FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   just hit 1,000,000 miles and 10,000 qualifying miles, what next (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/160385-just-hit-1-000-000-miles-10-000-qualifying-miles-what-next.html)

dsugar Aug 21, 2003 7:13 am

just hit 1,000,000 miles and 10,000 qualifying miles, what next

This may have been posted in the past but my search didn't find all the answers, so I apologize in advance for asking possibly redundant questions.

I just hit 1,000,000 lifetime miles this week and I am under the impression that I will receive lifetime Gold status.

1. How do I find out that Gold has been awarded.
2. I have read previously that I will receive some upgrades. How do they work, how and when are they received? When can they be used? Do they expire? Are these the electronic upgrades that show up on your statement? I've never had any before.

3. What other benefits are there of being Gold?

My statement also show 10,000 + ytd qualifing miles. I have read somewhere that I can expect some upgrades also. How are they received, used etc.

I realize that these may elementary questions for road warriors, but as I used to fly about 5 times per year, many of my miles came from other sources. It looks more like 7-10 trips per year for the next couple of years.

Thanks in advance for your help.

rbAA Aug 21, 2003 9:12 am

Congratulations. 1MM gets you 8 of the 500 miles e-certs and as of this time, Gold for life. As your 10,000 miles may have been flown prior to your Elite status date, you will not get the 4- 500 miles e-certs given for each 10,000 miles flown as elite. Check on-line and your account should reflect an upgrade to Gold status.

The 500 miles e-certs are used to UPG domestic flights, as Gold, 24 hours prior to flight. You need to request an UPG using e-certs.

Other benes are 25% bonus miles on the actual miles flown from this point, on AA or AA codeshare; some airports have Elite lines at TSA and of course, check-in at the First/Business class counter. Some AC's will permit usage, usually you have to be flying internationally.

[This message has been edited by rbAA (edited 08-21-2003).]

andrzej Aug 21, 2003 9:29 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rbAA:
Some AC's will permit usage, usually you have to be flying internationally.

[This message has been edited by rbAA (edited 08-21-2003).]
</font>
Golds don't get access to AC's, unless of course they buy membership. Sorry.

The upgrades could be requested at the time of reservation, but they will not clear till 24 hours before the flight or less. You will need 1 cert for every 500 miles or per each segment, whichever is less. They could also be used for Bermuda, Canada, Caribbean and Central America.