Search

Power Inverter Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2003, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Power Inverter Question

Howdy,

I frequently use an APC Power Inverter to power my laptop, son's GameBoy and cell phones. I thought everything was working smashingly.

However, on my last 4 flights on 757's ORD-SJU I have noticed while the green status light on the inverter and the green status light on the laptop's power adapter stay on steady green (although the laptops power adapter stays green for a second or two after I have unplugged it - so these may not be an indication of steady power supply). Anyway - my laptop screen dims when I am running on batteries and when using my inverter, the screens now flashes constantly. Indicating to me that I am getting constant interruptions in my powersupply. Also, the battery does not appear to charge well.

On to the questions:

1. Has anyone else experienced "flickering" or "intermittent" power supply on this aircraft?

2. Would anyone have any advice? (I'm thinking about a UPS, but would need a very small, lightweight one - as I'd like to keep my load as light as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Keep the faith,

Pakse
Old Aug 24, 2003, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
Se HK's comments in this post...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum71/HTML/008410.html
Old Aug 24, 2003, 2:58 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pakse:

2. Would anyone have any advice? (I'm thinking about a UPS, but would need a very small, lightweight one - as I'd like to keep my load as light as possible.

</font>
a UPS on top of an inverter on top of the powerport does not sound like a load-minimizing plan.

with all those devices you are a good candidate for the iGo Juice which combines AC,DC,laptop, and cell phone all in one adapter. $95 plus $15 for the cell phone bit at amazon or buy.com

Old Aug 24, 2003, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pakse:
Howdy,

However, on my last 4 flights on 757's ORD-SJU I have noticed while the green status light on the inverter and the green status light on the laptop's power adapter stay on steady green (although the laptops power adapter stays green for a second or two after I have unplugged it - so these may not be an indication of steady power supply). Anyway - my laptop screen dims when I am running on batteries and when using my inverter, the screens now flashes constantly. Indicating to me that I am getting constant interruptions in my powersupply. Also, the battery does not appear to charge well.

On to the questions:

1. Has anyone else experienced "flickering" or "intermittent" power supply on this aircraft?

Thanks in advance.

Keep the faith,

Pakse
</font>
I used to use an APC 75W inverter ( as is yours) and found the laptop (Acer Centrino) used more than 75W so the power kept going down and the screen would flash. Especially when charging and in use the 75W just is not enough.

I switched to the APC Travelpowercase and ditched the case part but the adapter inside is a gem - input is airplane 15V, or car 12-13.8 V or house 120 V or overseas 240V, through one common input wire.

Output voltage is dialed in on th top - in my case 19V, in a Dell, it wold be 20V, and they supply about 8 adapters including the Dell thing for the laptop.

No more blinkys AND I travel with JUST this now - switch the plug end at the hotel, it uses AC 120 , get on a plane with Empower ports use the Empower adapter, in a plane on AA with cigar lighter ports, use the cigar lighter end, all pop on or off the input wire.

Switch to another laptop, need 15V? Switch to 15V. Up to 20V.

It also has USB charging port - e.g. there are USB style ports that you buy cell phone or PDA specific cables for and you can charge the PC, cell and PDA all at one time.

One size does fit all. The case is adequate but I could only get the faux leather one but the cordura one looks better and holds more.

Old Aug 25, 2003, 12:06 pm
RJC

I've taken the minimalist approach by using a cigarette lighter adapter for my laptop and then using USB adapters for everything else: cellphone, pda, etc. The cigarette lighter adapter is actually smaller than my laptop's ac adapter, so it's not burdensome. This combo works as well in the rental car when I've been unable to be plugged in.

As an aside, why would you use the power inverter for air travel? It seems to me that the extra bulk would outweigh the cost savings of another adapter. I can see where you would be indifferent in the car, but in the carry-on?

