What if no upgrades left in account?

Old Jan 18, 2003, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
What if no upgrades left in account?

What happens if I ask to be automatically upgraded and there are not enough left in my account? They won't charge me for them at the gate wil they? I assume the system just passes over me and goes to the next person o the list. Right?
Old Jan 18, 2003, 11:38 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
You will be given the opportunity to purchase them at check-in.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 12:04 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
the system will upgrade you. when you get to the airport, you'll have to purchase stickers to support your upgrade.

if you don't want to do that, just call and have yourself removed from the upgrade list.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Noticed the AA site doesn't permit you to make a change to your pending upgrade request except to request one if that has not already been done. It seems impossible to remove an upgrade request on the site, so as noted, one must call to have it removed.
Old Jan 18, 2003, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the info. So I can wait to see if I get upgraded before I purchase them, right? Can I purchase them over the phone if I get upgraded at the 24-hour window so I can avoid the ticket counter?
Old Jan 18, 2003, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Yes, you can wait to see if you get upgraded. Beware that if you get upgraded and choose to sit back in coach, you will lose your previously-reserved coach seat when the upgrade clears.

Can't answer question #2.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TWA Guy:
Thanks for the info. So I can wait to see if I get upgraded before I purchase them, right? Can I purchase them over the phone if I get upgraded at the 24-hour window so I can avoid the ticket counter?</font>
Old Jan 18, 2003, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Right, and sometimes the agents have failed to remove me (there are so many different lists, so perhaps they checked the wrong one). It is best to call a few times to make sure that it was done right.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
Noticed the AA site doesn't permit you to make a change to your pending upgrade request except to request one if that has not already been done. It seems impossible to remove an upgrade request on the site, so as noted, one must call to have it removed.</font>
Old Jan 19, 2003, 2:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TWA Guy:
Can I purchase them over the phone if I get upgraded at the 24-hour window so I can avoid the ticket counter?</font>

You may purchase them over the phone ($50.00) but they are cheaper ($40.00) at AA.com or AAdvantage Dial in.

Old Aug 27, 2003, 12:09 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
I've been posting on a thread I started about LAX Labor Day Weekend travel to HNL but thought I'd drudge up this thread for a more specific question on upgrades.

My upgrades have been confirmed already for the outbound and are requested for the return (on Labor Day Monday). I currently have 8 stickers and each way takes 6.

I'd rather wait to see if the return clears before I purchase the add'l 4 stickers and would rather save the $$ and use AAdvantage Dial In (won't have access to a computer).

I remember reading here that the different forms of purchasing result in different time lapses for them to actually be available for use - but I can't remember the details, sorry.

So what is the cut off time for purchasing thru AAdvantage Dial in if I need them for a 9:30 AM flight this Monday morning? (Meaning, could I call AAdvantage Dial-in as late as 6:30 AM the morning of travel, and have them available for use if I checked in at 7:30 AM?)
Old Aug 27, 2003, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Lufthansa Frequent Traveler
I was under the impression that they were the same price regardless of where purchased. The only difference being if you bought them one at a time ($50) or in blocks of 8 ($40).

If this is the case, it would cost you the same to just wait to buy them a check in. Is my information correct, or have things changed?
Old Aug 27, 2003, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TexAAs:
I was under the impression that they were the same price regardless of where purchased. The only difference being if you bought them one at a time ($50) or in blocks of 8 ($40).

If this is the case, it would cost you the same to just wait to buy them a check in. Is my information correct, or have things changed?
</font>
Your info is incorrect. Things have changed. I think at the beginning of 2003.

Buy them before you get to the airport over AA.com.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 2:44 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
Buy them before you get to the airport over AA.com.</font>
Thanks for the replies. But I won't have access to a computer (atleast, not easy access) so was trying to find out about how long it will take for AAdvantage Dial-In purchased stickers to be accessible for use. Mahalo.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 6:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TexAAs:

</font>
you have an old rule. the new rule is: $40 for online purchase, $50 if there's a human involved, regardless of quantity...
Old Aug 27, 2003, 10:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I requested eight stickers worth of upgrades with only six in my account, all upgrades cleared 72 hours out and I went online at AA.com and bought two new ones. Ive requested an upgrade at LGA with no stickers and just purchased them there.

------------------
DC-10's Forever!
Running for Talkboard, All votes appreciated
Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:49 am
LLZ

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sk3:
Thanks for the replies. But I won't have access to a computer (atleast, not easy access) so was trying to find out about how long it will take for AAdvantage Dial-In purchased stickers to be accessible for use. Mahalo. </font>
I'm pretty sure they are available for use two hours after you purchase them over the phone.

This is also true if bought online, although it takes longer than that for them to show up in your account. Nevertheless, the AAgents can see and apply them two hours after purchase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.