Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

What happens if you don't make 10K q-points for platinum challenge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2003, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Just wondering if you earn more than 5K q-points, but less than 10K q-points will one get gold even though you are challenging for platinum? My brother and his wife are going to Hawaii. He has enough business travel to make platinum, but not sure whether his wife can schedule enough AA flights to make platinum. Gold is assurred, but not platinum. Which challenge to go for, since the wife has no status.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 10:17 am

If you have signed up for the Platinum challeneg and dont meet the requirements, i.e. 20 K miles or 10K points, you will have not met the challenge and will not receive PLT. The points/miles have no bearing towards Gold as you didnt sign up for the Gold Challenge. Challenges cannot run concurrently.

If she is not sure she can meet the PLT requirements, definitely sign up for Gold instead of Platinum. She would waste the opportunity otherwise, if she signs up for the PLT challenge and doesnt complete it.

I would recommend doing a mileage run, the challenges are extremely easy to complete with such low levels of flying required,

[This message has been edited by JohnG (edited 08-19-2003).]
Old Aug 19, 2003, 10:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
I agree. Sign your sister-in-law up for the Platinum challenge. Tell her to do a mileage run. It should be fiscally attractive since the cheap autumn fare should be coming out soon.

If she lives on the west coast, don't forget to tell here that one also earns q-points by flying Alaska Airlines (at the same rate as one would on AA, i.e. 0.5 point per mile for discount economy).
Old Aug 19, 2003, 10:39 am

I had a different experience with my challenge. I was signed up for the PLT challenge. During the course of this challenge when I passed 5k Q-points, I had my status change to GLD. I did complete my PLT challenge as planned though and dont know what would have happened had I not.

YMMV
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Is the minimum number of Q points per segment 500?
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, (unless it has changed recently), you get at least 500 pts per segment.

d
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:39 am

Programs: OW Emerald
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnG:
If you have signed up for the Platinum challeneg and dont meet the requirements, i.e. 20 K miles or 10K points, you will have not met the challenge and will not receive PLT. The points/miles have no bearing towards Gold as you didnt sign up for the Gold Challenge. Challenges cannot run concurrently.</font>
You can do them concurrently (happened to me inadvertantly). But you'd have to explicitly sign up for both, i.e. as mentioned above if you fail PLT you don't automatically get GLD.

[This message has been edited by jridge (edited 08-19-2003).]
Old Aug 20, 2003, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
Yes, (unless it has changed recently), you get at least 500 pts per segment.

d
</font>
It has NOT changed. I called and signed up for the PLT challenge today, and made certain to clear this up. I got a very intelligent agent and she knew her stuff. Anyways... As I asked her about the challenge, she said I had already been signed up for one automatically, but it is a 6-segment challenge. Fly 6 segments before 9/15 get 10,000 miles, by 10/15 get 5,000 miles, by 11/15 get 2,500 miles. Interesting...
Old Aug 20, 2003, 1:01 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jjglaze77:
but it is a 6-segment challenge. Fly 6 segments before 9/15 get 10,000 miles, by 10/15 get 5,000 miles, by 11/15 get 2,500 miles. Interesting...</font>
Highly interesting JJ...did she give you any more info on this ? Is there a name for this challenge ? I.e. what fare class do the segemnts have to be in, if any ? Are you currently AA gold (trying to figure out who they signed up for this ) ?

I have about 10 segments coming up in the next few weeks and would love to maximise my miles.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 1:30 pm

I have seen this challenge being mentioned in one of the other threads. If I remember right that poster said 8 segments in the same date ranges for the bonuses. Apparently the offer is a targeted one.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnG:
Highly interesting JJ...did she give you any more info on this ? Is there a name for this challenge ? I.e. what fare class do the segemnts have to be in, if any ? Are you currently AA gold (trying to figure out who they signed up for this ) ?

I have about 10 segments coming up in the next few weeks and would love to maximise my miles.
</font>
ajacpril is correct that this is a targeted offer. The thing is I have NO idea why I was targeted. It was supposed to be for people based in LAX, SFO, LGA, JFK, DFW, AUS, and a few others, and I don't fly into any of these cities very much, and I HAVEN'T flown into any of these cities on AA (except DFW of course due to misconnects on DL). In fact, being a frequent Delta DFW traveler, the only reason I have ANY AA activity this year is due to misconnects or cancellations on Delta. I have 2 RTs that I paid for on AA, but it totals like 5,000 miles for the year. So the only thing I can say is call and inquire. I am quite sure about the 6 segment thing though... the only restriction that I was informed of was no L or N fares... anyways... hope this helps. I'm not a frequent AA poster/flyer, but with the DL medallion changes I will probably frequent AA MUCH more... hence the need for the PLT challenge now... Hope this helps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.