Rick Colosimo
Old Aug 25, 2003, 1:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by martin33:
a UPS on top of an inverter on top of the powerport does not sound like a load-minimizing plan.

with all those devices you are a good candidate for the iGo Juice which combines AC,DC,laptop, and cell phone all in one adapter. $95 plus $15 for the cell phone bit at amazon or buy.com
</font>
It most certainly would not be load minimizing and it might be unsafe as well. UPS's are designed to be used with your wall outlet and a true sinusoidal output from that. The output from a DC-AC inverter (UPS's included) is actually a high frequency square wave with a duty cycle that imitates a sinusoid. The the square wave tricks many surge protectors into shunting off what it thinks are overvoltage spikes. Potentially this can damage your conversion equipment.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 8:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RJC:
I've taken the minimalist approach by using a cigarette lighter adapter for my laptop
Rick Colosimo
</font>
I also use a cigarette lighter adapter for in the car, but the connections in planes are different? How do you plug this into your seat? Do you have an adaptor? If so, where did you get it, and any idea what the name of this adaptor is? The Targus adaptors are $100+ USD, while my cigarette adaptor cost me $29 CAD at Canadian Tire so would rather not fork out the cash.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 9:25 pm

sadly, power converters like the IGO are big, and very heavy.

I like this new one from targus.
http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...?sku=PAPWR300U

It's only 11oz, quite small, and it replaces your laptop AC adaptor & cell phone charger!
This device plugs into a wall socket, car, airplane seat, without having to have your laptop AC adaptor with you at all.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 10:54 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by benoit:
sadly, power converters like the IGO are big, and very heavy.

I like this new one from targus.
http://www.targus.com/us/product_det...?sku=PAPWR300U

It's only 11oz, quite small, and it replaces your laptop AC adaptor & cell phone charger!
This device plugs into a wall socket, car, airplane seat, without having to have your laptop AC adaptor with you at all.
</font>
I think you need to update your product data; the iGo juice is only 7.5 oz, and allows for simultaneous two-device charging...

see http://www.igo.com/mapfiles/juice.asp
Old Sep 2, 2003, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Howdy,

Thanks much for the advice. My laptop does indeed use 20 volts at 4.5 amps which works out to 90 watts; and my APC inverter is rated at 75 watts.

I also had an inverter for my wife's truck, it is rated at 400 watts. So I'm going to try that today - see if it helps (it should).

I'll let ya'll know if that solves my problem and if so - most likely I'll end up with the iGo product.

Thanks again,

Bart
Old Sep 2, 2003, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm
Pakse,

My wife has a DELL laptop that draws more than the 75 watts that the APC can put out.
She wanted a 100watt inverter, but I talked her out of it.

100 or 400 watts is a big inverter. PLEASE make sure that it is made for airplanes.

Those things can get hot and start fires.

There are very big inverters available (some big ones for RVs), but I would never use them on an aircraft.

PLEASE be careful!

Old Sep 2, 2003, 5:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jerryss:
100 or 400 watts is a big inverter.
</font>
I was just thinking that-- going to challenge the limits of "carry-on" luggage... at that size it's really more "lug-it-on".
Old Sep 2, 2003, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Howdy,

Actually it's not all that large, about 6" x 6" x 3". Also, I'm assuming that it's draw is based upon what it's plugged into? I didn't get a chance to use it today (no powerport - so I napped on the way down).

I will be careful, and let ya'll know how it works (keep it in my lap the first few times I use it - so I'll know if it gets hot).

Keep the faith,

Pakse
Old Sep 2, 2003, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA 3MM
I'm conscious of carry on loads, so I'll stick to my Targus adapter thanks, takes up virtually no space (way smaller than the regular laptop AC adapter)....$80 well spent.

Nothing like watching your own DVDs on a 15" laptop screen when stuck on a long haul 777 with the terrible 10 channel IFE
Old Sep 2, 2003, 9:28 pm

Location: Austin TX, AA Platinum for life (who will live longer, me or AAdvantage?)
does anyone know if an emachines laptop will work with any power coverters? I used to have a VAIO and recently got the Emachines. the back of the machine says "18.5V DC === 4.9A". Can't find a powertip to work with my Targus so far, and Targus and Emachines can't help me with a tip.

Any advice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.