Earning EXP with Points

Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Earning EXP with Points

Searched without success. I am thinking of earning EXP with points rather than miles in 2015. How easy is it to purchase a ticket worthy of 1.5 points per mile vs a cheaper ticket? Obviously I want to buy the least expensive ticket worthy of 1.5 points per mile.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've qualified on points before. Usually least expensive fares to earn you 1.5 points per mile are premium eocnomy fares...
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Would be helpful to know where OP travels. As noted PEY fares on CX can be effective to generate high point totals.For instance LAX-HKG-MEL RT is about 23,700 miles and 34,550 points.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Many times the 1.5 point economy fares (Y and B only) are on par or only slightly cheaper than front cabin I (business) or A/P (first) fares.

1.5 points means you need to fly 66,666 miles. That means a couple trips to Asia or a few more to Europe. Creative searches can get you there quite easily.

The reason I bring that up is - 66,666 miles is a lot in coach. It might be more comfortable in the front cabin.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
I live in Seattle and am able to travel anywhere, assuming I can earn a good number of points. Mileage run or short vacation, makes no diference.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 12:56 am

Programs: BA - Blue
As stated by others, premium economy on a OW partner, e.g. BA/ CX is usually the cheapest way to get 1.5 EQP/EQM, and far cheaper than getting Y/B fares on AA.

I usually qualify for EXP on points, although because I do fly on AA (paid Y cabin, but not Y/B fares) aswell, I tend to fly between 75k to 85k miles per year.

tb
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by AAExpDFW
It might be more comfortable in the front cabin.
Might??

Depending on your cash situation, you can also do this with a nice AONE4-6 ticket. As shown in other threads, you can get these to over 60K BIS miles.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 4:32 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I concur with that. A DONE4/5 (business class. They also earn 1.5 EQP on AA) oneworld RTW ticket is the most comfortable and price-optimized way to qualify for EXP on points. Plus, you get to see the world as you travel in comfort for relatively affordable prices. See the relevant threads in the oneworld forum for examples and details.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by bhomburg
See the relevant threads in the oneworld forum for examples and details.
This one has examples - overall 50k-55k miles is fairly easy, pushing it up to 60k+ harder, 66k+ is near the limit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.