Help w/ Seat Maps AA/QF

Old Aug 19, 03, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Help w/ Seat Maps AA/QF

I need your help please. Where can I find seat maps for the LAX/SYD portion of a DFW/LAX/SYD RT itinerary I am planning (Grainger festival in Adelaide) in Oct?

I am considering AA7364 (QF12) or AA7366 (QF108) LAX-->SYD, and AA7363 (QF11) SYD-->LAX. I fly coach and try to get two seats to myself in the back of the bus, so I'm looking for the least crowded flights. AA.com doesn't seem to show the mappings (it's QF metal), but Qantas also doesn't seem to show the map, at least not prior to purchase.
Old Aug 19, 03, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AAJetMan:
I need your help please. Where can I find seat maps for the LAX/SYD portion of a DFW/LAX/SYD RT itinerary I am planning (Grainger festival in Adelaide) in Oct?

I am considering AA7364 (QF12) or AA7366 (QF108) LAX--&gt;SYD, and AA7363 (QF11) SYD--&gt;LAX. I fly coach and try to get two seats to myself in the back of the bus, so I'm looking for the least crowded flights. AA.com doesn't seem to show the mappings (it's QF metal), but Qantas also doesn't seem to show the map, at least not prior to purchase.
</font>
Try these two sites:

www.seatexpert.com

www.seatmap.com - if you use AA flight #, make sure you input AA as the carrier. If Qantas flight #, well you get the idea...

Good luck!

I just realized you're looking for loads, not best locations. The seatmap option will show you some of the available seats, not all. For loads do the Galileo option on www.seatmap.com

[This message has been edited by andrzej (edited 08-19-2003).]
Old Aug 20, 03, 12:43 am

Thanks andrzej

For US airline, I like www.seatguru.com

John
Old Aug 20, 03, 3:22 am

Programs: OW Emerald
FYI QF "collect" families with small children in the back section of the plane unless they request to be seated elsewhere. Sometimes it's not the place to be.

Personally I hate flying through SYD because (a) even if the plane arrives early you cannot land due to curfew, (b) you have to take a bus ride from the intl to domestic terminals. I fly QF94 (AA7356) through MEL.

Also be aware that the rugby world cup is on in Oct. This will generally bump up traffic on all routes (although less so from the US cf Europe/Africa where extra flights have been scheduled).
Old Aug 20, 03, 4:58 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jridge:
Personally I hate flying through SYD because (a) even if the plane arrives early you cannot land due to curfew, (b) you have to take a bus ride from the intl to domestic terminals. I fly QF94 (AA7356) through MEL.</font>
The OP said his destination was SYD, so they don't need worry about the inter-terminal bus ride and would not want to transit through MEL in order to get to SYD. Your suggestion only makes sence if the final destination is other than SYD, MEL or BNE. However, I must agree that if you need to connect, then MEL is much more civilized and I chose it over SYD when I cannot get a direct flight into BNE.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Also be aware that the rugby world cup is on in Oct. This will generally bump up traffic on all routes (although less so from the US cf Europe/Africa where extra flights have been scheduled).
</font>
QF have increased the number of flights between LAX-SYD due to the higher demand at present. This extra service (QF149/150 I believe) may not have an AA codeshare. QF108 is the flight that originates in JFK on certain days and tends to be the busiest of the QF flights over the Pacific.

As for the original question, I assume you are not looking for static seat maps (which are on the QF web site), but you want to see which seats have been pre-allocated. These can be seen at seatmap.com. However, be aware that QF generally block out whole sections of the seat map and show them as unavailable for pre-allocation. This is done for several reasons, one of which is to reserve the most sought-after seats for premium FF's to pre-allocate. They will only allow pre-allocation up to a certain percentage of the aircraft, but will still reserve for pax with OW Emerald or Saphire status after this limit has been reached.

Note that unlike some other airlines, a QF seat map is unlikely to reflect the true booking density of the flight. The majority of QF passengers do not pre-allocate seats and take what they are allocated at check-in, which is a lottery that I am unwilling to take myself.

[This message has been edited by NM (edited 08-20-2003).]
Old Aug 20, 03, 9:43 am

[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:
The OP said his destination was SYD, so they don't need worry about the inter-terminal bus ride and would not want to transit through MEL in order to get to SYD. Your suggestion only makes sence if the final destination is other than SYD, MEL or BNE. However, I must agree that if you need to connect, then MEL is much more civilized and I chose it over SYD when I cannot get a direct flight into BNE.
</font>
I assumed that there would be an onward flight to ADL and the itinerary was being planned through SYD simply because they didn't know any better Your comments are correct, and my assumption might have taken too much liberty.
Old Aug 20, 03, 7:58 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jridge:
I assumed that there would be an onward flight to ADL and the itinerary was being planned through SYD simply because they didn't know any better Your comments are correct, and my assumption might have taken too much liberty.</font>
Definately for a connection to ADL I would be prefering QF94 to MEL rather than via SYD. Fistly, there is no bus required for terminal transfer - the INT and DOM terminals are adjacent. Secondly, the morning arrivals at MEL tend to be less so the immigration processing queue is generally shorter - but not always. This all leads to more tim in the Qantas Club lounge for a shower and freshen-up before connecting elsewhere. And the MEL-ADL flight is shorter than SYD-ADL.
Old Aug 20, 03, 10:04 pm
Original Member

If booked on the AA code-share, does anyone know at what point QF can see your booking in their system? This would affect pre-seat allocation. I know when DL and VS used to code-share, DL passenger names would only be loaded into the VS system a day or so prior to departure.
Old Aug 20, 03, 10:22 pm

I wouldn't count on low loads on any QF flight from North America. Last couple I have been on have been absolutely *packed*, both 107/108 and 11/12 (every seat, every class).
Old Aug 20, 03, 11:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by leroy11:
If booked on the AA code-share, does anyone know at what point QF can see your booking in their system? This would affect pre-seat allocation. I know when DL and VS used to code-share, DL passenger names would only be loaded into the VS system a day or so prior to departure. </font>
Should be the same day or close to it.
Old Aug 26, 03, 2:19 am
Original Member

Thanks, jridge.

Search this Thread