Questions about midcon foodservice in F

Old Aug 11, 03, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Questions about midcon foodservice in F

I'll be flying AA 384 (SJC-ORD) and AA 2499 (DFW-SJC) later on this month, and I've requested upgrades for both legs. AA 384 says it's "lunch" and the other flight says "snack". The other times I've flown these routes in F in May, I think they were both "snack", which consisted of choice of chicken salad or salmon something or other. Since AA 384 is supposed to be lunch, I was wondering what that w ould entail exactly and if I should bother upgrading at all. I can always cancel my upgrade at the gate, but I'll risk getting an undesirable seat in the rear. What say ye about the meal service on these routes in F? Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 03, 8:21 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bpauker:
I can always cancel my upgrade at the gate, but I'll risk getting an undesirable seat in the rear. </font>
Just a side note. I asked about doing just that for SAN-STL a while back since they upgraded me and gave me a bulkhead seat. A good coach seat is better IMHO, but coach was full and canceling the upgrade was not an option as all seats had been assigned and the cabin booked to 100%.

Old Aug 11, 03, 9:37 am

SJC - ORD- Will be the three course meal. Large salad, entree, cheese plate or sundae. I cannot speak to the midcons out of DFW.
Old Aug 11, 03, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Unless it has changed recently, the lunch service will be a hot, three course meal. You will have the warm nuts with your drink and then a salad served with warm rolls (and maybe foccacia). There will be at least two (more likely three choices) for main courses and may include a soup option (I've seen that many times) and/or a turn-over of some sort (could have changed, it's been a while). Dessert will feature the famous AA ice cream sundaes or a cheese plate. There is no second meal service.

FWIW, I have always enjoyed the midcon lunch flights.
Old Aug 11, 03, 10:29 am

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PresRDC:
Unless it has changed recently...</font>
One thing I recently found out is that AA has reclassified some flights from Dinner to Snack on eastbound mid-con service.

The 2:49pm SEA-STL flight always used to serve dinner, but it has been reclassified as a snack flight. I spoke with an FA when this first happened and they said that the changes were based on basing meal service on time of departure, not time of arrival.

Greg
Old Aug 16, 03, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Well it looks like I won't be riding up front on AA 384 afterall. For the first time in my admittedly brief platinum career, my upgrade failed to clear. *shrug* It happens, I guess. At least I managed to get 14D, which was vacated by someone whose upgrade did clear.
Old Aug 24, 03, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An update on the midcon "lunch" service.

When I flew LAX-ORD and SFO-ORD last year, the lunch service was a three course affair with warm nuts, salad, hot entree and fruit or sundaes.

Yesterday, I flew ORD-SFO on AA 781 a lunch flight. The "lunch" consisted of warm nuts, a cold salmon salad with pasta salad and feta cheese, prepackaged cheese and crackers and a package of Milano cookies. No rolls were offered, which, according to the FAs, was not a catering mistake.

This is the same lunch service I have seen on LGA-ORD.

To say I am dissappointed with this development would be an understatement. This was an embarassing meal for a midcon F flight. According to the FAs (who were excellent), most of this food goes uneaten because it is so bad.

Apparently, the dinner flights are retaining the traditional midcon meal service.

I am currently in the SFO AC waiting to board AA 1486 to ORD. Another lunch flight, I can hardly wait.

At least it's a 767.

[This message has been edited by PresRDC (edited 08-25-2003).]
Old Aug 24, 03, 2:37 pm

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
If you can, please post how your lunch was on your flight.
Old Aug 25, 03, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lunch on AA 1486 was very similar to the service on AA 781.

It was a single tray service with a choice of smoked chicken pasta salad or a turkey and cheese croissant. I chose the later, which consisted of two pieces of processed turkey and a slice of swiss cheese on a pretty low quality croissant and a packet of mustard. It was served in a glass salad bowl with a mixed salad of lettuce, cherry tomatoes, capers, olives and tomato slices. There was a slice of cheddar cheese and packaged Carr's water crackers. Dessert was a package of two Pepperidge Farm Brussels cookies, which I swear were smaller than those sold in stores. Warm nuts were served with the drinks and refills were offered.

The salad was nice, but the sandwhich left much to be desired. I am pretty sure I had the same sandwhich as the second service on a TWA MAD-JFK 767 flight in 1998.

Had there been sundaes, I would have considered it an adequate meal. However, a single tray, cold service on a three and a half hour flight was, IMO, inappropriate.

Frankly, I was embarrassed for AA and the, once again, excellent FAs who had to serve it.

[This message has been edited by PresRDC (edited 08-25-2003).]
Old Aug 25, 03, 10:07 am

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
Thanks for the report. Sounds like I won't have much to look forward on my LAX-ORD flight (#730) on Thursday then. I'll let you know how it went though.
Old Aug 25, 03, 10:22 am
LLZ

Last week:

Lunch FLL-DFW

Choice of chicken salad sandwich or shrimp salad. I had the sandwich which was 1/4 pannini with tomato and onion, roasted potatoes with sun-dried tomatoes, cheese and crackers and milano cookies. This seems to be the only lunch menu on this route as I've had it a couple of times.

Dinner DFW-FLL

Choice of chicken parmesan or filet (used to be three choices). Have had the chicken before and it was pretty good. Turns out I had the filet previously also. Served with cheddar-mashed potatoes, onion and pepper strips, and bbq sauce. Ok, overcooked. Should of had the chicken.

Search this Thread