Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why the Difference in Fares (AA vs DL)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Why the Difference in Fares (AA vs DL)

I am looking at First Class r/t fares from DFW to SAV in October. DL is $797; UA is $871; and US is $1062 while AA is $2537. Really? Would any sane person fly that route for over $2500? Yes, AA has the only non-stop, but that should make it cheaper, not more. AA is flying RJ-145s while DL is flying mainline (via ATL). Also, why is US one-half the AA fare (via Charlotte)? The only reason I can come up with is that AA revenue management folks feel that can fill up the smaller plane at such ridiculous fares.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Nonstops on thin routes with no competition are typically expensive
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Nonstops on thin routes with no competition are typically expensive
I guess you are right, but only the upper 1% (including, I guess, Gulfstream executives going home) would be able to pay such fares. I understand expensive, but over three time more? Almost seems like AA wants an excuse to cut that non-stop.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by relangford
... The only reason I can come up with is that AA revenue management folks feel that can fill up the smaller plane at such ridiculous fares.
Maybe they can and do fill the aircraft - if it exists!

Looking at the first week of October I can only see Embraer 145's on the direct flights (3 e/w per day).

I don't believe ER4's have First Class?

Last edited by serfty; Sep 10, 2014 at 9:55 pm
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:51 pm
Suspended

I found these AA (and one world anomalies) a lot when booking flights to Europe over the summer (but in Y).

I got around it by booking via third party websites (hipmunk, kayak etc.)
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
They most likely all have a matching fare structure. Given the size of the RJ F cabin, there may only be one or two discounted seats (or none until seats don't sell). However, AA does not want to release very many discounted F seats on a hop like that because they can lose a long haul international premium pax over it. If they sell you that hop at say, the $797 fare, they can't sell an F or J ticket SAV/NRT without the RJ segment being in Y. High value flyer will go to another airline.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
It looks like the nonstop is ER4s with no first class. The $2500 fare you're seeing is for a routing via PHL or CLT on planes with F ($2537 in P class, an instant upgrade fare, although there's no way to tell that without reading the detailed fare rules!). Even the $3100 fare is also a P class instant upgrade fare. Sounds like AA doesn't bother to file a competitive F fare on an indirect routing when they offer a nonstop option, even coach-only. Doesn't seem crazy to me.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
They most likely all have a matching fare structure. Given the size of the RJ F cabin, there may only be one or two discounted seats (or none until seats don't sell). However, AA does not want to release very many discounted F seats on a hop like that because they can lose a long haul international premium pax over it. If they sell you that hop at say, the $797 fare, they can't sell an F or J ticket SAV/NRT without the RJ segment being in Y. High value flyer will go to another airline.
The fare is $2500 round trip on flights that show F7P7 (which is every flight). Looks like they have a N-up fare for $2500 round trip and a G-up fare for $3100.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by relangford
Yes, AA has the only non-stop, but that should make it cheaper, not more.
Seriously, does that reflect your state of understanding of U.S. airline pricing, or are you just trying to be argumentative here?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by ashill
It looks like the nonstop is ER4s with no first class. ...
I looked through all of October and all AA's direct flights are operated by ER4 - so no non stop first class service.

Last edited by serfty; Sep 10, 2014 at 10:49 pm
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

are you just trying to be argumentative here?
Not at all. I am just upset that the airline I want to fly (AA) has priced themselves out of my business. I know that flights to smaller airports are high, but this just seemed too much (3x DL and almost 3X UA and 2X US). I need to make EXP again this year (lost it last year down to PLAT), so I wanted to use AA, not DL. Yes, the F service is connection, but so is DL, UA, and US.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, Global Entry
I've also noticed prices increasing out of TUS for the holidays. I paid $1,000 less for F last year to BDL. I'm like whhhaat. But luckily I can fly US for a more reasonable price and still earn AA miles... but DL is $500 less on that route. What gives AA?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I've always noticed that AA charges a premium over other carriers on many routes. Usually a smaller one in Y and a bit more in F. In the past, I would have paid and did pay the premium to fly on AA (maybe not the ridiculous amount the OP is talking about) but now I see AA offering little value if any over its competition.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:27 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Originally Posted by cmd320
I've always noticed that AA charges a premium over other carriers on many routes. Usually a smaller one in Y and a bit more in F. In the past, I would have paid and did pay the premium to fly on AA (maybe not the ridiculous amount the OP is talking about) but now I see AA offering little value if any over its competition.
They lost me when they scrapped the Oneworld rewards. Flew DL last weekend for cheaper and the flights were fine. It was liberating to no longer be a slAAve to AAdvantage miles since to me they are worth so much less without the Oneworld reward option.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:07 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I've looked at LAX-HNL where AAs FC fares are often twice as much as Delta's. And delta has the lie flat seats on some flights.
Also LAX-JFK in y. AAs fares months out are 50-100% higher than Delta's . I don't understand it either.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Sometimes I struggle to find the rhyme or reason why things are priced the way they are. On an upcoming trip, UA/DL wanted just under $700 for BWI-SMF and offered much better routings than AA/US that wanted $1100 for the same ticket.

Makes no sense why that it. It just is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.