upgrades they give you with the temporary gold status.
Old Oct 8, 03, 8:47 pm

This promo is what brought me to AA from UA. I received comp Gold status twice. I was not traveling much during the first time. The second time I took a challenge and now I am Platinum
Old Oct 10, 03, 10:43 am

Hi: Thought I'd chime in, since I've never written before. Gold also just appeared for me back in June. When I called Aadvantage CS, I was told I had been put on a Gold challenge giving me temporary Gold privileges, which I would keep if I met the challenge. Much to the first agent's surprise (and every agent I've spoken to since then) I was on a simultaneous Platinum challenge. They said it was probably a marketing decision based on my travel patterns.

If it was meant to encourage loyalty to AA, then it worked. Previously I flew DL, CO and AA. Now it is just AA. It did not hurt that AA had most convenient scheduling for me out of LGA and that first DL and now CO are actively trying to discourage my regular business (I can't say the fares my clients and I pay are cheap, but they are not and never will be full fare, unless you know they've got me over a barrel.) Anyway, I proceeded to make Gold anyway based on 25k miles flown, and just today "Platinum" appeared on my page at AA.com.

Until AA makes me really unhappy someday (over the past 30 years almost every airline, living or dead, has managed that at one point or another) I'm reasonably content.

Insofar as anything like "Gold" appearing on your statement: I'd get an immediate explanation from customer service to figure out what it means and what you have to do to keep it. Call a few times, because you will often get different answers. Good luck

------------------
Old Oct 10, 03, 11:35 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
Earning Gold isn't really hard to do. Earning Plat and, especially EXP, is a different story.</font>
How do you figure? Earning any type of status with any airline isn't difficult at all -- it merely involved sitting on an airplane for many hours; having the resources (job, time, money and/or upgrades) is the real challenge.

[This message has been edited by IndustrialPatent (edited 10-10-2003).]
Old Oct 10, 03, 11:51 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Steve B:
but trying to use the free upgrades they give you with the temporary gold status. </font>
I never received any free upgrades with my temp gold status!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: