Wiki Posts
Search

Turn off the lights! [Why are overhead lights left on?]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: National ES

Why is it standard op not to turn off the overhead lights?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by jakeflynwa
Which airline? I can't recall the last time I noticed lights left on during a US flight (other than in the galleys).
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: National ES
American, S80 flights more specifically. I've noticed even if its early or late, they dim but do not turn off the overhead fluorescent lights. I guess I will have to start bringing eyeshades. I hope this practice doesn't bleed over to the US side.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
American, S80 flights more specifically.
As American Airlines is still operating as a distinct entity, this question is being moved over to the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled PLEASE READ ME BEFORE POSTING! Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum!. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

I've also updated the thread's title to more accurately reflect its contents.

~Moderator
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it is not an overnight flight, it seems resonable to provide lighting in the cabin
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:33 am

Lights should be off for takeoff and landing, and on for the safety demo and beverage/meal service when it's dark outside. During the day it doesn't make too much difference.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:16 am

On the S80? Probably afraid that if they turn them off, they won't ever come back on again. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I actually love that plane.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by arlflyer
On the S80? Probably afraid that if they turn them off, they won't ever come back on again. Sorry, couldn't help myself. I actually love that plane.
We always hurt the one we love.

(We always hurt the one we love, even though we know what is coming.)

What exactly is the "issue" here?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
We always hurt the one we love.

(We always hurt the one we love, even though we know what is coming.)

What exactly is the "issue" here?
I'm waiting for someone to start a "Turn On the Lights!" thread wondering why overhead lights are left off.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
Leave the shades open!

Originally Posted by LAXative
I'm waiting for someone to start a "Turn On the Lights!" thread wondering why overhead lights are left off.
I'll bite - kind of... Why is it the new normal for people to close the shades automatically? I get that sometimes this is done on the tarmac to help keep things cool. But over the past year, I am noticing more and more frequently that I am flying in broad daylight sitting in a little metal tube with all the windows closed. Does no one like to look out any more? I suspect it has to do with the proliferation of electronic screens people are watching. be forewarned if your sitting next to me. I picked the window because I want to look out - that puppy is staying open.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
By the way- you might find this thread of interest:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...t-flights.html
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
not sure about other people, but I was born with lids on my eyes that I can close to block out light and vision.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by brobab
I'll bite - kind of... Why is it the new normal for people to close the shades automatically? I get that sometimes this is done on the tarmac to help keep things cool. But over the past year, I am noticing more and more frequently that I am flying in broad daylight sitting in a little metal tube with all the windows closed. Does no one like to look out any more? I suspect it has to do with the proliferation of electronic screens people are watching. be forewarned if your sitting next to me. I picked the window because I want to look out - that puppy is staying open.
Indeed me 2; recently on a UA flight from LHR-EWR, the window shades by my seat were the only one in 1st class that stayed open despite the FA twice trying to "helpfully" close them for me

If the shades were all open, then there would be lower requirement for lighting in the cabin
Old Sep 7, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by brobab
This is my pet peeve too. Last week on the PER-HKG day flight (0700 departure, 1500 arrival, no time zone change), a CX FA reached across me and closed my window shades, without asking me or even telling me. HATE that.

I don't know if it's a company-wide policy or if I just got lucky, but on a recent AY flight HEL-JFK, all the shades stayed up and the lights stayed on. Crew made no effort to impose darkness. It felt just like daytime - which it was. ^
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
This is my pet peeve too. Last week on the PER-HKG day flight (0700 departure, 1500 arrival, no time zone change), a CX FA reached across me and closed my window shades, without asking me or even telling me. HATE that.

I don't know if it's a company-wide policy or if I just got lucky, but on a recent AY flight HEL-JFK, all the shades stayed up and the lights stayed on. Crew made no effort to impose darkness. It felt just like daytime - which it was. ^
It's a fleeting moment of hatred, though, lasting only the 330 msec of time that it takes me to reopen the window shade.

Seeing daylight helps keep my clock set as well as just being plain enjoyable to watch the view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.