getting upgraded on BA experiences?

Old Aug 21, 03, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 3 MM, HH Gold, SPG Plat
getting upgraded on BA experiences?

I am flying from LHR to Jo'burg in Sept and then Calcutta in October and was wondering what the chances are of an AA EXP getting cabin-rolled and if anyone would care to share their experiences.

Obviously I was thrilled to hear that BA now only award 25% miles now for economy fares - not. When I spoke to the BA Exec club today in North America about paying to UPG to World Traveller Plus I was treated to a display of utter customer non-service - what a difference when you call the Exec desk, they are awesome - AA all the way !
Old Aug 21, 03, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I was operationally upgraded to Club Europe on a FRA-LHR 757 flight this past April. The flight was completely full in Y. I am EXP, but was traveling on a very inexpensive ticket (around US$120). It happened at check-in BTW.

It was, as is any operational upgrade IMO, a pleasant and very much appreciated surprise.
Old Aug 21, 03, 4:41 pm

Not sure about upgrades, but I like the sound of being "cabin-rolled"..... . Nothing like a good cabin rolling to lock in the Mile High club membership.

Old Aug 21, 03, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 3 MM, HH Gold, SPG Plat
How did it work getting miles for the inexpensive ticket from - is the 25% rule being applied strictly ?
Old Aug 21, 03, 5:01 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flyingscots:
How did it work getting miles for the inexpensive ticket from - is the 25% rule being applied strictly ?</font>
Okay, serious answer this time. There is no "level of application" in the 25% rule. All discount eco fares on BA will only earn 25%. The system is now set up this way and it is an automated process. The only exception being that the 500 mile minimum is still in place for shorter flights.
Old Aug 21, 03, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flyingscots:
How did it work getting miles for the inexpensive ticket from - is the 25% rule being applied strictly ?</font>
It was before this policy went into effect. As such, I recieved the full 500 miles for each segement (LHR-FRA-LHR) and the 1000 EXP bonus miles (500 per segment). Today, I'd assume I'd get fewer miles, but I do not know the minimum numbers of miles you can earn.
Old Aug 21, 03, 5:47 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PresRDC:
Today, I'd assume I'd get fewer miles, but I do not know the minimum numbers of miles you can earn. </font>
Technically, isn't that number zero?
Old Aug 21, 03, 7:16 pm

I was op-upped on a BA flight from LHR to BOM flight back in 2000. What was funny is that I was on seperate itineraries and was connecting from SFO on UA. When checking in at the connections desk the checkin agent asked me if I had confirmed my flight to BOM. I stated that I did not and the agent's face turned a bit sour as if there was no way I was getting on the flight. I promptly showed my Platinum card and with after a quick phone call, handed me a boarding pass. When I looked at it, it was in J .
Old Aug 21, 03, 10:34 pm
csb

I was op-upped once on a CPT&gt;LHR flight from World Traveler to World Traveler Plus. This was only because a family was throwing a fit about not being able to sit together, and I had the aisle row in the row where four of the five family members were seated. It was a full flight, so they couldn't ask me to move to another aisle seat in WT, and I would have told them to f-off if they had asked me to take a center seat.

Other than a peculiar situation like that, I think there is zero chance of an AA elite getting an op-upgrade on BA. They don't even qualify you for an exit row seat.
Old Aug 21, 03, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Some family got op up from ET to CE LIS-LHR earlier this year. BA pundits have it that it was a purely random event and nothing to do with the fact everyone was AA PLT/OW Sapphire.
Old Aug 22, 03, 1:43 am

Sunday night i was op-upped from Y to J from JFK to LHR. I showed my (expired) AA GLD card at the club world check-in desks. Since I can't earn miles trans-atlantic the desk agent never looked me up in the system, so my card appeared valid on its face. I asked about rolling the cabins and she said no, as the flight was "full, but not oversold." When I went to board and my BP was rejected; I was given the double cabin upgrade. I'm sure it didn't hurt that I was flying back on Concorde.

[This message has been edited by audio-nut (edited 08-22-2003).]
Old Aug 22, 03, 3:15 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnG:
Okay, serious answer this time. There is no "level of application" in the 25% rule. All discount eco fares on BA will only earn 25%. The system is now set up this way and it is an automated process. The only exception being that the 500 mile minimum is still in place for shorter flights.</font>
This exception as you mention is not so. On an economy tickey which gets 25% mileage you earn 500/4=125 miles for each leg - this is the minimum.

Old Aug 22, 03, 3:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; VA Plat; AccorPlus Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MrBo:
Originally posted by JohnG:
Okay, serious answer this time. There is no "level of application" in the 25% rule. All discount eco fares on BA will only earn 25%. The system is now set up this way and it is an automated process. The only exception being that the 500 mile minimum is still in place for shorter flights.</font>
This exception as you mention is not so. On an economy tickey which gets 25% mileage you earn 500/4=125 miles for each leg - this is the minimum.

Not so ... see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum71/HTML/016964.html

I can confirm that as recently as this morning I had an ARN-LHR flight of 911 travelled miles credit with 500 Q-miles, 500 Q-points and 1000 regular miles (EXP bonus)

- Simon
Old Aug 22, 03, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Me and my friend both have only AY Silver (OW Ruby) cards and from the last 4 long hauls return flights we have taken with BA we have been upgraded 3 times from WT to WT+ (if I remember right once both ways).
Old Aug 22, 03, 10:16 am

Location: New York, NY AA EXP 1MM, Go Arsenal! Yanks in 2006!
The minimum then is still 500? So if a LHR-PRG flight is 644 miles, it's then 500 miles + .25 of the 144 miles, correct?

Search this Thread