Your Loyalty Threshold to AAdvantage

Old Aug 26, 03, 10:39 am
ShortyDog

Your Loyalty Threshold to AAdvantage

You need to get from DFW to CLT, flying out on 09/09 and coming back on 09/12. It's a "business trip" in the eyes of the airlines since there is no Saturday night stay.

Carrier 1: ATA. DFW/MDW/CLT and back: $297.50. Recent member of their FF program.

Carrier 2: AA. DFW/MCI/STL/CLT - CLT/ORD/MCI/DFW: $718.50. AAGold getting a total of 2,735 base miles

Carrier 2: AA. DFW/CLT and back: $1,394.50. AAGold getting a total of 1,874 base miles.

Given these three options, which one would you pick as a loyal AAdvantage member and WHY? Only catch: you have to justify the $421 or $1,097 difference to your supervisor.

Old Aug 26, 03, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, QF PLT, Marriott PLT
It depends on the value of your time to the company. IMO the choices are 1 or 3, but never 2. If the company thinks it's okay for you to spend your day tooling around America to get to your meeting, then take the ATA flight. If the company thinks you'll get work done by flying direct, take 2.
Old Aug 26, 03, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Are you AAGold looking to become AAPlatinum and need the extra miles/points? If so, I would choose option 2.
Old Aug 26, 03, 11:08 am

Contact AA marketing and show them the fair difference. Ask for them to match it.
Old Aug 26, 03, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum; UA Gold MM; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
[Deleted as duplicate. Sorry.]

[This message has been edited by cAAl (edited 08-26-2003).]
Old Aug 26, 03, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum; UA Gold MM; IHG Spire Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I'm flying ATA. It's a no-brainer. The price difference is outrageous, and I'd be doing a major disservice to my company to go with AA. I can't find any way to justify AA's premium price unless as bollar suggests, your time is so valuable that the nonstop routing on AA, even though it is vastly most expensive, is essential. Heck, for the hundreds of dollars in price difference, you can easily make up the AAdvantage miles (albeit maybe not any elite qualifying miles) through other sources.

[This message has been edited by cAAl (edited 08-26-2003).]
Old Aug 26, 03, 11:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
I agree. I fly ATA in this case. Spending $400 more and more time in the air for the miles is not worth my time nor my Company's money. And, $1,000 more is definitely not worth it for the miles even though the time would be less.

I am a very loyal AAdvantage member and have been since 1981, but this is a no-brainer and I'm sure AA realizes that they are not going to win them all.

------------------
What do you want to be, American?

[This message has been edited by inlanikai (edited 08-26-2003).]
Old Aug 26, 03, 11:30 am
ShortyDog

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kpdunphy:
Contact AA marketing and show them the fair difference. Ask for them to match it.</font>
I've tried that before several times when another carrier had a significantly lower fare out of DFW with just one stop or less. Each time, they basically told me to go *%&$&# myself. I don't think that approach works when you have to fly out of DFW.

Old Aug 26, 03, 12:13 pm

Location: Dallas TX USA - AA Plat, HH Diamond, Mariott Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Gold
Option 2 is BAD - You'll end up paying $421 for 2,735 base miles - 15 cents per mile. Not justifiable at all.

Option 3 if you do not have any time. Otherwise Option 1 is by far the best. I am sure loyal to AA, but not stupid.

I am not sure anyone will do the AA trip for the miles - they are just too expensive.

[This message has been edited by DallasCowboy (edited 08-26-2003).]
Old Aug 26, 03, 12:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
ATA

My threshold is a little over $100 to keep loyal to AA. I could not justify this to myself or my company
Old Aug 26, 03, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
I'm flying ATA with no ifs ands or buts about it. This is just a prime sample of how AA isn't competing with LCCs.

Old Aug 26, 03, 2:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DallasCowboy:
I am sure loyal to AA, but not stupid.

[This message has been edited by DallasCowboy (edited 08-26-2003).]
</font>
Old Aug 26, 03, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
Ok, so at what price would you ask your company to pay for the nonstop??

I'd fly it up to about $550-$575. After all, it's more time on the ground, and more useful time in the air because I'll get an exit row on the AA flight.

After that, I'm probably looking at ATA with horror.
Old Aug 26, 03, 4:04 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I leave on the 8th and therefore get the Sat. stay, cheaper fare, AA miles, and more hotel points, as well as a night of partying in CLT.
Old Aug 26, 03, 4:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ElmhurstNick:
Ok, so at what price would you ask your company to pay for the nonstop??

</font>
at the point where the company gets about that much in benefits relative to sending you massively out of the way in MDW... in this case, about $1000.

if you add up your lost hours in connecting circuitously, plus another allotment to account for the chances of the MDW connection being blown due to weather or mechanical, then the difference could easily come to $1000 in a hurry. and it would come to $500 for a lot of people, and to $200 for just about all Biz travelers...

Search this Thread