Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens to your AA award if SWISS were to cease ops?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2003, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
What happens to your AA award if SWISS were to cease ops?

Looking for advice from the forum...

Situation: Managed to reserve 2 business class award tickets from BOS to BOM on SWISS through AA for the standard mileage (135,000 x 2) for travel Nov 21 - Dec 28. Need to ticket the held reservation in 2 weeks.

Question: From my reading of the SWISS forum, it looks like they are in a bit of a jam right now and there is the possibility of the Swissair saga repeating itself right around the time I'm traveling. Therefore, given that there are simply no award tickets available for those dates on the only other Oneworld carrier (BA) that serves this market:

a) What can one expect from AA if SWISS ceases/cancels service?
b) Is there any risk of being stranded?
c) Is SWISS business worth the miles (as opposed to other Oneworld business - BA/CX)?
Old Sep 1, 2003, 9:35 am

I had the same situation... due to a combination of situations including Swissair going belly-up.. and 9-11 ..... They offered me a redeposit of the miles in my account if I sent the Ticket back to the customer service (Oklahoma City or Tulsa... can't remember).

The kicker was that I lost the ticket. And basically lost the miles... there was no sympathy once I lost the paper ticket..... So as long as you hang on to that, you might be out of a trip, but at least you'll likely get your miles back.

Who knows, maybee they will rebook you on BA or something?
Old Sep 1, 2003, 9:36 am

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
This pretty much happened to me two years ago with the predecessor Swiss on a codeshare trip to Berlin. American Airlines called me up and offered me several flight options and kept the airfare intact.

I took the option through London with British Airways.... Worked out great.

Right now I have a comparable concern again as I have February Reservations into Venice and out of Rome in February.

------------------
AA member since 1981. Oracle Implementations .... Will Travel....
Old Sep 1, 2003, 11:07 am

Don't worry, BA and SWISS are in talks of a major agreement which includes SWISS joining oneworld.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tekelberry:
Don't worry, BA and SWISS are in talks of a major agreement which includes SWISS joining oneworld.</font>
Well I have read BA/SWISS and LH/SWISS - but there's no agreement in place; not even an MOU. Meanwhile, reading the SWISS board seems to suggest that they will be in a cash crunch by the time November rolls around.

Old Sep 8, 2003, 9:46 am

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
The BA codeshares were just announced yesterday starting 9/21. Worst case would be American transferring you over to BA to complete your trip if Swiss was unable to complete the trip.

My concern is the cities not covered by the current AA/BA codeshare agreements such as Venice, which is where I will be traveling to in February.

------------------
AA member since 1981. Oracle Implementations .... Will Travel....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.