Is lifetime Platinum worth this?

Old Aug 20, 03, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Is lifetime Platinum worth this?

I just recently crossed over the 1.5M mile mark. I have received 500,000 miles in the last 18 months, mostly through credit card purchases through a massive remodelling job of my office.

At the AA site, there is a place to purchase miles for your customers, clients, etc., with a 250,000 mile minimum for $6162.50. Factoring in the miles I would get for using my credit card, I would be paying 2.4 cents per mile for 250k miles. Doing this twice would net me lifetime Platinum.

I understand that the lifetime Platinum offer is unwritten and can be withdrawn at any time. I should not be charging as much in the future, so it may take me over 2-3 years to reach the next 500k miles. Should I jump on this or let the miles accumulate in the traditional manner. Any opinions will be helpful.

Swimmin' M
Old Aug 20, 03, 9:03 am

Yes. As the program stand now, Yes. Double miles, AC access on Int'l AA flights and access to OW lounges.

Yes.
Old Aug 20, 03, 9:13 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by M2swim:

I understand that the lifetime Platinum offer is unwritten and can be withdrawn at any time.
</font>
Personally, I would be worried about this.
Old Aug 20, 03, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
I don't get it. If you're not flying enough to earn platinum, what good would it be to get the benefits? I mean, how much are double-miles really worth if you're not flying? And if you're not flying international, the lounge access is worthless.

I never understood why people would want to purchase status since they wouldn't benefit from it (at least not much).
Old Aug 20, 03, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GuysInCT:
I don't get it. If you're not flying enough to earn platinum, what good would it be to get the benefits? I mean, how much are double-miles really worth if you're not flying? And if you're not flying international, the lounge access is worthless.

I never understood why people would want to purchase status since they wouldn't benefit from it (at least not much).
</font>
Being PLT has other benefits like better award availability. If you collect hundreds of thousands of miles by charging it, award redemption would be of pretty high importance.
Old Aug 20, 03, 10:32 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Plato90s:
Being PLT has other benefits like better award availability.</font>
I wasn't aware of this. I haven't seen a difference in getting Austrailia award travel, though I have always been successful with the 25k Europe upgrades.

Is there really a difference between Gold (which s/he already is) vs. Plat for award redemption? I thought the differences only kicked in once you reach EXP.

[This message has been edited by GuysInCT (edited 08-20-2003).]
Old Aug 20, 03, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GuysInCT:
Is there really a difference between Gold (which s/he already is) vs. Plat for award redemption? I thought the differences only kicked in once you reach EXP.</font>
I'm not sure about which partners have it, but I know for sure that when claiming BA awards PLT/EXP have access to additional inventory than regular/Gold.
Old Aug 20, 03, 10:42 am

Location: Bangkok and Palm Coast, FL. Exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
500,000 miles for about $12,000 without having to do a lot of MR's at $.019/mile (after taking into account 100% bonus, double the cost for the actual miles needed to accompliash this,) in return for lifetime PLT plus 500,000 miles? I am sure that if you have some future use for these, the economics are sound, as the cost/miles is about what you would pay for butt-in-the-seat miles without all the Prep-H costs.
Old Aug 20, 03, 10:58 am

I've thought about this. Unfortunately, there's a limit to the number of miles a person can deposit to one's own account every year--something like 25,000 or 50k or perhaps even 100k--definitely won't let you deposit 500k. you may need to look into this first...

--bc
Old Aug 20, 03, 11:14 am
Original Poster

I did check further on the aamiles website and it does restrict it to 35k miles/year/individual account. Just looks like I will have to "loan" the corporation some money each month to get there. With the discount points I pay, It would still be around 2.3 cents/mile.

Swimmin M
Old Aug 20, 03, 1:54 pm

You might consider buying some savings bonds for part of the 500,000 miles you need. I think the limit is $30,000 per person per year.

Also if you have 200,000 + marriott points you can redeem for a complete travel award and get up to 120,000 AA miles as part of the award at 1 pt = 1 mile
Old Aug 20, 03, 2:27 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Plato90s:
I'm not sure about which partners have it, but I know for sure that when claiming BA awards PLT/EXP have access to additional inventory than regular/Gold.</font>
AFAIK, this is only on BA in Y (extra availability booked into V class).

AA EXP gets extra PlanAAhead space, but does AA even give their own Plats extra availability on anything? Not that I've seen or heard.
Old Aug 20, 03, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Another benefit of PLT.

Some airports (SEA, for example) require PLT or EXP to use the elite security line. I am not sure if this is enforced but that is what the sign says.

Search this Thread