34min connection in DFW, & 42min in BWI?

Old Aug 26, 03, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, NW Silver
34min connection in DFW, & 42min in BWI?

Hi to all! This is my first post here, so forgive me if I'm doing something wrong..

Here's the problem: I'm doing a sort of a mileage run from FLL to BWI via DFW. Problem is that I have only 34min in DFW to connect, & the required minimum is 35min...aa.com lets me book it. What happens if I miss the connecting flight? Should I go through DFW, or fly via ORD (with 1hr connection time), & get 1000 less miles?
Also, will 42min be enough time to connect back to DFW (I'm arriving to BWI at 3:02pm, departing back 3:48pm)? Will I have to re-check in at BWI?

Any help is appreciated
-Paavo T

By the way, this trip gets 7495 miles (with gold,& online booking&check-in bonuses) & costs $120.50
Old Aug 26, 03, 10:19 pm

You're only short the minimum connection time by 1 minute. I would give it a shot.
Old Aug 26, 03, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pAAvo T:
Problem is that I have only 34min in DFW to connect, & the required minimum is 35min...aa.com lets me book it. What happens if I miss the connecting flight? </font>
As others say, could give it a shot. If your 1st flight is early morning, you have a better shot than later in the day (FLL isn't an airport that has long taxis and/or waits for takeoff slots either). A misconnect might screw up your whole run. Determine what the next DFW-BWI flight is, and BWI-FLL routings. If you go for it, get a seat as close to the front as possible, wear running shoes, get to know the DFW layout **** well if you don't already, and be prepared to make a run for it (don't use the trAAM!) if you have to.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Also, will 42min be enough time to connect back to DFW (I'm arriving to BWI at 3:02pm, departing back 3:48pm)? Will I have to re-check in at BWI?
</font>
Might be the same a/c. Check these flights for the last few days at AA.com and see if the two flights arrive and depart from the same gate. Use web checkin (opens 12 hours in advance) before you leave FLL so they don't give your seat away.
Old Aug 26, 03, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the fast replies. The flight from FLL is the 1st flight of the day...shouldn't be a problem. Yes, what would happen to my whole MR if FLL-DFW or DFW-BWI would be delayed?
The flight sched is:
AA589 FLL-DFW, Dep 8:38am Arr: 10:40am,
AA622 DFW-BWI, Dep 11:14am Arr: 3:06pm,
AA1025 BWI-DFW, Dep 3:48pm Arr: 6:06pm,
AA1194 DFW-FLL, Dep 7:02pm Arr: 10:49pm

Only alternatives I have going to BWI w/o missing the flts back, are either FLL-ORD-BWI or FLL-LGA-BOS-BWI, and flying back BWI-ORD-FLL
Old Aug 27, 03, 12:27 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
34 minutes is close for DFW - you had better hope the inbound is on time, your arrival gate is open and more importnatly - the connecting flight departs out of sme terminal.

Sit near the front of plane and be ready to run.
Old Aug 27, 03, 6:35 am

Gates can be very far apart at DFW. I have missed connections with 45 minutes. The taxi ways can take 20 minutes also. Even the same terminal can be almost a mile. Check out the gates in advance on AA.COM so you don't need to waste time at the monitors. Check airport map in advance if you are not familiar with the airport. If you have to take the train, you may not make it as they run about evry 10 minutes, even though the sign says 2 minutes. It is essential to have a seat near the front of the plane. Also, it appears that they are now giving away seats if you are not at the gate 15 minutes before flight time. Good luck, you will need it.
Old Aug 27, 03, 8:09 am

Programs: AA PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dsugar:
If you have to take the train, you may not make it as they run about evry 10 minutes, even though the sign says 2 minutes. </font>
Is this a change? Maybe it's been awhile since I've connected in DFW, but I've never had a problem with the trAAin (in fact, have often chosen DFW over ORD to connect just because I wouldn't have to run if the gates were far apart).

Old Aug 27, 03, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The BWI connection won't be in a problem. I was using the T-Mobile connection in the gate area to work for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon. I'm not sure if that is the same aircraft or whether it went to ORD after arriving in BWI. I an event, you won't have any problem with the connection. All the AA gates are very close together.
Old Aug 27, 03, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses. Remaining question is that if I miss the flight to BWI, will AA hold me responsible for missing it because of the one minute & make me buy a new ticket? Or should I just take the connection via ORD & receive 800 less miles...
Thanks to you all again
-Paavo T
Old Aug 28, 03, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

*bump*
Old Aug 28, 03, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
If you misconnect, I don't think AA will make you buy another ticket. But if you are delayed enough to miss the last flight back, I'm not sure AA will give you a hotel voucher, either.

When I do a MR, I try to avoid depending on making the last flight of the day.
Old Aug 29, 03, 7:45 am

Programs: DL-GM, WN-CP, IC-Plat
AA has only 4 gates at BWI -- C1, 3, 5 and 7. It is likely that your inbound aircraft will also be your outbound. Checking today's schedule, there is an arrival from DFW at 3:16 (AA622) at C1 and departure to DFW at 3:58 (AA1737) from the same gate.

Search this Thread