Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Policy on Dogs in Main Cabin. Who To Write To?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines Policy on Dogs in Main Cabin. Who To Write To?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:45 pm

However....they should have made more of an effort to move you since you have allergies even if it meant offering someone miles or a voucher to switch seats with you.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldcorrado
However....they should have made more of an effort to move you since you have allergies even if it meant offering someone miles or a voucher to switch seats with you.
Airlines are under no obligation to offer money, miles, vouchers or any other payment to motivate passengers to switch seats to accommodate allergic passengers.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Since you were sitting next to this person for a flight that was long enough for your allergies to trigger, why didn't you ask him? Maybe it would have raised your awareness instead of your anger.
What good would raising his awareness have done? If he's allergic, he's allergic.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Airlines are under no obligation to offer money, miles, vouchers or any other payment to motivate passengers to switch seats to accommodate allergic passengers.
Possibly, but it sounded like the OP had an issue with encroachment and that is a valid complaint, and AA has guidelines on this.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
Theres a difference between what airlines 'have to do' and just plain and simple good, cheap PR.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat
In addition to assisting the blind, providing emotional support and companion to psychological conditions; Dogs are now trained to smell either spikes or drops in blood sugar to diabetics, alert when a seizure is coming on and a number of other amazing things.
Did the person look like a diabetic? No.....diabetics don't look any different.
Did the person look like an epileptic? No......epileptics don't look any different.
Since you were sitting next to this person for a flight that was long enough for your allergies to trigger, why didn't you ask him? Maybe it would have raised your awareness instead of your anger.
My son has High functioning autism and I would love to have had our golden retriever trained as a companion dog and bring him places but my husband wouldn't let me because he didn't want to deal with people who didn't understand's reactions.
All irrelevant to the discussion. The main issue is that this dog was too large for the cabin, and took up adjacent passenger's space.

I would not have allowed this situation and I'm surprised that the OP did. It is never appropriate for any part of someone's animal to be in my seat/foot space. The animal simply should not fly if it cannot fit within the space allotted to its owner.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
The system is being abused, and will ruin it for those with true needs. Simple as that.
This.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
What good would raising his awareness have done? If he's allergic, he's allergic.
The emphasis on awareness here is that there are several commenters on this thread who sound like they would be more satisified if they saw a "traditional-looking disabled person" (whatever that means) with an animal than a seemingly able-bodied person who they would suspect was faking.

As noted, not every disability that might involve having an animal with is visible (PTSD, etc.).
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
The emphasis on awareness here is that there are several commenters on this thread who sound like they would be more satisified if they saw a "traditional-looking disabled person" (whatever that means) with an animal than a seemingly able-bodied person who they would suspect was faking.

As noted, not every disability that might involve having an animal with is visible (PTSD, etc.).
As the OP, the fundamental issue is that:

1) This was not a trained service animal and behaved extremely badly throughout the flight. Service animals are trained to handle stress.

2) The animal was scared and continually was hiding under my legs, kicking when there was a bump in the flight and generally invading my space.

The point is that owner was in his 20's and this was clearly a pet not a service animal.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by inpd
The point is that owner was in his 20's and this was clearly a pet not a service animal.
So what? If it wasn't a service animal, then it was an emotional support animal. Careful readers of this thread (and all others like it, since it comes up every several weeks) would see that the terms "service animal" and "emotional support animal" are terms of art. Emotional Support Animals ARE PETS. And that's OK.

Your post above makes me think you may not have read the responses in this thread. And I'm not talking about the "Emotional Support Animals are BS and shouldn't be allowed" posts.

"Service Animals" assist the blind, deaf and other disabled passengers; the animal helps their handler compensate for and overcome their disability so they can travel.

"Emotional Support Animals" assist those with emotional or mental disabilities and help their handlers overcome their problems, so they can travel.

Both classes of animals get to travel for free at their handlers' feet. That's the law.

Yes, the one you encountered wasn't the best trained or the best behaved. So write to AA and complain if you want. Your complaint won't make a bit of difference. The law requires that airlines permit service animals and emotional support animals. Even without the law, airlines might permit them.

I'm curious: What does his age have to do with anything? So he's in his 20's. So what? Emotional support animals can serve passengers of any age, from young child to decrepit old senior citizen and any age between those.

Bottom line: if the dog was a problem for you, then you should have spoken up before the door closed.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:26 am

So what? If it wasn't a service animal, then it was an emotional support animal.
Or neither of the above
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The law requires that airlines permit service animals and emotional support animals.
It does not however require adjacent passengers to give up the space they have paid for, to accommodate them ...

I am truly sorry for those few people who have a genuine need for an emotional support animal because the huge numbers of people fraudulently misrepresenting their pets as 'emotional support' animals just to avoid paying the fees and putting them in kennels are spoiling this for those with real need.

Last edited by Mark_T; Sep 10, 2014 at 4:20 pm
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:29 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If the dog encroaches on another pax space (whether emotional support or just a pet), wouldn't it be reasonable to have them (dog + owner) purchase two seats--then no one would be inconvenienced (except for the dog owners wallet)? [The dog might even make exp, if he took enough of these trips and had miles credit to his acct.]
PS: On the Swiss railroads, tickets are "impersonal", dogs are allowed to ride, but must pay (free if carried in a basket or carrier).
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
[deleted]
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by nrr
The dog might even make exp, if he took enough of these trips and had miles credit to his acct.
I tried that. Doesn't work:
Only individual persons are eligible for AAdvantage program membership. Corporations, other entities, animals or blocked-seat baggage are not eligible to become AAdvantage members or to accrue AAdvantage miles - from the Aadvantage T&Cs.

With a EU pet passport, which has nationalities and unique identifying numbers which can be used for secure flight data etc., you might even get away with it until the account gets audited

In Europe, most countries' public transport systems make you pay child fare for pets that aren't small and in a carrier (unlike in the US where you can't take animals on Amtrak or Greyhound or any city transit system, you can actually bring pets onboard public transport networks in most EU countries). On the French TGV, I actually book the dog as a child and reserve a seat for her. This way, I ensure there's enough space and we won't encroach on anyone. In Germany and Switzerland, you can get half-price fare passes and the like for animals.

Last edited by bhomburg; Sep 10, 2014 at 5:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.